Thread: Sam Archer Usefulness Reduced

This is DEFINITELY not my imagination... samurai archer accuracy and damage over time has been greatly reduced. I noticed at first that the "sound effects" you hear when lots of men are dying (as opposed to just one) was happening when my archers would shoot an enemy at close range, yet I'd only see like 2 guys died. Now on a Japanese campaign as Imagawa in Warlord Edition, I defended Shinano against like four attacks using 8 archers. I didn't get any units (even ashigaru) down lower than 45 or so before they reached the top. I used to whittle them down so low they'd rout before they even got halfway up. I guess they wanted to really EMPHASIZE mongol superiority, since skirmisher damage is way way higher than archer damage was even before expansion.

Anyone else noticing this?

------------------
    Koga no Goshi

"Nandai"
    Since time began
    the dead alone know peace.
    Life is but melting snow.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

I haven't seen such a drastic change...
    Could it have been that your enemy had armor or honor upgrades? I've noticed that you (and the CPU) get much tougher units to start than in the original STW.

------------------
    "You have offended my family, and you have offended a Shaolin temple."
    "You have offended my family, and you have offended a Shaolin temple."

hmmm...I didnt see it..

AKA EasyCo
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you on the field of battle, and hear the lamentation of their women.

I did that same defense you're talking about, but with two 120 man archer units and one 120 man cav archer unit. I routed two full 120 man ashigaru units with heavy losses on their side, one guy lost from friendly fire. I also made two archer and YS units take heavy losses, mostly from the SA. So no, I don't think they've been toned down in ranged combat.

[This message has been edited by Alastair (edited 08-14-2001).]
    My motto: Be sharp, not
    well-rounded.

Koga No Goshi, sounds like your just a crap shot

------------------
    PUUUUSSSSSIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE POOOOWWWWWEEEEEERRRRRRRR!!!

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Koga,I've been playing a campaign with Shimazu on hard and I seem to be getting higher kill ratios with my archers than I used to get before.Maybe your enemy units have legendary armor.One of my archer units,60 men,had 53 kills and did not melee in that battle.I do notice that my archers are also easier to kill though.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

My archers have been devastating to the Mongols in my campaign. The MLC like to gallop up and have a shootout with my AC and SA and when they do they get clobbered. I cover my front with AC in open order and they usually exact a pretty good toll of Mongols before they flee.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

*pops out with pale and unhealthy looking skin from playing Mongol Invasion so much*

No, I haven't noticed this either. Rather, SA have been a boon to me against the Mongols, just like Nelson-san. I've been playing as Hojo in the Mongol Campaign and archers have been great!

EDIT: Still having trouble with that UBB code.

[This message has been edited by Shiro (edited 08-14-2001).]
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa

I went back and played original, and then came back to Gold... there is definitely a difference, for me. I'll try to pay more attention to unit honor, etc., but Im' seriously noticing this big time.

------------------
    Koga no Goshi

"Nandai"
    Since time began
    the dead alone know peace.
    Life is but melting snow.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Quote Originally posted by Lord Aeon:
    I haven't seen such a drastic change...
    Could it have been that your enemy had armor or honor upgrades? I've noticed that you (and the CPU) get much tougher units to start than in the original STW.

[/QUOTE]

I think that may have been the case. I started a 1530 Jap v. Jap campaign last night and practically eliminated a 60-man YS unit with two SA on a hill. Koga, what year campaign were you playing? I think the later campaigns start with armor bonuses, but I haven't had a chance to play them yet.

It was my understanding that archers were supposed to be improved for the X-pac.

Ok thats in the mongol campaign'but is it still effective in the sengoku campaigns or has it been reduced across the board?

Hach
    The greatest thrill in life is not to Kill' but to let live!

I've been reading in the xpac manual that the archers are supposed have better aim and more effective. Maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't noticed any difference anyways. I'll try to be more attentive to it, and report back.

The archers certainly die MUCH faster in melee combat than ever before... however, their ranged attack seems to be at least equal to STW.

Archers are the only units doing any damage to my pretty horsies in the Mongol campaign.

------------------
    Disappear into the Darkness!!
    "If your soul is imperfect, living will be difficult." -- Ryo Hayabusa, DOA2

"Hey, why are the enemy throwing their cookware at us?" *KABOOM* -- Thunderbomber sneak attack!