Thread: Crash to Desktop after a battle...

Unhappy

After a battle against the Almohads using the Spanish, from Tunisia to Cyrenacia (to be specific), and some messages after the battle, the game crash to desktop. Try reinstalling the game and the patch a few times still does not help.

The following is a section of the now 14.9kb error log:

Errors for session started: Sun Nov 24 03:21:49 2002

C:\Med_Patch\Crusaders_TW\bmradar.cpp(287) : File Error : fopen(.\RadarMap\DesertFlatToHills01.map, wb) - No such file or directory(2)
    Errors for session started: Sun Nov 24 03:30:34 2002

C:\Med_Patch\Crusaders_TW\bmradar.cpp(287) : File Error : fopen(.\RadarMap\DesertFlatToHills02.map, wb) - No such file or directory(2)
    Errors for session started: Sun Nov 24 17:31:55 2002

C:\Med_Patch\Crusaders_TW\bmradar.cpp(287) : File Error : fopen(.\RadarMap\DesertFlatToHills02.map, wb) - No such file or directory(2)

Can anybody help with this as I have been stuck with the same battle for about 3 months now. Kind of losing interest already. Tried posting to the totalwar.com forum and nobody ever replied.

My system spec:
    Pentium 4 1.8GHz
    512 DDR RAM
    Audigy Soundblaster
    ELSA Gladiac 920 64MB
    Win XP Pro

Hi there

Do a search on the forum, I recall someone actually found a solution to those kind of crashes... I think the error.log isn't relevant in this case.

Also, if you won't find anything here, one of the moderators will surely copy your post in the Apothecary (tech forum), where the gurus will help you out.
    Ignoranti, quem portum petat, nullus suus ventus est. -Seneca, Epistulae Morales, VIII, 71, 3

do you have the latest drivers for video card

what helped me very much was the beta version of directX 9.0
    There I see my father.
    There I see my mother, my sisters and brothers.
    There I see my line of ancestors back to the beginning.
    They call on me and ask me to take my place with them in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.

TheViking a.k.a AggonyViking a.k.a FearTheViking a.k.a WildboarViking

Welcome aboard tegs. Sorry for the late response, I've had limited access to my PC today.

I'm sure there are several suggestions for your situation. Am I correct in that your graphics card is a nVidia GeForce variant? Search this forum and the Apothecary forum for GeForce. You should find several threads dealing with these types of crashes. As I recall, drivers are a major factor, as is DirectX. The sound card may also be an issue if your battles are kind of laggy. If none of the suggestions seems to work, post back with the results and we'll post your problem in the Apothecary. But search first because I'm sure you'll find the solution to your problem.
    This space intentionally left blank

The graphic card is NVidia GeForce 3.
    The solution on waiting for a few seconds doesn't work for my case, just tried today.

tegs, here is a thread or two to check:

GeForce Drivers

More GeForce Woes

GeForce Slowdowns

Happy reading.

I just had a thought re-reading your problem. Am I reading it correctly that the crash is not happening during a battle, but afterwards when all the message windows pop up? If that is the case, then read this thread and give it a try: Crash to Desktop

Good luck.
    This space intentionally left blank

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

one of the hardest things your computer does is switch modes and resolutions and color bits, especially after you've been under a heavy load, like an MTW battle. the cpu has to talk to directX, your graphics card, ram and windows and they all have to communicate pretty well to each other. ram is already loaded and your cpu is still under a heavy load, which is why the solution of waiting a few seconds, mentioned above, sometimes works. it simply gives the computer time to catch up with everything.

the more normal cause is that there is some little communication failure in a driver somewhere. the drivers are the things that allow all this hardware to talk to each other, and one little switch somewhere can make it seem like an englishman talking to a chinese...in russian. this gets more pronounced when things are already under load, like right after a battle in mtw.

my first suggestion would be to play around with different drivers, particularly vid card drivers and then sound card drivers. if you have a motherboard that uses the Via 4in1 drivers, then update those too, because one of these is the agp driver, and there is more than one version and some had bugs.

erado (our resident tech guru) would prolly also tell you to check your agp aperture in bios. depending on your system, this seems to be most commonly set at 32, 64, or 128. this deals with handling textures with an agp graphics card.

also, there is a follow up thread to that one that Gregoshi earmarked for you, the last one, Crash to Desktop. in the follow up the person did figure out and fix what was going on, so you might wanna find that one too.

and last, turn off background tasks, particularly active ones, or polling ones, like anti-virus, ms works, ms office. these, for your situation dont seem to be interrupting the game mid-stream, but they are taking up ram and cpu time, which on your setup seems to be a bit critical, for whatever reason.

also, dont recognize this: ELSA Gladiac 920 64MB
    what is that, your vid card? is this a laptop? if that is your vid card, then it's certainly not one that is specified as being supported for the game. that doesnt mean it wont work, but that may be the problem, in which case this is almost certainly a vid card driver problem and you'll need to contact your manufacturer or their web site and update the drivers (or go retro).

K.

By the way, I have the Asia-Pacific version. Bought it in Australia.

Is it to be coincidence that the AP version which I have and the one who posted Crash to Desktop is the cause. Things like maybe incompatibility with the US_EURO release patch.

I'll still try checking with the drivers though.