Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crusaders RolePlay

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

It is the year 1095, and pope Urban II has set the call for crusade to free the holy land from the wretched infedels. As a warrior or farmer or peasant or merchant, you hear this call and take up the cross

this is a roleplay, each person will tell parts of thier story and as time goes on a larger story will emerge. Chose a character of your own free will, and help tell a tale of the first crusade.

Rules for posting

all post below are considered to be IC(In Charachter), if you are posting out of charachter, please start your post with OOC(out of character)

please make your charachters story up as you go, and most of all have fun

Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

Derek pulled the plow harder, and under the heat of the day finnished the last of the fields. Ready to be sown, he then took leave and returned to the Estate. When he arrived, his father was talking with some clerics in brown robes, the abbot was also among them. His father, Lord Marcel, looked to his son, with a puzzled look in his eyes. The conversation finnished soon after, and Marcel approached Derek.

"It seems son that the pope has called for us to take arms against the infidel. There is to be a meeting in the Abbey on the morrow."

Dereks head swam... a crusade that would mean war and plunder. Derek had longed for war, his father having fought with Duke William in England had told him of its many glories. Now his chance had come, and he would attened the mass tomorrow and satisfy his curiosity

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar

ooc; damn, i wanted to do this, but i didn't have the balls, try moving it to entrance hall to reach more people
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

IC;

A Merchant ship reached port along the coast in early morning, Jeremiah's father told him of the pope's words and the Crusade about to take place in an attempt to retake the holy lands.

"That Crusade will need Fighters. and you have trained well in swordsmanship and the art of war. I want you to go with them"

"Yes Father" Jeremiah replied, he had wanted to Fight for along time. Yet his father needed his help, It seemed to be a sign from the All Mighty to take up arms in his name. Even tho he was on a merchant ship, Jeremiah's Father allowed him to train in the arts of swords play and war.

"you will depart at sunrise...goodluck my son",

"I will not fail you father" he answered

When the Sun rose Jeremiah left the port city and started on his journy. He thought about many things, the Crusade, The Holy Lands and those who hold them. He Caught a ride on a wagon, and by late Midday he reached the Place of the Crusade's Gathering.
    "Well", Jeremiah thought, "There's no turning back now"

Senior Member Senior Member Ithaskar Fëarindel's Avatar

Moved to EH by request.
    Fëa-Quendi

*~Member of the Ronin Warlords and of UGLI~*
    *~IthaskarRW~*

Running round in circles IS better, B!

thanks for that... lets see a few more join... i know a lot of people have a writing streak here

He was in the first line marching towards the fort, the walls and towers were filled with Archers.
    The first swarm of arrows met the flesh, some of the men beside him fell down. It was a terrible sight. Wounded soldiers lying everywhere, screaming for their wives and moms.
    Then the battle turned to favour of the attackers, the boulders from the catapults tore down the walls and the commander shouted: For God and Honour, Charge....

Oh man, i always wake up when it starts getting exiting. Anyway, today is the day of the meeting, perhaps i should get ready and head down there...

As a true beliver and skillfull fighter, this opportunity and chance for glory could not be wasted. Johan was prepared to do his duty, in the name of God and Jesus Christ.
    A Raven in heart, forever

Senior Member Senior Member Jacque Schtrapp's Avatar

For God and Saint Mary These words still burned fiercely in the hearts of those privileged enough to be present when Urban II had addressed the assemblage in Rome nine months earlier. Henri, being a simple black smith?s apprentice from Toulouse, had not been one of the privileged. It was his Lord Guillaume?s personal priest, Father Michel, who had led the village in a stirring rendition of the Pope?s words. Many had sought permission from the Lord to join with the four military orders of the Church and march upon the Holy Land. Henri was one of the first granted leave and he wasted no time setting out for the gathering place in Genoa. Once assembled the host wound its way through the mountains, past Venice, and onwards in search of Truth and Glory.

Truth? Henri shook his head disgustedly. He knew all about truth now. Truth was to be found in the barred gates and angry glares from armored men on the parapets of every city they passed by; even the Jewel of the East, Constantinople, had spurned their Quartermaster?s attempt to purchase grain and supplies. Truth was hunger that blinded the crusaders, not that it mattered what path they chose. Truth was that all around them the Turks were raiding their baggage caravan and poisoning the water holes. Truth was that every day that went by several dozen died under a hail of arrows from a band of horsemen darting in and fleeing before anyone could react only to reappear an hour later. Truth was to be found in rotting meat and moldy grain that caused the sudden and vicious bouts of dysentery that killed hundreds without warning. Truth could also be found in the daily roll calls that grew shorter and shorter.

What about Glory? Glory abounded in every small village they destroyed in Lesser Armenia. Glory flowed with the blood of the old men, women, and children they had slaughtered. Glory sprang from the desert in the form of camel riding warriors who shrieked like demons and faded away like ghosts. Glory was marching hundreds of miles through unbearable soul parching heat during the day and shivering sleeplessly all night. Glory came from stinging sand storms that pervaded all of your equipment and clothing. Glory was what gathered them on the field outside Antioch this morning to die.

Henri had gripped his spear and buckler tightly while recalling the instructions his sergeant had given him. Hold the line until the signal to advance is given then march in support of whichever group of ladders reached the walls first. He had done as ordered and been in position to see the ghulam counter attack from behind a cluster of sand dunes. He had witnessed the fall of Duke von Brandenburg, the leader of the crusade, and the subsequent collapse of the entire left side of the army. He had withdrawn to the west with his company and he had walked into the waiting arms of the Saracens pouring from the now open gates. He fought in terror as his comrades fell around him and he screamed his anguish as the sword twisted in his gut and a snarling voice asked in broken French, where is your god now?

OOC; I'm going to start this as emperor alexius I, then move into my other character, if you don't want the Byzantines, disregard the Alexius part and remind me in a later post.

The Byzantine Emperor Alexius I sat on his purple garnered throne, he wondered of how to pay the crusaders back for their services. The emperor of Byzantium sat and wondered.
    How would he pay them? With Bezants? With land? With crops? With what? The emperor's eyes suddenly lit up, he knew what he would pay the catholic dogs back with: death... The emperor got up off his throne and walked away.

Antioch, 1099...

Eadwulf looked at the man next to him, wondering what he was up to. The man next to was troubled, obviously... Eadwulf turned back around and faced the Saracens. The Saracens were not the savages the Pope had made them out to be. In truth, they were noble and chivalrous and he had not seen any of them ever cook a baby upon their campfires before. He realized that THEY, the crusaders were the infidel, not the Saracens; what decent, religious man could kill entire villages of people and celebrate afterwards? But the Pope was the Pope and any heresy would be rewarded with a trip to the stake. Eadwulf mounted his steed,looked at the knights behind him and then listened for the order to attack. Eadwulf gripped his sword tighter and tighter, waiting for the order to attack. As the moments grew longer, Eadwulf began to grow impatient, the commander still had not given the order to attack yet.

ATTACK The order shot into Eadwulf like the sharpest arrowhead, and Eadwulf prodded his horse into a run as his unit of Knights templar charged right at the backs of a group of muslim archers.

The archers never knew what hit them. The impact of Eadwulf's charger sent one archer slamming into the back of another one, his horse trampling both of them, Eadwulf decapitated 2 other archers and stabbed a third one through the heart. His fellow knights were hacking and slashing just the same as what remained of the archers broke and ran, towards their main lines, causing panic among the main force of muslims.

We happen to be behind the main muslim force, charge into the backs of the infidel and create a gap for our fellow christians to go through said the commander.

Eadwulf and the rest of the knights in his unit charged into a group of urban militiamen, pinning them between the knights and the crusader forces attacking them in the front, Eadwulf lost track of what happened next, as he slashed and slashed over and over again, until he was surrounded with muslim corpses. Then, dizzy with exhaustion, he heard a loud, collective cheer before collapsing.
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

As Jeremiah marched on with the Crusade, he thought of things that troubled him. He and his Father had journied to Byzantine Lands and heard of the Muslims and their culture. from what jeremiah had heard they were a great people...not like what the pope had said. althought these were the words of the Byz. and jeremiah wondered if they were true, he also thought if it was right to Kill in the Name of Christ. He asked his Friend Jonah but was answered with this they do not deserve to live, i say we should send them to hell

when the first sign of Muslim Resistence showed near Lesser Armenia, Jeremiah soon earned a name for himself in His great skill as a fighter and bravery when facing a charge from the Muslim Calvary.On a great desert plain somwhere in the Middle East Jeremiah stood with his fellow Crusaders. across the Field was the Islamic Army, They let out shouts and screams that echoed acrosed the baron land. Jeremiah and his friends stood their ground as they Muslims began to advance

Wait untill Thou recieves the Order to attack When Thou reiceves it, advance and maintain Unit Formation. shouted the Commander of the Crusading Army. Jeremiah was in the second row of a Spear unit, as the muslim army advance it soon broke into a charge and was upon the Christian Crusaders. ATTACK the order rang within the Heads and finaly the Crusaders advance upon the Islamic army. The Great charge on both sides killed many. the man infront of Jeremiah was killed my a sword from a calvaryman. In a reaction Jeremiah Killed the Horseman and continued to battle.

The war raged on as both armies weakend, Jerimiah's Sergeant was killed in battle and He took controle of the Unit, he led them back into the thick of battle as they almost routed. Jeremiah stabing and slashing with his spear, killing both man and beast alike as he and his unit advanced an Islamic Swordman cornered Jeremiah and kncoked his spear away. In a rasped and dark Voice said in a strange tounge that Jeremiah never understood Surrender now and I shall spare thee. Jeremiah dew his sword givin to him by his father and slew this attacker. the battle continued and Jeremiah began slashing Men one after the other. a Unit of Knights templar charged from the left flank and destroyed the Muslim's main force. Soon after they routed.

Jeremiah stood for a second daised from battle. around him was the corpes of friend and foe alike.His Mail armor and sword covered in the blood of Muslims, His best Friend Jonah was killed in battle. Jeremiah found him face down shot in the back with an arrow. Most likely when he tried to run. Now who deserves to live? Atleast the Muslims do not Run as they fight Jeremiah said to himself

For some reason Jerimiah did not want to fight anymore... his taste for combat was satisfied, he left the crusade for one reason. He did not aprove of the Crusaders looting of the Towns and slaughtering of Townsfolk who where not even armed. he wandered the Deserts of the Middle East, tearing off his chain mail. Keeping only his sword given to him by his father and his torn Uniform from the Crusading army.

After 2 days of wandering the Wastlands he was found by a Turkish Scouting party, He told them the story of how he had left the Crusade and his reasons. Jeremiah was taken to the Sultan of the Turkish.

I do not ask for mercy, Jeremiah said, For i have Killed many of your Countrymen, Only Forgive my Fellow Crusaders for they are blinded by Zealous thoughts. If thou shall Kill me please make it quick. the Turkish Sultan was surprised of Jeremiah's Knowledge of Arabic Launguage and how he did not ask for mercy. only that his friends would be spared.

I shall not Kill thee young one answered the Sultan For your Skills in war a great, only leave our lands and do not return. You will be given cloths and a fresh camel, and enough food and water to last you untill you reach Byzantine Lands. Do not ask me why i spare you, maybe you are different from the others. Now go and never return, for if you come back ye shall recive no mercy from us.

Jeremiah left the Sultan's Palace and with Clothes and a fresh Camel departed for Constaninople. He thought of His father and his Older Brother, and of his dead friend Jonah. He knew he could not go back to the Crusaders, and so he would go to the Byzantines and enlist in their Millitary. For surely they had need of troops. Forgive me Oh Lord, I have killed in Thy name, Please Find the Kindess to Forgive me. Jeremiah began to pray I used your name as an excuse to Kill, and i killed many. Forgive my fellow Countrymen for they Only Fight for a cause they belive in. Amen my Lord...Amen Jeremiah continued on his Journey to Constaninople, passing a number of Islamic Forces he shouted to them in perfect Arabic Where do You Journy to My Countrymen? The Comander of the Force answered Jeremiah 'we are going to Jerusalem Where Crusaders are about to attack the City The force passed Jeremiah and he thought to himself 'Protect them oh Lord, Watch over them please' He then continued on hoping to reach Byzantine Lands soon.

Byzantine Emperor pulled up his purple silk bedsheets tightly around him, tossing and turning, yet he was awake. The holy warriors, known as the crusaders were a pack of greedy dogs, intrested only in money, women and land. To them, Alexius would be God, pronouncing judgement upon the Latin heretics. But how to deal with them? And what about the Muslim infidel? The Turkish needed to be dealt with as well. Then an idea struck Alexius like a war hammer, and the Basil bolted out of bed naked and ran down the long hallway as fast as his legs could take him, and his legs took him right into the path of his daughter Anna, of which he knocked over.

Anna, please, I need to borrow a sheet of parchment. He noticed dozens of sheets of parchment on the ground, most of them apparently covered in Anna's little notes to herself or some like that.

Anna got up off the ground and collected herself. The first words out of her mouth were, Father, what in Christ's name are you running around as naked as a Turkish Prisoner for?

The fate of the Empire depends what I am about to do, please, hand me a sheet of vellum, it will go to good use, i swear it.

But my writings, you can't... Anna pleaded with her father, he could not destroy the current records of his reign.

Then, I shall not... And with those words, Alexius tore off a piece of Anna's nightgown and continued running until he burst into the carrier pigeon's roost, the night keeper glanced at the emperor, then annouced shrilly You got mail

What kind of mail? asked Alexius.

The night keeper tossed him a raveled sheet of parchment, Alexius unrolled and read it, Enlarge your manhood in 14 days. Furious, Alexius was to shred the parchment with his hands, but he suddenly recognized his providence, the back of the parchment had not been written upon and was much easier to write on then a piece of cloth.

Give me a quill and ink Alexius demanded, the keeper threw a bottle of ink and sadly informed him that there were no quills in the roost. Alexius opened the ink bottle and began to write with his finger, a message to the Egyptian sultan.

If the Latin Dogs should lay siege on Jerusalem, then it suggested that you reinforce the Turkish troops guarding the city, or you may lay siege to it yourself and decapitate the Turkish Sultan like a mangy cur, i have no true intention of seeing the holy freed, just that i needed those Latin dogs trapped in such a position so that they'll all be eliminated, and Western Europe will have no warriors to guard it.

Sincerely, Emperor Alexius I

P.S: Do what i say, and a nice little prize of 1,250,000 florins is yours.

Alexius threw the note to the keeper, and then left the pigeon roost, the message will reach the Egyptian Sultan soon enough....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~
    Eadwulf woke up in his tent, one of his comrades, a Frenchman was slowly trying to get him to drink some water out of a roughly made goatskin bag stolen off a dead Saracen. During his months in the Holy Land, Eadwulf had gotten used to goat flavored water, because often, it was goat flavored water, or no water at all and Eadwulf definitely preferred the former. Eadwulf slowly sipped the water and then found the strength to sit up.

What happened? asked Eadwulf.

Why Sir, thou hast collapsed of the heatstroke replied the Frenchman.

Heatstroke, what happened out there, we won didn't we?

Yes, the Infidel hast been driven back, the Knights Templar performed well on the field today, you seem recovered enough, i'll leave you to your own devices.

With that, Eadwulf stood up, the crusaders were ready to march again, on to Jerusalem...

Any have suggestions for study on this?

OOC: just a note everyone, people seem to be jumping well ahead here.. the diea is to relate a whole story, from leaving france to reaching mighty Jeruselam.. i guess i didnt make it clear enough, nevermind, we will pick up where the crusaders meet and begin thier march to the holy land across europe. Tell your sory bit by bit, and interact with other charachters as we go along.

IC: Derek had marched with his fathers warband for several days now, hoping to join Duke Robert in South Normandy. News had spread fast across the land of a march of peasants, who had left but 3 weeks ago, and marched on led by a hermit. They believed they would deliever the holy land by might of faith alone... Derek inwardly mocked thier foolishness.

It was later on the 5th day that the warband came across Roberts camp, they were further south and east than expected, and even now were on thier way to meet the other nobles and thier armies. Derek remembered the message the abbot had told them, and then remembered the taking up of the cross. Each man was given a white cloth cross to be sewn on thier mantles, and then each was given a silver coin for the pilgramige, so as to enter the gates of the holy city.

They marched with Robert for several more days, when at last, somewhere in France Derek had never been, they reached the mighty camp of the lords of the west. Raymond of Toulous was there, and many others. The warhost camped on a mighty plain, a dark writhing mass of warriors and thier train of wives and children. Derek had never seen such a host, and soon was wandering through the camps, amazed at the wealth of men before him. Later in his wanderings, he saw the sky grew dim, and returned to camp where he rested the night. They were to spend a week longer before marching off across europe.

ooc: hmmm... ok, how do i fit this in? Eadwulf will be modified to your specs... But Alexius will stay the same.

Eadwulf lazily bobbed along on his horse,his sword and helmet in his saddle bags, he had been marching for weeks with Henry de Vere, Duke of Mercia, and they were due to meet with Duke Raymond any day now, but there was still no sign of them. Eadwulf sighed, the route was boring, and Eadwulf craved the blood of the infidel, he propped up his saddle bags again and drifted to sleep while still on his horse.

RAF Peon... In Space! Member Grothgar's Avatar

OOC: I assume that as the narrator Alrowan will be pacing the story, and we all fit round that, which is fine with me Also please try to suspend disbelief when you read about my character lol.

A short sharp grunt sounded out in the early morning as one of the guards at the edge of the crusader camp fell over with a dagger in his back. A black shadow grasped the body and eased it down into the soft wet grass, an almost unoticable spectre in the gloom of the false dawn.

The mist was heavy in the air in the south of france at this time of year and the black cloaked assasin used this to his advantage to slip unseen into the crusaders camp. While he had killed, he took no pleasure in slaughter, to him it was all business, just a contract to fufil, no personal feelings involved.

He had wanted to catch his quarry before they left france, and it looked like he would only just be in time, having been delayed on the ship from venice, pirates having tried to raid his vessel during the journey, another reason to keep your feet on solid ground he thought, chuckling silently to himself.

Having slipped past the outlying sentrys, the black clad assasin made his way silently, but confidently, through the still awakening camp, seemingly blending in with his surroundings, the black clad figure gone, and in his place appearing an english archer, a bow strapped across his back, his quiver full of arrows.

He knew that he would not find his quarry this morning, maybe if he could have had the night as well he could have disposed of his target and been gone, but he needed to get knowledge of his target and his practices. His employer had insisted on it and he had been reliably informed that his target was part of the english routine.

He was a fair archer, which explained his disguise, but also because this unit was very conveniant, it is easy for an arrow to hit a friend by accident. He would blend in, bide his time and then strike, his quarry knew he was a wanted man, it would not be easy but the assasin was confident of sucess, after all he had never failed before.

His name, no-one knows his real name; his age, indeterminate; his profession, assasin; and his target, Duke Robert.

He looked around, and even one as emotionaless as him, shook his head in bemusement at the hive of activity around him as he settled down for a few hours rest, no-one noticed that the next morning there was one more person in the unit, they just thought they had overcounted. He just grinned and pulled his cowl up further over his head...
    You cant make a good omelete without breaking eggs but its amazing how many eggs you can break without making a good omelete

Some nice stories going in here. Bah, wish I can do one, I have the imagination of a.... fish?

Senior Member Senior Member Longshanks's Avatar

Crusade.

What a fortunate turn of events for Hugh de Montford. Hugh, a Norman, was the youngest son of one of the lesser nobility in England. As such, he was landless and supported himself by performing the duties of a retainer to a more priveleged uncle in Normandy. He was not prosperous, but now it seemed that providence had tossed an oppurtunity at his feet. One that could not be missed.

Hugh was not present at Clermont, but he need not be. The Pope's speech was being repeated by every monk, priest and Bishop in Western Europe. All of France was afire with the talk of Crusade He had listened while a blind monk sermonized to a large crowd, urging them to take up the cross, rich and poor alike, and punish the heathens. He was not particularly devout, but the sermon had sparked a fire in his heart. Hugh was eager to get to the Holy Land, to take up the cross against the infidel. But here was not only an oppurtunity for the remission of sins, but a chance for plunder, perhaps even a possibility to carve out his own fief. How could he refuse? After all, Deus lo volt (God wills it )

And so Hugh found himself on the road to Lorraine with two landless Flemish knights he had befriended in Normandy. They had talked him into joining up with Godfrey of Bouillon rather than Robert of Normandy, who was not well liked. As they drew near to Godfrey's encampment, the road became choked with all manner of people coming and going. Peasants, merchants, knights, clergymen, whores, and thieves all made their way to the encampment...some looking to join the crusade, others looking to make a profit.

Samuel was sitting by a campfire on the in obvious pain, the campfire was surrounded by men of various backgrounds although all distinctively low class. The one unifying feature was the white crosses that they all wore. Several of the other men were also grimacing and rubbing their feet.

Oh my aching feet cried Samuel To Jeruaselem he says Twill be a miracle I tell you

He looked a portly young man, but Samuel was used to hard labour having worked since a boy in a slaughterhouse, what he wasn't used to was marching while carrying his fathers outdated armour, sword and shield, not to mention the choice cuts of meat his boss had packed for him (he had mused that they would have to be shared soon as he could not keep carrying them and besides they'd be going off soon).

He ended up sharing most of the meat with the men at the campfire, but thought twice about giving it all away, 'afterall' he thought 'that wench keeps looking my way'

Hey there soldier, nice uniform....

He could not belive his eyes. He were walking around the camp with is new found friend, not a farmer or merchant and not a Noble, just a warrior like himself.

-Look at theese men. Peasants and farmers as far as the eye can see, wering their rusty swords and third generation armor. This can't turn out well.

-Perhaps, but at least we will do our duty, hopefully our skill and honor will shine upon them with the help of God.

They aproached the Lieutenant's tent....
    A Raven in heart, forever

OOC: Much better people, yes i am basically setting the pace, hopefully one or two charachters will meet up on the way..

IC: When the horns began to blare at Compline, Derek awoke with a start. The Previous night they had packed most of thier camp, to make ready in the morning at first light. He go up off his roll, and went to a tree to relieve himself. He didnt notice the monk who had come to his camp when he returned, and when the monk insisted on shriving him before he left for the crusade, Derek refused, telling him how all his sins were to be forgotten as he had taken up the cross.

He then set about packing his sword, and joined the line of men leaving the camp. They were to march through Germany, and then onto the unknown lands of the east, there they would join Behomund, and cross into asia.

William, because that was the assasins real name, marched along in formation with the rest of the archers, fatigue threatening to close his eyes. No stranger to weariness, after all he had been forced to wait in one place for some time before his target became visible long ago, but this pace was quite murderous.

It was no surprise to William that the desertion rate of this crusade was quite high, but it also puzzled him why people kept joining up and although it puzzled him, he did not mind because his unit had been losing and gaining new recruits throughout the few days they had been marching, William himself was now thought of one of the old guard because he had stayed around, all of which would make his job a lot easier.

Unfortunately, being part of the old guard had meant that he was relied upon to keep the unit and its new blood in order, whichhad severely curtailed his search for Duke Robert so when an order came in for scouts to be selected to scout forward of the main crusade he was eager to accept.

So here he was, scouting out the land and then reporting back with his findings, all were non-essential but this was practice for when they entered foreign lands. William didnt care about this, he hoped to have his work done by the time they entered germany, never mind the holy land. So, with silent footwork he scouted out the lands and returned to report, always hoping that he would hear word of his target, Duke Robert.

One night when returning from a practice patrol his exceptional hearing heard, or thought it heard, a mention of a certain Duke Robert and they were talking aobut being part of his retinue. A calculating look came upong Williams face as he placed his bow on his back, hid his dagger in its sheath and then marched confidently into the firelight.

Looks of suspicion were passed his way but his confident demenour seemed to put some of them at ease, some but not all.

Who are you? came a voice from the edge of the firelight, tinged with suspicion and also a faint whiff of curiosity.

William of Wessex, scout extroidinaire, back from another practice patrol and wishing to spend my time with some actual people, because although the plains and the animals are fine companions im sure you fellows would be better company.

William then looked round slowly and with a deliberate look in his eyes spread his arms, Or maybe, looking round, i would be better off with the animals. William chuckled after this sentance. There was a stillness however with most of the people round the fire trying to figure out if it was an insult or not.

Then the same man that had asked who he was stood up and laughed, walked up to William and offered his hand. William shook it and found it was a firm grip as William scanned the man in a few seconds but keeping his expression blank.

Im Derek, these are my men and welcome stranger, im sure we would be interested to hear your tales of rousing adventure with lasses of loose morals and your amazing tales of victory against the odds, after all a humble scout like yourself must have had thousands of them. Derek said this with a grin that was infectious, and for once in his life William felt at ease as he sat down, laughter rising up around him.

After being introduced to the rest of the men William, a gifted storyteller in many ways, started to tell them rousing adventures until most of the men were asleep and only he and Derek awake, he leaned in and spoke just above a whisper.

When i came across this camp i heard the name of certain someone i would much like to meet, because i have heard stories of this man, ive probably told some myself, and i would very much like to see this man. His name you ask? well that would be Duke Robert...

William relaxed back and waited for the reply
    You cant make a good omelete without breaking eggs but its amazing how many eggs you can break without making a good omelete

The Egyptian Sultan was quietly dozing in his throne room, when his Qadi-al-Quda poked him with his finger, HARD. The Sultan woke with a start.

Huh, whu iz it? The sultan said sleepily....

Sultan, it is a letter, from the Byzantine Emperor, The Qadi-Al-Quda handed him the folded sheet of parchment.

Enlarge, your, man, hood, in, 14, days... the Sultan's Greek was poor, and he could barely read the message, though, he seriously considered taking Alexius up on the offer.

No you crack-brained imbecile read the OTHER side the Qadi-Al-Quda tore the parchment out of the Sultan's hands and flipped it to the other side, then handed it back to the sultan. The sultan read.

If the Latin Dogs should lay siege on Jerusalem, then it suggested that you reinforce the Turkish troops guarding the city, or you may lay siege to it yourself and decapitate the Turkish Sultan like a mangy cur, i have no true intention of seeing the holy land freed, just that i needed those Latin dogs trapped in such a position so that they'll all be eliminated, and Western Europe will have no warriors to guard it.

Sincerely, Emperor Alexius I

P.S: Do what i say, and a nice little prize of 1,250,000 florins is yours.

The sultan also seriously considered Emperor Alexius' second offer, though the 1,250,000 didn't seem as appealing as enlarging his manhood.

Get out a paper and pen the Sultan commanded his assistant.

The Qadi-Al-Quda whipped out a reed pen and began penning a response for the Sultan as he drifted off back to sleep, it read.

Gladly.

P.S: Are you serious about the enlargement of manhood?

Derek narrowed his eyes with suspicion almost in an instant... since this man came and joined his camp he had been wary, even since the first handshake. This willian character could not keep his mind out of others buisness, but nevertheless, he would play his game for a while yet.

Derek let the narrow look pass in an instant, not allowing enough time to recognise the look in the fire-lit night. Derek then simply replied, This Duke Robert you speak of, I believe I owe him fealty, as he is duke of my father, and therefore, our lands are under his protection. What is it that you wish of my lord, and why must you see him? Dereks voice softened a little, and a smile played across his lips, Anyway, fortunate you would be to greet him, as I am still to set eyes upon my lord. He let the words sink in, and watched the strangers reaction. Nevertheless, I hear he can be a most generous lord, only pray that he gives a low scout like you any audience with him. Derek rose, Well my friend, I must be off, we have a long march tomorrow, and i hear we will be crossing the Rhine into Germany, so keep your wits with you, these Germans are barbarous. he finnished with a wink, and left for his nook in a tree.

Eadwulf was in the woods alone and by himself, practicing his swordsmanship, which was legendary to begin with. Eadwulf was practcing against an invisible opponent, what he thought an infidel warrior might look like, a terrible horned beast with sharp fangs and spiked armor, wielding twin maces. His imaginary opponent was fighting like a madman, lashing out randomly and with incredible fury. Eadwulf bested his imagination in one powerful thrust. Wiping off his sweaty brow, he walked back to camp.

William watched Derek go, until his eyes could no longer see him in the black of night. He thought back onto the conversation, going over every detail in his mind, playing it over and over trying to sort through the, ultimately dissapointing, information he had learnt.

When he had mentions Duke Roberts name Derek face had narrowed, or had it, the flickering firelight had obscured most of the facial movements of both men, or so he assumed. He hoped it had because upon hearing that his target had not been seen, and by the son of one who owed the Duke fealty, he had flinched slightly.

William had hoped to be done with his task before they entered Germany but as he had learned, they were entering Germany tommorow, and the Germans had never been one to shy away from confronting papal authority, his position of scout could become a lot more perilous. Despite his natural caution a bit of excitement seeped into Williams belly, he couldnt recognize it of course but he felt it all the same.

Besides he had already made up in his mind to stay closer to this Derek fellow, obviously a semi important man, son of a feudal baron after all, he would know what other men didnt. He would ask to be transferred to Dereks command, this would allow William to keep a closer eye on Derek and, though he wouldnt admit it, he liked Derek, he had the same steely composure and suspicious nature which William prided himself on. This was going to get very interesting...

Senior Member Senior Member Longshanks's Avatar

OOC: Just wondering what are the rules here for historical accuracy. Obviously there will be some deviation, but it seems like this is turning into an alternate history roleplay.

Histocial note: Palestine and Jerusalem was Egyptian(Fatimid) territory rather than Turkish, although the Christians fought through the Turks in Asia Minor as well to get there. The 1st Crusade was also launched at the instigation of Alexius I. Alexius I had written a letter to the pope in 1095 asking for help against the Seljuk Turks, who had taken all of Asia Minor from him. Rather than having plans of conquest in the West, Alexius needed aid in the East against the Turk.

When the Crusaders arrived, Alexius forced them to swear fealty to him, in order for him to give them supplies and ship transport to Asia minor. By making them take this oath, Alexius wanted them to turn over any territory they captured back to the Byzantines. Of course the leaders of the Crusade had no intentions of doing this, and ended up carving out four independant western Crusader Kingdoms in the middle East for themselves.(collectively called Outremer)

The 1st Crusade(the one we are roleplaying) also ended in success for the Crusaders. They first captured Nicaea, along with the Byzantines who kept the city. The Crusaders then captured Jerusalem which was their main goal, as well as Antioch, Edessa and Tripoli.(which became the 4 Crusader nations)

If anyone wants background info on the 1st Crusade, here's a good site:

http://crusades.boisestate.edu/1st/index.html

Jeremiah Tredged over the Wastelands, not knowing where he was. He eventually came to a small Berber Village in the midst of the deserts. he had been redirected somehow and had been marching the wrong way. If he wanted to Get to Byzantine lands he would have to trek back west. He decided that it may be to far to reach. as he had Left the Crusade before it even got close to Antioch, he thought of them often.

He wondered how they were fairing in their battles. Stoping for the Night he made camp. it was about midnight when 3 travlers came upon his camp, Excuss me, Whats thou doin alone in the desert in these troubled times said one of the Travelers.

I am a Crusader, started Jeremiah, as he said this the 3 shifted and drew their swords. Yet i left them for i do not aproove of their actions in theft and murder. As Jeremiah stared into the Night sky the 3 eased themselve and sheved their swords.

That is good. one answered For the Things the Crusaders do is not the action of Holy Men, had you not said you left we might have killed you where you sit

I dont blame you, said Jeremiah As they deserve death for their crimes. Where do thy go?

We journy to Antioch for The crusade draws near one said. Every soldier is needed. Another stated.

where do you go my friend? they asked Jeremiah. he answered I journey to Byzantine Lands, where i hope to take a ship to france and see my family again. Although i dont believe that is where i must go. the 3 travelers were confused by Jeremiah's Statment.My Lord has shown me my destiney and i cannot run from it. one way or another my path leads me to Antioch.

why do you say that? the confused Travelers asked.

Jeremiah answered them I left the Crusade and i was captured by Turkish. i tried to goto Byzantine lands, but i was turned around and ended up near Antioch. For you see it apears my path leads me there.

Will you rejoin the Crusade? They asked him

No, I will Fight with you Jeremiah said firmly.

What? But why? why whould you fight with us? We are your enemy The Cusaders are my enemy for their holy actions of murder and theivery. I shall fight with you. For you are the Enemy of My enemy, Therefore you are my friend.

Very well the leader of the 3 said, we depart in the morning, we will reach Antioch in 2 days journey from here.

Then so be it. Jeremiah said.

The 4 capmed that night and in the Morning they would ride to Antioch to help the Defenders there. SHould Antioch fall befor ethey arrive, the 4 agreed to goto Jerusalem and defend the City.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

OOC: My Character has left the Crusade for he hates the way Killing/theiving is done in the Lord's name. he now fights along side the Muslim Forces. This prob wouldnt have happened in real life but this is just Roleplay.

Samuel was now marching with about 20 men and though his feet still troubled him he had resolved to go onward. He was now free of his extra burden of meat and was thinking about how lucky he was to have kept some having seen what some of the other men were eating.

If I hadn't kept some I'd have to eat that muck they serve up he thought spot of luck I had a bit of money for the whore

It was now the end of a long day of marching, and Samuel could see the camp had increased in size tenfold, no, more
    this is it, the main camp he thought, elated I wonder if the pace will be a bit slower.

It was Samuels turn to look after the gear while the others gathered faggots of wood for the fire. He was glad of it for it gave him the first chance of the day to tend to his feet, after awhile he started to pay more careful attention of his surroundings. He had heard from his father what it would be like, but it seemed now that his father had left out quite alot, like all the whores for starters.

Some of the men dropped some faggots and returned to the wood to gets some more, Samuel started making the fire and thought about how he would cook his last fine cut of meat....

OOC: i dont mind if it becomes an alternate history of sorts.. just keep it believable

Upon the Altar of Gods, awaiting a worthy warrior...

Lord Hermann der Riegel sat on his throne within a castle somewhere in Württemberg. He set down his goblet and strode towords an open window, far to the left of the ancient, gem-encrusted chair. As he passed the line of pillars which ran down each side of the throne, he grabbed at the side of one slightly and let his armored hand slide across it's surface. The sun shone brightly, casting an erie shadow which streched across the throne room floor, past the pillars, past the embroidered, red rug and halting slightly before the second row of pillars. Gazing out over his land, the scene put him at ease. His castle held a commanding view over the surrounding country side and forest below. The only thing of notice was a small hamlet which was constructed on the foundations of one which was razed during the wars of his father. Today wasent much different from any other except for the lone horseman who rode down the path which lead to the castle.
    He came baring a decree from the emperor who was politely requesting that Lord Riegel present himself, aswell as an army consisting of two hundred men, at Bavaria. There they would meet up with another force of soldiers and have their orders presented.

That was almost a year ago...

Now Lord Hermann stood within sight of Antioch with an army of slightly more than ten thousand men. Here he would determen wether he ever was worthy of his father's name...

(ooc: PLEASE no one continue or do anything about antioch untill i continue the story. This would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance&#33
    Repent For tomorrow you die -Battlecry of the Dark Angels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast