Thread: Shogun not compatible with GeForce 4 or P4's??

I've been reinstalling some of the older games that I've owned onto my pc that I bought this past summer (specs below). I'm having graphics problems with Shogun. Whenever I'm on the battlefield, there are graphical spikes that appear wherever I point my mouse cursor. I don't know the technical term for these spikes except to say that they look like lightning bolts all over the screen.
    I know that Shogun does not officially support XP Pro. But I don't think that is the problem because I was able to get this game to run on my old system running XP Pro (PIII 1000, Geforce 2 Ultra, SB Live 5.1 Gamer).
    I'm guessing that it might be either my GeForce 4 card and the newer 40.72 dets or the Pentium 4.
    I was using the 12.9x dets on my old system to run this game and I remember that it initially would not run on the older 7.xx det drivers.
    At any rate, I'm not going to go back to any older drivers just for this game. But I'm wondering if there is anything else I can check for to get rid of my graphics problem.
    Is there anybody else out there with XP Pro/P4/GeForce 4 running Shogun smoothly??

Thanks in advance,
    ST
    P4 2.26, 533 MHz Frontside Bus, Intel D845EBG2L Chipset, 1.24 GB SDRAM DDR 266 MHz, IBM 120 GB Hard Drive, Visiontek GeForce 4 Ti 4400, SB Audigy Gamer, TDK 40X 12X 48X VeloCD CDRW, Klipsch 5.1 Promedia Speakers, XP Pro

Well, from my experience (tech support) it looks like a GF4 problem, not P4 of XP, as I am sure a lot of people use similar rig to play the game. There were several threads that had to do with hardware problems, especially GF3 and Radeons... Just check the DUNGEON.

My brother's GF3 was having similar problems, but with different games... It were drivers for him, and an older version of DirectX. If you have the newest DX9 you might want to go back to DX81, as there are talks about problems with ver9.

I assume that this is the only game that has problems, and that the card you have works fine otherwise? How about other games? Did you get the patch?

Yes I installed the patch. I installed DX 9 some time ago and have since installed a number of other programs/software so I can't revert back to DX 8 via System Restore. Unless you know of another way to get rid of DX 9 without reformatting...

I also remember a similar graphics problem with UEFA Champions League 2002 which is NOT XP compatible either. I didn't think anything of it at the time but since you're asking, there are no problems with any of the other games I've installed besides these two.
    P4 2.26, 533 MHz Frontside Bus, Intel D845EBG2L Chipset, 1.24 GB SDRAM DDR 266 MHz, IBM 120 GB Hard Drive, Visiontek GeForce 4 Ti 4400, SB Audigy Gamer, TDK 40X 12X 48X VeloCD CDRW, Klipsch 5.1 Promedia Speakers, XP Pro

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Hi steady teddy, welcome to the org. Our main host, Gregoshi, has stepped out for a moment. I'm helping out, but am unable to move your question to the Apothecary for technical assistance. I can't access the moderator control panel for this particular forum. Be patient and as soon as Gregoshi gets back he can move it for you. Meanwhile, can you access the Apothecary? Even if you can't post there, you may be able to read any threads that are discussing a problem like your own. Wish I could offer more help than that, but unfortunately I can't at the moment. Hang in there.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

I tried posting this topic in the Apothecary section but was not allowed to.
    I'll do a search and see if I can find anything.

Thanks

I've copied you problem and posted in the Apothecary here: Spikes in Shogun Graphics
    This space intentionally left blank