Thread: Not Understanding Movement

Hey, I've only been playing MTW for a couple days now, and I'm really getting confused. It seems the computer's forces can move across numerous countries and even across waters to attack me. Am I missing something here, because it sure doesn't seem like they should be able to do that. It isn't that they are attacking me with ships, because I kept an eye on that and that isn't what it is. But I swear that armies come out of nowhere and invade me. Any idea what the deal is?

Kauza, in the name of the Org, welcome

The units seem to fly all over the place on the campaign map. Are you seeing this on coastal provinces only or interior provinces too? There must be ships involved only you can't see them.

This does bring up a good question though. Maybe some of the resident experts can help out. Do you need a border tower or border fort to see other factions' ships in a sea province adjacent to a land province you own?
    This space intentionally left blank

As long as a ship is their in the sea province you can see and stop enemy landings. However, I recall something like this in a game or two where the enemy seems to spring out of nowhere. It could just be that a nearby province connects to yours and you don't realize it or maybe their forces were garrisoned or just hired mercenaries.
    Could it be rebellions popping up?

I have seen AI armies show up on 2 or 3 occasions where they should not have and saw a king escape a trap a similar number of times. Every time was a defensive response to an attack of mine and every instance was at a sea province. I have never seen an invasion that was not ship supported and never saw an invasion that went through a blockade of mine.

But the vast majority of time the AI does move by the same rules as the player. I never figured out how it was able to move in those few instances and merely accepted it as a game variable.

Red face

Odd.
    I don't wanna get off on a rant here but............That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Command, come in. Have arrived in Venice, streets filled with water. Please advise.

Resident Lurker

Now that you mentioned it I remember an enemy king eveading a perfect trap. He had no adjacent province to run to yet he eveaded my capture. Could have not escaped by sea.

I wonder what factors may be present that we are missing?

Hey everyone, thanks for the really good responces. I took note of everything you all said and I'm still not totally sure but it may have been ships sneaking in from other places. I haven't decided if the problem is only coastal, but I should hopefully see some more soon. I will keep an eye out and see what I can figure out. Thanks again

One last thought on the subject: did you have any agents or border tower/fort that could see the enemy forces in the provinces in the direction from which the attack came? Or was the strength of the enemy forces unknown before the attack?

Gregoshi
    I can not say for sure (I don't even remember what I had for dinner last night)but I always have a bishop in every province as soon as possible. But the specific incident I do remember I did not have a ship in every sea zone because I recall making the time consuming shift of all my ships one sea zone before hitting end of turn.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] Kauza: ... It isn't that they are attacking me with ships, because I kept an eye on that and that isn't what it is ...
    I just want to add, the AI can use it's ally's line of ships to leap across ocean. So the only way to keep an eye of your province is to blockade the shore with your ship.

Kauza, could u be more specific as to which province was under attack? cuz for instance troops from cordoba attacking morocco may appear as if they crossed granada, but actually the provinces are connected with a land bridge

----
    off topic, Gregoshi u haven't seemed to run out of greeting lines for new members. Might nominate u for that alone lol
    Luck Often Comes if Courage Holds

That is the hardest part of my job.