Thread: to heir is human

first post, i've been reading the forums and there's lotsa good stuff here, thanks.
    have a question about succession of heirs but first some general thoughts, gotta say i'm quite addicted to the game, my wife refers to the game as my girlfriend (as in you gonna be out with your girlfriend til 2 am tonite?). On my second campaign, Early English Hard. Tried Easy the first time and it was def. easy. Doing Ok with 2nd one but my royal family is a bunch of dolts, thank god for the good generals, Strongbow is the man.
    anyway, about the heirs, King Alfred croaked before his first son came of age, so his brother took over, i assumed he was like a regent, but when Edward came of age his uncle remained king till he died and the uncles sons were added to the list of heirs. the uncles sons remained as heirs after he died and i thought there might be some civil war when one of those sons came of age but fortunately not (there as much dolts as the king). Was civil war a possibility and just didnt occur in this case? Was this the actual historical way it happened, i.e., brother becomes king and holds it until he dies rather than when the son comes of age? Its nice to have the extra princes with knights added though.
    Love the historical aspects of the game, i read before about people keeping a log of thier campaign history and royal family tree and i've started doign that, wish that could have been incorped right in the game though but ya gotta love it even with the warts.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Hi Jazzman, glad you decided to join us.

To answer your question, as far as the game goes, the Uncles can become heirs over the sons, before they come of age 15-16 years old. I believe after the sons come of age, the uncles are out of the succession picture unless you experience a civil war. Every campaign I've had was different, sometimes I'd have so many heirs that the family succession was never a problem. Then once in a while my king would only have daughters, no sons, he'd die, and his brother would take over and be an unmarried 62 years old. Needless to say he would die long before any son he may have would come of age. Then it's civil war time.
    Glad your enjoying the game. We may have to start a TW Abandoned Wives Chapter here. I get similar comments from mine.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

You guys have to have a system: We here at home divided week into the
    *game-time (MTW, Ghost Recon) and
    *play-time (mostly my wife)
    so that there are no conflict of interest. So far it works, so everybody is happy

thanks for the replies, i saw a show on history channel recently about Richard II. He was uncle who took over as protector and just killed his two nephews before they came of age (nice guy, what kind of v&v's do you think he got for that?). We have to wait at least til they come of age. But, doesnt seem realistic to me to just send them alone in stupid battle to get killed, i always give them some reasonable amount of army and fight it straight to give em a chance. did that for Edward before his uncle died in ireland and I surprised myself in a good victory, unfortunately he got recalled that year when the uncle died and the irish rebelled with more than twice the number of rebels they originally had, must have been the guinness to give'em strength.

Hey Jazz. You like to watch history channel? Restart and set your game for expert. Anyone who takes the time to actually read these forums is wasting their time on anything lower then expert.
    "Enough talk!"
    -Conan the Destroyer

hehe, SmokWawelski. You just wait until 'Game time' and 'Play time' have to be divided by 'Kid time'. It's factorial too and a function of too much 'Play time'.

I usually try and sort my heirs out by weeding the wheat from the chaff. When you are at war a valiant rush into enemy territory with an unwanted heir can be most useful. I usually try and pick a region I don't border and that doesn't have a port.

An epic tale of the heroism is read at the funeral.

Welcome and since everyone answered your question already I will leave you with a.

Have a good one.