Thread: newbie guide......

choose your faction wisely, catholic is easier to begin with

make the units with high acumen govenors straight away and leave them in the provences as this increases income

do not underestimate trade and naval power

in provences with trade goods build trading post/ports/merchants and create trade routes, florin will surely flow

the map can be conquered quickly using sea power...attack the enenies rear to cripple him

create a large mixed army of quality troopa and lesser units

try and kill any weak faction close to you as quick as possible...useful for those playing french/english as this links your armies

ensure the right general is in comand keeping an eye on heirs/king who may userp command from the best general

use numbers to attack trying to force the enemy into a retreat

try diversion attacks (even with 1 unit) to stop the enemy reinforcing the objective provence

use quality in defence, the quality units in your army

were you are vastly outnumbered order to hold positions and sit it out, dont be tempted to chase the enemy offscree just use cavalary to harrass, this will only bring fresh foes to the battle

in that scenario dont let your archers fire all at once (unless trying to kill the enemies leader), that way arrows will last the battle

to avoid excommunication launch coordinaed attacks and storm the castle when you get the two year warning

after gaining required territory sue for peace to free trade routs

keep an eye on loyalty and religious stance building relevant buildings were needed

thats it i hope its ok with forum regulars

moda pleases delete or add to if you so wish

hmm very helpfull information for new people for mtw they should much aprricate it.
    Expect The Unexpected.

Go tell the Spartans, Stranger walking by, That here, Obedient to their laws, we lie. - King Xerxes

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

not a bad starter guide, quite a few good points.
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

alby thanks for the great info. I started my 1st campaign with the Biz.,early. Even though you're eyed by the other factions, you get access to great units( Kataphraktoi, Pronoiai Allagion, etc.), early on. Also with the tradeable goods, you learn how to set up trade routes to build up income. Cheers
    e tu Brute

Question

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Citera[/b] (alby @ Jan. 05 2003,13:29)]make the units with high acumen govenors straight away and leave them in the provences as this increases income
    Do the govenors have to stay in the province to gain the income bonus for acumen? I thought you would get a 10% bonus for each point of acumen a govenor had wherever he was, is that wrong and in that case exactly how is the production bonus for acumen calculated (and for that matter the influence of dread on a province)?
    And the shadow fell upon the Land, and the world was riven stone from stone... The seas boiled, and the living envied the dead. All was shattered, and all but memory lost, and one memory above all others, of him who brought the Shadow and the Breaking of the world. And him they named Dragon.

I don't think governors have to stay in a province to get the income bonus for acumen. I may be wrong though, could someone please clarify this for us. Thankyou
    e tu Brute

if you play hard/expert the governor seems to have an effect, dread just menas that he aids to keeping ppl loyal

i dont know if junor patrons can acsess this but the table of contents done by the cheetah the guild archive guy is really helpful to beginers and seasoned players alike.

basicly cheetah has added all the really good topics and put them in a easy to find list cataloged by subject. topics are many but include.
    battle strategy
    unit advantages and disadvantages
    how to trade
    strategic strategy
    etc etc etc.

link to the table is

table of contents

Lord Romulous

Secret Vice
    Sick, Bitter and Twisted.

+3 pervisity +4 cursing +7 to chance of wearing purple pants.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to put together that information alby.

Junior Patrons can read (only) posts in all forums.
    This space intentionally left blank

Quote[/b] (Gaius Julius @ Jan. 05 2003,14:57)]I don't think governors have to stay in a province to get the income bonus for acumen. I may be wrong though, could someone please clarify this for us. Thankyou
    I think the positive effects of the governer decrease the further he is away from his province so I usually leave him garrisoned in the castle, unless of course things get desperate and i need him in battle elsewhere.
    Your jest shall savour but a shallow wit
    when thousands more weep than did laugh at it

- Henry V

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

A point where I actually differ.

I don't use numbers to force a retreat. Instead I take a force that's just large enough to compell the enemy into a fight. Leads to ranson florins and/or valor increases for your men. Always try to take a qualitatively superior army.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Hi there, good start

not a bad idea to check out Table of Contents and skim other posts to avoid repetitive posts though, but anyhow:

Quote[/b] ] ... I think the positive effects of the governer decrease the further he is away from his province so I usually leave him garrisoned in the castle ...
    Doesn't matter where they're at. I personally prefer grouping them in several provinces as garrisons. That way we can check up on them easily each turn, case they develop bad v&v then fire them, or simply replace them out with better candidates as the game progress. I also don't mind 15% corruption as long as they have 5 accumen or more (the corruptions are often nullified by other good vices & virtues)

In addition; Dread is useful for rebelious provinces, Piety for high zeal provs and often prevents from getting killed by inquisitors.

Quote[/b] ]try and kill any weak faction close to you as quick as possible...useful for those playing french/english as this links your armies
    Yeah it's good, but sometimes we can also corner them and let them live as cash cows (king ransoms) every turn for at least 10K florins.

Quote[/b] ]use numbers to attack trying to force the enemy into a retreat
    Yeah it's good, but this reduce the chance of our generals of becoming mighty heroes (unless they already are) ie developing good battle v&v for command stars and valors. Also the retreating troops will eventually gather around somewhere unless we deplete them into a castle retreat or kill them on the spot.

Luck Often Comes if Courage Holds