Thread: province loyalty

Question

I started playing the game about three weeks ago, I'm still on my first campaign. I've been trying to keep my provinces loyalty at 200%, is this a waste of effort?

I do it by keeping a large enough garrison to have very high taxes at 200% loyalty. I've never had a rebellion, if I let my loyalties go down to around 110% will It make a difference?

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

there are essentially 3 types of rebellions, religious, political and military. your 'loyalty' rating shown in the province window is only the political loyalty and the threshhold for that is around 120$. above that and you shldnt get a rebellion for the province itself. however, you can also get military rebellions, civil wars, which is based on the accumulative loyalty of your armies and religous uprisings based on zeal and percent of your province having your religion. this last one is fairly rare, but you do see it, particularly if a faction has been excommunicated.

K.

Loyalty percentage should change. 100% must mean exactly that: no unrest for a near future due to your tax policy. I found the 200% loyal is a bit ridiculous. It's like more loyal than the king, or more catholics than the Pope. Or the usual give 110% of yourself speech.

Annie
    AggonyJade of the Brotherhood of Aggony, [FF]ladyAn or [FF]Jade of the Freedom Fighters

dont stick ur tax up high aswel otherwise the loyal goes down and a rebel come
    a stupid is as a stupid does
    Forest Gump

We will fight them on the beaches, we will fight them in the air
    Winston Churchill

If you are working at maintaining loyalty you are wasting a lot of time, and the game is time consuming enough. I always use autotax, it will automatically adjust taxes to keep loyalty above 120%. But tax rate is not the only factor, especially in newly conquered provinces where you will have to keep a large enough army to offset the change in ownership. Also several provinces are more prone to rebellion than others, you will learn which they are when you conquer them.
    To increase the loyalty in a province build both watch towers, a town guard (upgrades do not add to happiness), churches and monestaries. Always keep your king in a province so that he can maintain a direct line through either land or sea trade routes to all your provinces, and the shorter the better. Do this and the all your province loyalties will increase with time to 200% as you build up your infrastructure and trade.
    Always ransom your troops after a losing battle, it maintains the loyalty of generals.
    Don't initiate breaking treaties, it reduces happiness and loyalty. Don't worry about wanting to take some province, the AI loves to attack you when you get powerful.
    Marry about every third princess to a general of yours to raise all the generals loyaties.
    Don't use agents to strip titles from your own governers. Disband the unit first.
    Do not conquer too many provinces in too short of time, the new provinces will want to revolt with very strong armies.
    Try not to eliminate factions, leave them with one province, otherwise they like to find a lost heir and come back strong. Keep an emissaary, bishop and spy in each of your home provinces. Do this and you can reduce the tropps in the safe provinces to 1 unit and still effortlessly achieve 200% loyalty.

First post

Well I like to keep loyalty up so that I dont have to keep on worrying about uprisings, however in times of war when I need both $ and armies, I play a delicate game of keeping the population happy, and pumping money out of them as well Well I supose thats very realistic and it is a very important part of the game. Build buildings such as churches that improve your loyalty without needing a large number of troops. And agents are useful too. Avoid being excommunicated.

On anohter note, how long does it take 'till I can post in the other forums? Geez this system is very elitist
    Eppur si muove

Greeting _Martyr_. Welcome to the Org.

Perhaps in a day or two we'll set you free in the other forums - it takes time to make the engraved key rings for the forums. Classes on the secret, elite handshake start every Monday and are mandatory. Just kidding. The classes start every Tuesday. There I go again. I'm kidding about classes, the ring and, alas, even the secret handshake.
    This space intentionally left blank

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

i thought someone told you about the secret decoder ring, gregoshi.

K.

I knew there had to be such a thing. They haven't even given me the key the bathroom. And that is all I'm gonna say on that subject.
    This space intentionally left blank

Thumbs up

Very good info Edratman You might just have covered everything there was to the loyalty issue.

Yeah he pretty much sums it up. To keep it simple though, if you have 100% loyalty you will not get a revolt from the people. If you have a general with less than complete loyalty keep him in an army with a general who has outstanding loyalty or with your king. If the general has outstanding command and you want him to command his own army then give him a title to a province and his loyalty should go up to unwavering. After a succession, check your generals loyalties to make sure they like your heir.

I find it helpful when taking a new province to give governership to a general with a high dread rating so you will not need to keep as many troops in the province.

Keep a spy in every province if you can. Even the loyal ones, as they can catch assasins trying to kill your generals.