Thread: Flags

I wonder how the developers could do such a terrible historical mistake as giving the italians (Venice)a green flag with a lion(or maybe a dragon).It is not the venetian flag neither the italian oneThe old italian flag was red with St Mark's lion and the bible under its paw and it has always been the venetian flag since its founding.The green flag they put in the game is simply horribleIs there any way to change it,maybe by changing one of the model files?
    Bonifacius VIII

I think as the English are red already the Italians got stiffed and stuck with the green flag by the developers...which I think is the Doge's personal banner or something like that.

If I remember my history (and I don't) at this point Italy was much like the HRE on a smaller scale...lot's of bickering city-states all jockeying for position and rife with politics (after all Machiavelli was Italian )and not really what one would call a stable feudal monarchy-led state- hence there wasn't a national flag for much of the middle ages.

Can anyone back me up/shoot me down on this one?
    Never trade blows with the enemy.

Member Member Geoffrey_FiztRogers's Avatar

Actually, there was no Italy until Victor Emmanual unified the boot in 1870. Or was it 1869? At this point in time it was several city states. The kingdom of the Two Sicilys was Norman. What the show as Italy looks more like the Lombard league with Venice added.

Hi there Bonifacius VIII. Welcome to our forums

Many others have pointed out similar issues with the game. I think it all comes down to compromises made trying balance historical with game play issues. IIR, changing the flags (in battle at least) was one of the first things done with the demo came out. Search the Dungeon forum and you may have your answer.
    This space intentionally left blank