Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post here your ratings for WE or MI

Hi guys, in my overall dissapointment i want to see how u rate the add on. use % and if u want to change your rating later than just edit the post. btw keep the topic tidy and use it only to post the rating. 1 thread for every player.

REMEMBER JUST 1 POST PER PLAYER, correct your post if u want to change anything

BUMPING...keeping this post up by editing your own thread dont add new meaningless posts to say u bumped it

[This message has been edited by MagyarKhans Cham (edited 08-16-2001).]
    quote:I gallop messages around, dont track me I can bring war as well

mongol era 65%
    -----------------
    Japenese era 95%
    ------------------
    Plus side:
    ----------
    1)new units to play with
    2)MAP EDITOR!!!
    3)better GFX for the old units
    4)Honour of player is shown in the foyer
    5)F1 key does work
    6)the hot keys have not been change much
    ------------------
    Minus side:
    -----------
    1)new units all look the same as each other
    2)No color diffrence between you and you allys in Mongol era
    3)Bad voice overs for the generals
    4)THERE IS NO WAY TO PLAY MONGOL vs. MONGOL!!
    THEY NEED TO ADD A FANTACY ERA WHERE YOU CAN USE ALL THE UNITS ON THE BATTLE FIELD IN ONE GAME!!!!
    6)no time limit diplayed in the foyer stating wheather the host has a time limit set!!! (this has been asked for many times)
    7) no way to have the attackers koku higher like in the custom battles(this would help some people out in the games like for instence in the clan war campaign (hosted by magy)
    ---------------------------------------------

Overall i like the new add-on it is fun and the maps are better the units are good. the mongols need to be redefined a lil...
    Clan Shades
    come by and give us a visit
    ShadeLord Shiba a member of clan shades

[This message has been edited by ShadowKill (edited 08-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ShadowKill (edited 08-12-2001).]
    Clan Shades
    come by and give us a visit
    ShadeLord Shiba a member of clan shades

my Khan gives the add on a 70%

upside
    ------
    finally Mongols!!!
    mapeditor
    new units
    little improvments

downside
    --------
    routbug
    no mongols vs mongols
    no human vs human campaign or tools to do it ourselves
    speed is to high
    f1 screen
    silly voices (done by asian employess of ea)

[This message has been edited by MagyarKhans Cham (edited 08-12-2001).]
    quote:I gallop messages around, dont track me I can bring war as well

Senior Member Senior Member The Black Ship's Avatar

75%, or a solid 'C'.

Can't believe it took this long to get this! The Japanese campaign still has the same feel (although Geisha are toned down considerably, and the AI seems way more aggressive), even with the noticeable attempts to make strategic alliances meaningful. The game is better, I just don't know why it took so long.

As for the Mongols...well I just don't think they should be so overwhelmingly better than the Japanese. Seems like the simple way out for the programming team. That said...as Magy said at least they're here

Haven't gone on-line yet...been too busy. I do realize though that this will be a whole new learning process, what with armor/weapons upgrading, and game type options.

So yeah....a C
    All we are saying....is give peas a chance - Jolly Green Giant

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

I think the mongol campaigns ae boring...give it a 75%

The improvements on the original campaigns...99.9% Much much more fun!
    Silence is beautiful

Senior Member Senior Member Shadelord's Avatar

i give it a soild 90% over all
    now you all have a great day because when night falls there will be hell to pay

Clan Shades Website
    Shades

My first impression, based on the Mongol SP only, is about an 80%. The Mongol SP is ridiculously easy on Normal mode, but it's hella fun, anyway.

I suspect that my rating will jump substantially once I play some of the other SP modes, particularly the modified starting positions. If the new strategic options are as everyone describes, Sengoku SP should be even more fulfilling than before!

The big variable, then, is multiplayer. Multiplay balance and Singleplay balance are quite different animals. I can see that playing with Mongols online could be very little fun for either side, with the total dominance of their cavalry. Mongol games may have to be restricted to low-koku to prevent whoring of Mongol Heavy Cav.

------------------
    Disappear into the Darkness!!
    "If your soul is imperfect, living will be difficult." -- Ryo Hayabusa, DOA2

"Hey, why are the enemy throwing their cookware at us?" *KABOOM* -- Thunderbomber sneak attack!

I think i'll have to give it an 83%.
    Since i wasn't expecting too much, i wasn't terribly disappointed by anything the game didn't have. There ARE a few things i would like to have seen:

1. A way to adjust discipline in custom battles, plus more of an overall emphasis on discipline.

2. The strategy school... i thought this was a pretty cool idea, and i have to say that i'm wondering why it wasn't included.

3. Personal preference - archers with flaming arrows would have been nice. It simply would have added an extra level of coolness. Modding tools, anyone? Maybe in a patch?

4. More units, diplomatic and military alike.

5. New cutscenes - didn't someone say that there were more cinematics for geishas, ninjas, etc.?

Anyway, what i did like was the greater emphasis on diplomacy, although it ocould have been a bit deeper (another idea: maybe a new unit, called an 'infiltrator' -or something much cooler - could be introduced. This person could be used like a shinobi to enter provinces and embezzle koku fom the enemy)...

And i also appreciated that ronin were more aggressive, the whole bribing situation was pretty cool (although bribes are usually so expensive that it's usually cheaper to just raise a large army), and alliances have a much greater impact on the game.

Overall, not bad, but, like others, i would like to know what the heck took so long.

------------------
    "You have offended my family, and you have offended a Shaolin temple."

"You have offended my family, and you have offended a Shaolin temple."

Senior Member Senior Member Zen Blade's Avatar

So far... only doing the japanese campaign stuff.

Playing as Mori in 1550 start... (highest difficulty)

MUCH MORE fun than the original so far. Not necessarily harder, but much more fun. I hate armies of 1000+.
    A- as of right now.

Pluses:

-Historical accuracy has been improved by leaps and bounds.
    -Found Asai Hidemasa... no Nagamasa yet
    -Better starting conditions which allow for more random and exciting games.
    -NO HOJO horde yet. VERY balanced, although Shimazu starts like wild fire.
    -Easier to understand/see what is happening.
    -Ronin's have flavor now. (very well done)
    -Alliances hold and are important.
    -Religion has a more definitive impact so far. (shimazu had 1/3 his lands revolt while going Christian).
    -Armies don't get overly large. Which is Very nice. (so far at least)
    -Heirs are more accutate and more plentiful, which is historically correct and prevents clan destruction.
    -DRILL DOJO! I love it... it is the "medicine dojo+upgrades" dojo... But it isn't automatic.
    -AI is better tactically and strategically, not great, but better.

well those are the immediate plusses. A big plus goes to the historical corrections (with a minor error so far).

Minuses:

A VERY BIG ONE.
    CRASHES... I have had several throne room related crashes when emissaries come a knocking. (50% of the time) THIS DID NOT HAPPEN BEFORE. I also had the game crash while in battle.
    -Mori Heir... they took Takamoto off "heir" status, but left "yoshinari" on... This is backwards. Yoshinari should have been take off.
    -took me a few turns to completely figure out how to use the drill dojo.
    -Shinobi's appear extremely important now... I put this as a minus only b/c I don't usually have too many... but this could be a plus.
    -"Auto-resolve" of province battles is bad... I had 500 vs 300 and I lost the battle and 300 men while the comp. lost 150. I wouldn't stand for this and so went to the last save and played the battle myself.. The computer retreated before engagement.
    -3 way battle... all of us were at war with one another, but the battle stopped as soon as the defender was routed... Oda and I both attacked and were still engaged in combat with each other.
    -maybe unbalanced towards Shimazu since he is surrounded by ronin provinces, while the east is pretty scrappy... but this could be fine... don't know enough yet.

oh yeah, one more plus... more music.

Overall, I am very impressed by the adjustments in the original game... I need to figure out if the Asai are a ronin force or not though...

-Zen Blade

------------------
    Zen Blade Asai
    Red Devil
    Last of the RSG
    Clan Tenki Council-Unity, Retired
    SHS Core Member
    Zen Blade Asai
    Red Devil
    Last of the RSG
    Clan Tenki Council-Unity, Retired
    SHS Core Member, Retired
    Derelict from an older age.

I agree with Zen Blade's assessments of the Japanese campaign, that's by far the best aspect of the expansion.

The problems come in with the Mongols and how they stack up (or over) against the Japanese and will in MP.

Oh, and all the bugs.

------------------
    Koga no Goshi

"Nandai"
    Since time began
    the dead alone know peace.
    Life is but melting snow.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Pluses: Ronin aren't just Ronin, they're CLANS!
    Sengoku other eras are GREAT! A+ for this part.
    Kensai are unrealistic and useless with 120 man units. There should be two Kensai per unit with 120 man units.
    Mongol units cost a lot. I think people will come to realize that the game is balanced in terms of koku.
    All strategic graphical improvements (stars and ports and stuff)
    Attack and armor and stuff. This is what balances the Mongols. Japs can afford these, while Mongols can't. Good job.
    Halving the build time and cost for structures. This greatly increases the viability of farm upgrades and actually GETTING a few legendary structures before the campaign ends.
    Map editor. I don't know much about this part, but I'll put it in just because it is a plus.
    Drill dojo. I haven't used it yet, but if it lets you upgrade units, then kudos to the devs.
    Diplomacy and bribes. A+ for this part too. Now I actually build an emissary and use it!
    New beach maps. If you can land from the sea onto them, then A+. If not, F- for false advertising in the form of a screenshot on the box with a boat on it. I haven't figured out if you can or not.

Minuses:
    Mongols are the idiot generals paradise. Just charge with your cav and you have a serious chance of winning, no tactics needed. However, it's not like they're imbalanced in terms of their strength to koku ratio.
    Rout bug.
    Other bugs.
    Release date. For the improvements and the amount of bugs still in the game, this shouldn't have taken that long.
    Kicking up dust. Ultimate in lag generation.
    No toning down of monks. I sandwich them with YS and they're STILL winning easily.
    Weakening of SA. A Samurai, even with a katana, should always beat an Ashigaru.
    Toning down of YS. Cav of any sort should NEVER beat YS with close honor ratio and no flanking. (which they did in a river battle of mine)
    Only one landing point for the Mongols. In all the screenshots, they have the Mongols coming from the East, and now they ONLY land in the West. I was hoping for randomized landing points (along the northern coast, of course).
    No color diff.
    No mongol vs mongol.
    No jap vs jap mongol era.
    No fixing of the Kensai-like Daimyo effect.
    No strategy school.
    No medical facility.

Overall, a D+ for the Mongol era, and an A- for the Sengoku era.
    My motto: Be sharp, not
    well-rounded.

Alastair: Actually, as I understand it, the Drill Dojo serves as a "medical facility" as well as a training center, in as much as the units which pass through it are replenished to full strength at the same time that their discipline is boosted. A thoroughly useful structure, I should imagine!

And I agree about the Ronin upgrade. Not that the fact that they're given clan names somehow changes anything, but it's just a really nice touch. One of those nifty polish things.

------------------
    Disappear into the Darkness!!
    "If your soul is imperfect, living will be difficult." -- Ryo Hayabusa, DOA2

"Hey, why are the enemy throwing their cookware at us?" *KABOOM* -- Thunderbomber sneak attack!

As the resident pro-EA, pro-MI optimist, let me try and address some of the points raised here. Keep in mind I don't have the game yet, so it's all more or less conjecture.The game shouldn't be penalized for appearing late - it doesn't make the game itself any worse, just speaks of inefficient publisher bureaucracy. As far as we know, it was actually ready in the early July.They could have added a Mongol vs. Mongol mode to be courteous, but IMHO the only reason to have a Japanese vs. Japanese mode in the Mongol era would be to get to see Ashi Crossbows shooting at one another. Now, I haven't seen them in action and thus don't know how cool they can be, but I speculate the sight isn't something I would die for. Lord Aeon-san's suggestion for fire attack has been discussed before, and the consensus was that making it worthy of Sun Tzu's vision would require too much changes in the engine to ever be worthwile.More units?! The expansion more than doubles the amount of combat units, with the bribery option the usefulness of the Emissaries is tripled, and if Shinobi importance has been increased as well... Whaddaya want already? A lollipop? Bladesama, the autoresolve is supposed to perform worse than the human player. It's a feature. And random chance affects too. (The three-way battle thing must have been a bug...)Dust is cool. If your computer can't handle it, turn it off. Turn it off in MP too. It's nothing to complain about. (Uhh... you CAN turn it off, can't you? )Monks should have been toned down, but AFAIK YA have always beat SA in a one-on-one match. That's what they have spears for.Any other Mongol landing point than Kyûshû would have been criminally unhistorical. All the screenshots show the landing point as Kyûshû.[/list]Oh, and Alastair-san, it has been established that the boats are there just for show. In beach scenarios, the attacker is forced to deploy on the beach, where the defender can then slaughter him. Lacking siege engines, there isn't really a point in simulating the landing itself.

------------------
    "It is my sole wish to serve the Emperor as His shield. I will not spare my life or honor."
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, composed on December 6, 1941
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Senior Member Senior Member Erado San's Avatar

And as fellow optimist and resident chief tech nerd, let me add that the tech problems so far are very very very few!!!

Zen's and Koga's reports have my attention in the tech forum, and I don't see anything that is hard to solve at the moment.

So far, this is one of the most stable releases I have seen lately. Exclude from this the registration problem that some people have. This happens outside the game itself and so far there is no conclusive knowledge about whether this is a database screw-up or an error in how they registered.

But keep your posts and opinions coming. Excellent thread!!!
    A voice from the past is heard in the lands...

Mongol part of game : 55%
    Japanese part of game : 90%

Pro :
    -Japanese campaigns are more various - smaller starting lands make for longer campaign.
    -Improved AI. It actualy tries to pull of some flanking now.
    -Historical Campaigns. Liking them Interesting battles. How am i supposed to defeat Takeda though , with that split army..
    -Units are a bit more smooth. Naginata looks cool in the new uniform too
    -Morale has improved. I think this is a pro , though it is weird to see a h0 cav archer fight till the last man..
    -Kensai aren't the horror everyone feared it was. At 600 koku , it cannot live up to its cost.

Cons :
    -MAJOR IMBALANCE!! Mongol Heavy Cavalry is unstoppable, NO unit can beat it 1v1.
    -Skirmishers seem a bit strong too.. With a nice lineup you kill about 25 men in one volley...
    -Mongol infantry units all look alike. (excuse me , Korean)
    -Mongol voices... teehee
    -No mongol vs mongol battles - with the MHC as it is , this will not be a nice situation for the player playing the japanese.
    -Pathfinding around castles is still horrible , same goes with impassable mountain parts.
    -MHC is too strong!!!!! (sorry just felt i needed to say it twice to boost the effect)

upside
    ------
    finally Mongols!!!
    mapeditor
    new units
    little improvments

downside
    --------
    routbug
    no mongols vs mongols
    no human vs human campaign or tools to do it ourselves
    speed is to high
    f1 screen

------------------
    "It's better to let the enemy alive as to kill it ... To TORTURE it!"
    It's better to let the enemy alive as to kill it ... To TORTURE it

Gifted Dilettante Member DragonCat's Avatar

Japanese era 90%+
    Mongol era 79%+ and could go higher with a good patch

------------------
    DragonCat
    "On the prowl . . . ."
    DragonCat
    . . . on the prowl!

Senior Member Senior Member Obake's Avatar

Here's my take, having played online Friday night and spending the rest of the weekend driving the Mongols back in to the Sea (on normal).

Mongol HC is very well balanced in the campaign. Yes they are still incredibly powerful but with the upgrades the Samurai start with and those that you build as the game progresses, they are not undefeatable. It looks like you will need at least an H2 Yari with 2Armor and 2Weapon upgrades or an H3 Yari 1/1 to handle the MHC one on one. Online I would expect that it will take at least an H4 or 5 Yari with at least a 1/1 upgrade, and preferably a 2/2 to do the trick.

From a campaign perspective though I'd give the Mongols a 90% playing as the Japanese. Haven't gotten far with the Mongol campaign yet so I'm going to hold off rating that for a bit longer. Haven't played Sengoku either so I'll hold on that also. (Still haven't made it there yet)

Here's some additional information on playing as the Mongols in the campaign (normal difficulty).

So far it's been a romp. From what I can tell the AI needs to be focused more on upgrading their infrastructure (ie. Farms and Mines to generate substantial amounts of koku along with Castle/Swordsmith/Armory upgrades to provide the quality of troops needed to beat the Mongols). From what I've seen so far as the Mongols, I keep running into hordes of easily beatable troops rather than the fewer numbers of difficult to beat troops I had as the Samurai.

When I played as the Japanese, I split my koku about 50/50, 60/40 in favor of infrastructure upgrades until I had at least enough to build 2/2 NC/HC/Yari/Nags. At that point I shifted to a 60/40 split in favor of troop building and was able to overwhelm the Mongols with superior quality and numbers. If the AI did the same, the Mongol campaign would be much harder to beat. (Hint Hint Target) Maybe they do that on Hard/Expert but I haven't gotten there yet. I'll let ya know.

Biggest drawback I've found so far is the way re-inforcements are handled. I don't have a problem with them coming in all over, but I am concerned about how long we have to wait for them to come in. There should be a steady flow as unit's are destroyed or withdrawn as they were in the original. There is also some issue with their movement. If you try and group select them and move them as they are coming onto the map, they will scatter for the edges and stay there. You have to leave them alone and wait till they come to a complete stop before trying to select all and have them move to a certain place on the battleground. I've also noticed that re-inforcements are NOT coming in Fresh! Not sure if that was intended or not, and I'm not sure if I like it yet either. But it sure will prevent the see-sawing of troops as you route his with Fresh troops then he routes yours with fresh troops and so on.

As far as online play goes, I'd have liked to see Mongol v. Mongol also, and the MHC are overpowering in ways the monks could only dream of, so I'll give it an 80% because of the new game types and the additional options in troop selection. I believe we'll start seeing higher koku amounts and fewer units selected as this game really gets in to full swing online!

------------------
    Obake

I warned you, but did you listen? Ohh, no...it's just a harmless little bunny, isn't it?

[This message has been edited by Obake (edited 08-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Obake (edited 08-14-2001).]
    Obake

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Senior Member Senior Member Erado San's Avatar

bump. More please.
    A voice from the past is heard in the lands...

My first impressions were bad but the more i play it the more i like it infact now ive played it abit i think its great! the mongol hcav arent as powerful as we first thought, the single player campaign is great imo map editor is great, i even had fun with some of the historic campaigns when takeda shingen kicked my butt!!! i like the new diplomacy as u really can work with an allied clan to work over japan, and is good when he picks you over someone else, bribing is also fun and useful especially bribing ronin, kensai arent too powerfull at all and ninja are excellent i also like the naginta cav and most of my single player armies have 4 or 5 of them , so overall improved singleplayer, great new units , multiplay armor/weapon upgrades will be fun i give it 85% just couldent make 100 cause of lack of multiplayer campaign also the new maps are great and the large ones will make for great battles online

Swooooooooooooshooooooooooooowl

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

maybe i will play it online... when i get it

Senior Member Senior Member LordTed's Avatar

It depends on your expactations of the game before hand........

Senior Member Senior Member The Daimyo's Avatar

I'm not saying anything yet. I still need to play through some more campaigns and really test this puppy out.

So far though I haven't experienced any bugs.

Crappy AI behaviours in Easy/Normal SP modes and restricted army for an era choices in Multiplay are not happy things though.

My take so far though is that there's nothing here that can't be fixed with some fine tuning. I've already started on that, here.
    I'll give my review of this all at my site later in the week....hopefully!

------------------
    The Daimyo
    Miaowara "Kakizaki" Tomokato
    @ http://www.planettotalwar.com

Senior Member Senior Member Obake's Avatar

Edit bump!
    Obake

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Member Member KumaRatta Yamamoto's Avatar

BUMP
    KumaRatta Yamamoto Sonkei soshite yuki Ratta Ichizoku. Come and visit us : www.rattaclan.homestead.com

Disappointment and awe...

I have yet to try out the Mongol Campaign, but on the Japanese SP side I have to give it an 80%. When I first cranked it up I would have said 98%, but some gameplay time has changed that.

Pro's

Battle mechanics are greatly improved - specifically it seems that height provides more of an advantage to missile units than it used to.

BattleField Ninja -
    probably the most difficult unit to use correctly - but well worth the tactical challenge.

Revised strategic infrastructure requirement
    The cost and time to build have been modified and allow for more challenge to balance vs your war machine.

Strategic map flexibility -
    Army and strategic unit pathfinding on the map, the ability to destroy buildings and units no longer needed, along with a cleaner interface.

Battle graphics tweaking -
    the dust from running units on dry, bare ground is a wonderful thing.

Ronin -
    the coloration and naming gives them a much more realistic feel

Stability -
    Running on W2k Pro with Nvidia graphics card - not a crash yet.

The Drill Dojo - retraining units is a godsend!

Reinforcements - THE BIG ONE!!!
    Not only is "random" placement not realistic - its a serious handicap to the defender. ESPECIALLY when defending a river province. The whole desire to claim rivers is that they are easily defended - but that goes out the window when your hit from the rear by 3 or 4 cav units who should NOT have been there. The river runs thru the entire province - how did they get around the river? Especially if I own the adjoining provinces and have them garrisoned - no way that this "flanking" could occur.

On non-river maps - the defender is again handicapped. As defender, you get to pick your spot - usually the top of a hill, often with your "back to the wall". Your set up fine, your attacked and a couple of units bow out - letting fresh ones join in.
    Problem is - the 2 Yari Ashigaru who just left are replaced by the 2 naginata's you needed to hold the hill - except one popped out in a valley way off to one side and the other is clear on the other side of the map!
    Guess what - by the time they get there - they will be to tired to lift a sword!

As the attacker - random unit placed is also a real pain since you can have the enemy on the run, get hit with fresh troops - you back out or rout, only to have your reinforcements pop onto the map in the worst location - either surrounded by enemy units OR on the wrong side of the map to be of any use.

Not to mention the ATROCIOUS reinforcment AI! In 4 river battles - 3 have ended with me being forced to exit. Why? you ask.... simple - the reinforcing unit popped out on my side of the river, tried to cross and got stuck on one of the outcroppings that form the river bank. That would not be so bad except they were still in the edge tile - meaning my melee units could not reach them, nor would my ranged units fire on them - even after I tried force fire! They would start - the game logic would see the target in the edge square and stop my guys before the first arrow flew! They would not or could not move, and I could not hit them.... Play a battle for an hour or 2 and then have that happen......

Kensai Sword Saints - max these guys out with +3 on armor/swords and morale - along with improved discipline - make 6 and charge! If the defender has less than 16 units of ANY kind, he is sunk! The only way this can be beat is by using the random reinforcement to literally tire the Kensai out so badly they are vulnerable.
    You can use cav archers to run and harry them, but cav archers take forever to get a single kill and during that time the cav has been "herded" and slaughtered by the multiple Kensai. Other units just pretty much roll over and die if attacked by more than one SwordSaint. Flanking attacks on them are not effective - you must literally sacrifice your men until they are too tired to fight effectively - then you need fresh troops to hammer and kill them.
    They need to be rebalanced a bit - perhaps a weakness to muskets, or to battlefield ninja.

Speaking of ninja - the "kill a SwordSaint" bug - if the SwordSaint is also a general - it is easy to target him for assassination. While his battle honor may be 4 or 5 - a nearly impossible target for a ninja - its based on his GENERALSHIP honor - which is usually MUCH lower. The ninja kills the general - which also is the ONLY man in the unit - swordsaint goes bye bye!

Multiplayer -
    Maybe it was just me - but I could have SWORN that the XP was to have TRUE TCP/IP multiplayer! Its peer to peer - but you have to make the connection thru EAPlay. That is just a real PAIN - especially when one has a couple of friends that already are fired up to play and then we all have to deal with the EAPlay lobby mess.

Geisha -
    Again - they never miss. This was a serious flaw in the original, and its recreated here. Per the manual, the Diamyo knows that the geisha is there and is intent on doing him harm - but cannot "by protocol" do anything about it. Well, "by protocol" he could make sure she never got a chance to kill him tho! Or at least he should have a small chance of defending himself!

Lastly - the default acceptance of any offer to be visited by an emissary or barbarian offering trade. How many times have you all hit the turn key, hit the space bar to scroll past messages and OOPS you got yanked into the throne room because some ship landed and it asked you and defaulted to "Yes send the man in so that I can make a deal with him" when your answer was "I am hitting the spacebar so that I can HURRY UP AND GET TO THE NEXT TURN!"

The game will get a SERIOUS increase in my rating if they can rebalance the SwordSaint and fix the reinforcement issue. The others are secondary - altho the geisha does need attention as well.

So far - 80% - a very low B
    potential for an A here tho.

Skkzarg
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"

Senior Member Senior Member Dark Phoenix's Avatar

Well that last one is your impatience and if you took say 10 more seconds you wouldnt have this happen.

Well now that I have it I must say that the box is pretty good the manual is crap as always why cant they make a proper manual, I actually got the Tech tree with it this time. I will tell you what I think when my computer is working properly.

------------------
    DoragonPhoenix of the Clan Doragon

I am no hero I just like to hit people in the head. :p
    DP is correct - Shiro

Arrrrgg!!! ive just played it online geez, what have they done!! its a bloody arcade game! units hardly ever rout even low honor units have turned into super units there less tactictrs i surrounded a yari sam unit with 5 units and attacked this was while its other units were routing closeby it was honor 2 and fought to 5 men b4 breaking jesus!!!!! this happened alot and my gen dying in games dident really seem to effect morale even with units of under 30 men in combat i hate what they have done with the morale fair enought adjust i alittle but not that much!!now i know they wont fix it for probably 5 months cause i know they dont give a damn about online community so i think we will see OLD SCHOOL players who still play alot on the old server, anyone else noticed this super morale which turns the game into an issue of super men units, geez it sucks BIG TIME! ive now played about 14 games online and they werent fun even tho i won 13 of them it felt like i hadent won thru tactical play just unit selection.

Swooosh

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

I'll try to respond to some of Skkzarg-san's complaints, since we're all here to discuss anyway... But first one of the pros: does the strat map pathfinding routine work? I mean really really work? Can it use ports? Can you trust it to get your units where they need to be in the optimum amount of time? Without accidentally invading an enemy or allied province?

Well, I'm not going to speak about the reinforcement "bug" until I've seen it in action. Presumably my verdict will be that while it is annoying and could have been done a lot better, but it's not a game-killer. But we'll see.

Then Kensai. Quote Max them out with +3 on armor/swords and morale - along with improved discipline - make 6 and charge![/QUOTE]Question. If you have the resources to do all this, do you think you still deserve to lose? Against an enemy army with less than 16 units? It's just as possible to make sixteen +3 armor/weapons/morale WMs with honor 3 + general and charge with them, but if you have the koku to do all this, YOU'VE WON THE GAME ANYWAY, so it doesn't matter at all! It could be that the Kensai with armor improvements could be a bit more vulnerable still to missile units, but up till this point I don't see a serious imbalance problem, when the strategic costs are taken into account.

I posted a lengthier analysis of the "kill a SwordSaint" feature in the strategic Kensai termination thread. Someone there said that Kensai die easily against Battlefield Ninja as well, so it may be one of your wishes has already been granted...

MP - indeed, it's the same as the original. As far as I know, going through the lobby isn't terribly bothersome, unless it happens to be down. Enabling direct peer-to-peer play would be easy, but unfortunately it is an option very few games offer nowadays.

Geisha - as you yourself pointed out, they're the same as the original. However, like in the Kensai case, the strategic cost must be taken into account - and I seem to remember it was purposefully increased for WE, making Geisha even more rare. Can anyone enlighten me as to if this has any real effect? Or is it just my poor memory?

And finally, like Phoenix-san said, hitting the spacebar to bypass all end-turn messages is nothing but impatience. IMHO STW does a very good job with tuning down the information flow that reaches the player, and almost all of the messages really are relevant to what's going on. I want to know if clans disappear or reappear, I want to know if I've miscalculated my resources and run out of koku, I want to know if it'll be time to end a siege soon. But then again, my campaigns always take weeks...

BTW, what are you talking about, Swoosh-san?

------------------
    "It is my sole wish to serve the Emperor as His shield. I will not spare my life or honor."
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, composed on December 6, 1941
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

ok 1 post per player
    -----------------------------

i noticed many things but teh one swoosh try to express was one i noticed myself.

if units stand firm much longer, even until 15-5 man, even heavenly surrounded the wont break , the tactical aspect is left out in this new version and the game turned into an arcade game.

in the games i played against the AI (no online available yet) i noticed a lucky unitselection is more important than outsmarting the enemy on the field. even the damn farmers wont break easily.

something major is changed in the battle-routine. it is like fighting shogunTW with morale effect off. it is some more rock scissors paper and much less Sun Tzu.

overweighting a flank of the enemy should result in an early brake to brake thru, but now the units fight and keep fighting even under heavy stress.

so a 65% for now, but i will do everything to get the good things patched, so plz keep posting in here.

Cham, keep observing in here. u cant be missed.
    Clan Wolves: 10 years in Total War
    visit us at wolves.magyarkhan.org
    and youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ClanWolves
    and watch a Creative Assembly employee struggle in battle....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast