Thread: Knight_Yellow's Upgrade Problems

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

In Knight_Yellow's previous (deleted) topic, I said:

Look here, battle-m8's: I'm going to close, then delete this thread because of the inflammatory title. I have no choice, because once posted, topic titles can't be edited, even by the original poster or a mod.

Knight_Yellow's problems understandably have made him hot...hence his choice of topic titles. But the content of this thread is not only not objectionable, it's helpful, funny and productive (other folks with similar problems can benefit from Knight_Yellow's problem and its resolution).

SO: in awhile, I'll copy/paste the content of this thread to a new topic

So here it is:
    ------------------------------

Knight_Yellow posted:
    Ok realy gettin pi$*%d off now, ive upgraded my comp from a 1.4 ghz athlon 60gb drive geforce 2 256mg to a 2.0 ghz athlon 80gb drive 256 mg quik memory same geforce, so technically i should have better performance with my new system...
    DO I HELL
    ive tried the geforce memory tweak but to no avail im gettin slowdowns in mp sp and even on the campaign map???
    does it have anything to do with my new mother board Chaintech apogee it better not be cos i paid 90 quid for it
    GAH realy gettin pissed off with this its ruining my life...

-----------------------------
    Then Knight_Yellow added:
    Oh another thing is that i got new speakers and for sum reason i think it might be them as only got the slowdowns when i put them in. WHY WHY WHY??????????????????? ME
    Then Alrowan replied:
    i found i had a few problems myself with sound, try different settings for it, perhaps make it hardware/software acelerated in the ingame settings, things like that.

i eventually managed to get new drivers which helped a ton
    Then Kraellin suggested:
    make sure you have windows and sound card set up for 2 or 4 speakers, depending on what you're using. and make sure you plugged them into the right jack. yeah, that sounds insulting, i know, but check it anyways. also make sure your stereo settings are set for that and not mono, unless of course you're running a mono system.
    And Gregoshi joked:
    Knight, you are too young to develop blood pressure problems. Don't forget to take 10 or so deep breaths, in through the nose and out through the mouth. Then start banging you head against the wall. You'll feel much better with a little contolled breathing.

Have you done as Alrowan suggested? Remember there are sound setting in the game as well as in Windows.

Edit: good point Krae. I know my SBLive configuration software warns me about insuring the software setting matches the physical setting for performance reasons.

And HopAlongBunny said:
    Go through your settings Knight.

The game seems to run ok on my athalon850mz with a G4 vid card. Your machine should not have any trouble so I would think it must be settings/drivers.
    And _Martyr_ volunteered:
    Runs fine on my p3 800, 384mb sdram, geforce2 32mb so it must be your settings, try defragmenting your disks, make a new partition for the page file, and make sure you are virus/trojan free. that should sort it out.

My friend runs medieval on a p3 500, 256 sdram geforce 4 so you really shouldnt have any problems
    ----------------------------
    And Lady Ann tossed in:
    You had too much fun with the head-rolling-feet-thumping-routing-army-screaming sounds, so now you have to pay for your bad karma.

Go the Annie-way. Go silent Let the sounds of the mouse-clicking-keyboard-punching-and-opponent/ally-cussing fill the room
    ---------------------------
    Finally, Knight_Yellow opined:
    Ok it got to the point where i reinstalled mtw and this time i veiwed the readme and looked at the known issues part and noticed that the game needs media player and since ive only had mtw on my comp i had the most basic version of it so ive just downloaded 7.1 (10 mg) and im gonna see if that was the problem after all this time.(fingers crossed X)
    --------------------------

That catches us up on the Will Knight_Yellow ever get a computer and MTW to agree? or How I learned to read the readme saga. Kindly excuse this brief interruption of your conversation.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

BTW, good luck on the MSMediaPlayer installation Knight_Yellow buddy. Sorry I didn't think that answer earlier.

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

hope it all works out for you.. i got Media player 9 yesterday
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

YEAH

For once i think it might be over it was the media player thing i had the most basic version and so far it seems to have worked i whent france and took out britian without any slowdowns when usualy i would have had about 3 or 4 per battle.
    Oh and even after uninstalling mtw then puttin it back on i still have my saved games double Yeah

My Scottish hordes will once again decend upon the pathetic rabbles once more to wage TOTAL WAR

British Army: be the best

Thumbs up

Awright Our Sooper-Dooper Scots Paratrooper is back

MP checks out OK too?

yip

British Army: be the best

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Thumbs up

Another satisfied customer, good for you KY
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Congrats Knight_Yellow.

Side note: sometimes I think companies should change the name of the readme file to topsecret.
    This space intentionally left blank

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

good to hear its all going good for you again, hope to face you later on in the battlefield once again
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven