Thread: The Death of a King

Unhappy

When the army of 2200 Germans descended upon the province, good King Louis felt happy. He was known to be a skilled defender, and the quality and character of his troops was such that he felt no worry, despite being outnumbered 2 to 1. He did wish for someone to share his mood with, but all his brothers and sons (of sufficient age) had regretfully passed away with their constant suicide attacks against the Welsh. Still, having destroyed the hated English, and being well on his way to taking over the equally hated Holy Roman Empire, he felt secure in his place in the history books.

Scouts had reported an excellent defensive location, a large hill with an excellent vantage point. He set up his men into a defensive half-circle, and waited. He didn't have to wait long before the German forces began to advance. Louis smiled to himself as he spotted an army made up of spearmen, archers and conscript peasants. No match for his well armoured feudal sergeants, and speedy Hobilars. The Germans had set up 3 ballistas in a valley, no real threat there. The enemy general, proving himself a novice at war, threw his soldiers up the hill in a futile charge. Crossbowmen softened up the ranks before the feudal sergeants charged in. The enemy fell back in confusion. Louis decided to unleash the Hobilars, sending them in to capture the fleeing soldiers. He noticed, however, that the ballistas were scoring hits on the Hobilars. He considered sending a unit of Hobilars to neutralize them, but the Hobilars were firmly engaged. Shrugging, he decided to personally lead his knights against the ballistas. The battle was well in hand, he felt he could spare the time. They charged towards the emplacements. The first ballista fell easily, as did the second. The crew of the third fled like cowards, and he laughed. His knights chased down the crew of the first and second ballistas, eliminating them. He spared a glance toward the main battle, and saw that the enemy had reinforments coming in. He sent the recall order to the Hobilars, ordering them to rejoin the main lines. He turned to rejoing them himself when he noticed the cowardly third ballista crew had returned. He valiantly charged his men towards it. Surprisingly, the crew stood their ground, letting off one final shot. King Louis, destroyer of the British, scourge of the Germans, fell from his horse, dead, at the age of 37. His men fought on bravely without him, routing the enemy. Their losses were 135. The enemy lost over 1000.

As the dust settled, word spread of the fall of the king. France was sent into a panic. The only living son of the king was too young to take the throne. The army revolted. France was no more.

---

I think the moral of this story being: Don't charge ballista crews with your King.

Bh

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

That was some story Bhruic, thanks for sharing it with us. A magnificent first post, I'm glad you decided to join us. I enjoy storytelling myself, but haven't had the time lately. Keep 'em coming.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Ahhh.....Tragic....I lament for King Louis

Le roi est mort, vive le roi

Nice story.
    A Member of Clan SG

"水无常形,兵无常势"

Lightbulb

what a funny cool story
    "Even when I am gone, I shall remain in people's minds the star of thar rights, My name will be the war cry of their efforts, The motto of their hopes" Napoleon bonabart

That's really unlucky
    But you've learned a valuable lesson

At least it seems the AI has a chance of the unleashing the 'King Killer' stone too.

Or bolt, in this case, but yes, it seems to work for them too. But I've not only learned to not charge ballista with my King, but also to keep an heir around, even if he's an unhinged loon, just in case my King has an accident.

On a side/unrelated note, I really can't believe how stupid the Danes are. Ok, sure they are probably in massive debt because of the number of princes they have... But Sweden is sitting there with 2 viking units in it. I'm sitting in the province below them with 5 feudal sergeants, 2 royal knights and 3 crossbowmen. So of course they decide to attack me. I know there are mods out there that fix the Danes, but giving them more territory, etc, but I think a simple AI fix would probably make them much more competitive. Something in the yes, it -does- make more sense to attack the neutral territory line.

Ok, off-topic ranting over.

Bh

It's always been the AI's problem.

It just can't resist attacking the player. I've had HRE down to the king and a few peasants invade the provence where I was stacking about 4000 troops. There were other nations provinces with far few troops in them that he could have charged into. But, oh no, he as to be brave / daft.

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

Now that is what i call bad luck
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Toda Nebuchadnezzar

Remeniscent of Maltz.

A few pics and hey you could have a site hosted by ORG with your war stories

But a damn good read. Loved it, shame about the ending.