Thread: How stupid is the AI?

I have to express my recent disappointments in the various quirks in the strategy and tactical AI. On the battlefield, I have seen it march units constantly from one location for seemingly no reason. Occasionally it moves a number of units to a single spot on the field and stands there allowing me to fire at the disorganized clump of soldiers facing every which way. On the campaign map things are a little better, though I have still seen some actions that are a bit illogical. The computer seems to dislike the human player more and more as the game progresses, no matter at what level of development he is at. I have seen the computer refuse an alliance or a marriage to my faction for seemingly no reason, both when I was an undeniable world power and a relatively minor faction with little expansion. The AI is not bad per se; a lot better than in other games I have played, but it is still rather annoying and I hope some of the most grievous offenses are fixed.

After a while I learned that their is some reaons behind the AI's decisions regarding alliances and war, but I admit it seems biased against the player. If not the game might be a bit too easy.

I've seen the AI do some strange things on the battlefield too and other times I've been shocked and beaten by the AI. I guess you can consider it the 'human element' of the AI - sometimes you're up against someone good other times someone not-so-good.

Did you install the patch? The battlefield AI is superior post-patch IMO.
    - All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

What do you mean the battlefield AI is superior before the patch? I find it fairly easy.

I cant install the patch, game crashes constantly after installing it.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Jeroen Hill: What do you mean the battlefield AI is superior before the patch? I find it fairly easy.

Exile was talking about POST patch not pre patch. Post patch AI is alot better with calvary mainly because it will charge enemy infantry and if possible pull back and charge over and over until you are routing (or dead).
    "It's a trap!" - Admiral Ackbar

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

the agressive behaviour of the AI as the game progresses is absolutelly normal most of the times , it ussually coincides with the player having conquered most of the map or being the superior power of the game , in this case since all the other countries face extinction they will attack the player in every opportunity ( and this opportunity is the player being engaged in a war). so to me its absolutelly normal to face multiple attacks when you are strong ( the byzantines had to run from the middle east to the danube all the time because of that)
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

I have a poll about the ai in Main hall feel free to go there and vote
    There I see my father.
    There I see my mother, my sisters and brothers.
    There I see my line of ancestors back to the beginning.
    They call on me and ask me to take my place with them in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.

TheViking a.k.a AggonyViking a.k.a FearTheViking a.k.a WildboarViking

Quote[/b] (gabrielvilleda @ Dec. 24 2002,11:05)]
    Quote[/b] ]Jeroen Hill: What do you mean the battlefield AI is superior before the patch? I find it fairly easy.

Exile was talking about POST patch not pre patch. Post patch AI is alot better with calvary mainly because it will charge enemy infantry and if possible pull back and charge over and over until you are routing (or dead).
    So I should install the patch to have better game experience? Suck ass since the patch only brings me crash to desktop.

I agree to all being said...

I tend to exploit it mercilessly though... Its fun destroying that potentially dangerous unit in range of your 200 arbalests..

And well the danes owned over 60% of the map... had Turkey surrounded, I decided to be nice and offer them a ceasefire.. The insolent bastards declined, and were destroyed.
    Death to light, to law, to love!
    Cursed be moon and stars above!
    May darkness everlasting old
    that waits outside in surges cold
    drown Manwë, Varda, and the sun!
    May all in hatred be begun,
    and all in evil ended be
    in the moaning of the endless Sea!

Hehe, they tend to fight till the last man, but this also enchance the game from strategical commanding to butchery