Thread: Number of troops in a province

After I conquer a province, I have to leave a lot of troops in that province for a while; OK but after some time, after the population gets used to the new ruler they should transfer to the new religion and let me move most of my troops out of the province. That doesn't happen some times (e.g. Portugal conquered with the Almohads) and I have to let in the province some 900-1100 soldiers. How do I get to convince the population to let me move my troops without getting a rebelion?
    Thank you for your answers

Senior Member Senior Member Jxrc's Avatar

Pick up a governor with high dread and let him stay in the province;

Lower tax rate;

Place a spy;

Convert the population (bishop, imam, churches, etc.);

Add buildings which make people happy (reliquary, cathedral, etc.)

Do not that sometimes a succession can trigger rebellion if your king had a virtue such as builder or steward while his heir does not or if the same heir as a bad vice such as avarice, unhinged loon, etc.

That's pretty much it as far as I know.

Hope it helps.

Certain provinces are more prone to frequent rebellion if not garrissoned properly. Portugal is one, I think Lithuania and Livona are as well.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

Lithuania and Livona are currently giving me a hard time. I noticed they have a high population ratio of orthodox religion so I plan to build churches there, keeps and send bishops there.

I think having a better keep and buildings like churces will help with loyalty.

Portugal is horrible if you take it as the Almohads. Its bad as it is but they always stayed rebelled when I had it. Tried everything, though was my first campaign so didnt know a lot. Eventually let them rebel and left it alone while i fought on. Gonna have to retry the Almohads now that I know a lot more.

Naagi
    If i pull the arrow out, will you suck out the poison?

Lord of the Kanto Senior Member ToranagaSama's Avatar

In my present campaign, Almo/Expert, I took Portugal after noticing that the Spanish were bribing them. So while the Portugest stack was blinking its intention, I attacked and won the day.

Summarily, two turns later, with loyalty around 58% and with a full stack present, I experienced a MASSIVE revolt and withdrew.

The Spanish decided to press their conquest of Portugal, but this time didn't have the money for bribery. The Portugese had about 10 units of KNIGHTS Suffice it to say that that after repeated attacks the Spanish were chewed to pieces and were unsuccessful in their aims.

Of course, I went in and picked up the pieces successfully, BUT this time I was ready for those stubborn Portugese. Seeing that even a FULL stack isn't enough to raise Loyalty, I surmised that it had to be something else as the impetus for Revolt.

I noticed that Portugal was 100% Christian, AHA So prior to my conquest I built a Mosque and pumped out 4 Imans in quick succession and dumped them in Portugal. That was it The Muslims began to be converted rather steadily and, importantly, I noticed Loyalty began to rise upon EACH turn. I had a Portugese Govenor with HIGH Loyalty AND I had my King and his Influence in residence until Portugal was 100% Christian. Whalla No more Revolts.

I no longer fear the conquest of Portugal, but am beginning to wonder if the US should start looking for Bin Laden somewhere in Portugal
    In Victory and Defeat there is much honor
    For valor is a gift And those who posses it
    Never know for certain They will have it
    When the next test comes....

The next test is the MedMod 3.14; strive with honor.
    Graphics files and Text files
    Load Graphics 1st, Texts 2nd.

build more peasants on newly conquered province,it will increase the overall loyality of that province...
    Those who are truly brave,never live in Fear...nuff said.

Try building a full slate of happy buildings. I don't know what all of them are but this is my min build in a new prov: border fort; church; inn; tavern. After those you can get fancy And start pumping out whatever the prov produces for a garrison.

Portugal, Livonia, Lithuania, Norway, and Finland always seem to need a large garrison; I think Portugal will rebel sometimes no matter what you do

Good Luck
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Welcome to the Entrance Hall BoboTotalWar. It seems you've got quite a few good ideas to work on. I can't add anything more.
    This space intentionally left blank

Slapshooter Senior Member el_slapper's Avatar

Mmmmh, In my last Almo campaign, I did swarm Portugal with Imams, spies & assassins. 250 men as garrison; no more. But that was after some years there.....

I usually don't mess with Lithuania & Livonia.
    War is not about who is right, only about who is left

Having a point of view upon everything is good
    Having a view upon every point is better

Senior Member Senior Member MonkeyMan's Avatar

As a sample section from my C:\program files\Total War\Medieval - Total War\campmap\startpos\early.txt

SetAttributes:: ID_KIEV Kiev 0 PAGAN_CULTURE LUSH AT_EASTERN_EUROPEAN -1 405 Kiev Castle_xzy INLAND FLAT NO_RIVER
    SetAttributes:: ID_LEON Leon 0 CATHOLIC_CULTURE ARID AT_SOUTHERN_EUROPEAN -1 540 Leon Castle_xzy INLAND HILLY NO_RIVER
    SetAttributes:: ID_LESSER_ARMENIA Lesser Armenia 0 ORTHODOX_CULTURE ARID AT_EASTERN_EUROPEAN -1 285 Lesser Armenia Castle_xzy INLAND HILLY NO_RIVER
    SetAttributes:: ID_LIBYA Libya 0 MUSLIM_CULTURE SAND_DESERT AT_ISLAMIC -1 90 Libya Castle_xzy INLAND FLAT NO_RIVER
    SetAttributes:: ID_LITHUANIA Lithuania 3 ORTHODOX_CULTURE TEMPERATE AT_EASTERN_EUROPEAN -1 330 Lithuania Castle_xzy INLAND PLAINS NO_RIVER
    SetAttributes:: ID_LIVONIA Livonia 4 ORTHODOX_CULTURE TEMPERATE AT_EASTERN_EUROPEAN -1 290 Livonia Castle_xzy INLAND PLAINS NO_RIVER
    SetAttributes:: ID_LORRAINE Lorraine 0 CATHOLIC_CULTURE LUSH AT_WESTERN_EUROPEAN -1 350 Lorraine Castle_xzy INLAND FLAT NO_RIVER
    SetAttributes:: ID_MALTA Malta 0 CATHOLIC_CULTURE ARID AT_SOUTHERN_EUROPEAN -1 285 Malta Castle_xzy COAST HILLY NO_RIVER
    SetAttributes:: ID_MERCIA Mercia 0 CATHOLIC_CULTURE LUSH AT_WESTERN_EUROPEAN -1 270 Mercia Castle_xzy INLAND FLAT NO_RIVER
    SetAttributes:: ID_MILAN Milan 0 CATHOLIC_CULTURE ARID AT_SOUTHERN_EUROPEAN -1 390 Milan Castle_xzy INLAND FLAT NO_RIVER
    SetAttributes:: ID_MOLDAVIA Moldavia 0 ORTHODOX_CULTURE LUSH AT_EASTERN_EUROPEAN -1 170 Moldavia Castle_xzy INLAND HILLY NO_RIVER

each of the numbers after the region name in the entry is the 'rebeliousness' of the region, as you can see livnia is 4, portugal is 4 also. I believe you can set them up to 6 but i found that 5 was pretty impracticle. Most provinces as you'd expect are set to 0 with the odd trouble make here and there.

Religious structures, border forts and governors/kings with happyness bonuses and high dread will help in most cases.

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Portugal, Scotland, and Norway always causes problems for me as far as rebellions go. When I conquer them I usually keep a sizable garrison (500-800 troops, a few elite but mostly peasants and spearman) and burn everything except crops, border forts, and churches. I burn the ports so that spies don't infiltrate easily throught the ports. I also keep a large contingent of spies and priests. I hope this will help....
    RIP Tosa

Senior Member Senior Member MonkeyMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (daveinkorea @ Dec. 19 2002,15:45)]I burn the ports so that spies don't infiltrate easily throught the ports.
    This will break communications with your king and do more harm than good.

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Good point MonkeyMan, I just like burning things
    RIP Tosa

Lord of the Kanto Senior Member ToranagaSama's Avatar

Thumbs up

Monkeyman, Nice post
    In Victory and Defeat there is much honor
    For valor is a gift And those who posses it
    Never know for certain They will have it
    When the next test comes....

The next test is the MedMod 3.14; strive with honor.
    Graphics files and Text files
    Load Graphics 1st, Texts 2nd.

Send imams, moslems, etc. in the target province some turns before your invasion to prepare religious background
    Also in high zeal place you have to have a governor with high piety instead of dread. And many happy buildings of course. Does town guard play such a role too?
    But be ready to few revolts in Portugal and other freedom loving provinces anyway.
    Also one 100-men unit even of peasants sounds much more then few 60-men units.