Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mongol Heavy Cavalry bug?

I think there is a problem with the effectiveness of the Mongol Heavy Cavalry. I just engaged 3 ai controlled Japanese HC with 1 Mongol HC on green (normal difficulty) and defeated them taking 180 heads and losing 38. This is way too effective for a unit with a 4/4 att/def rating. The Japanese HC are 2/6. The MHC and JHC units should be about equal. The Mongol HC fight more like they are getting their +6 charge bonus continually applied. They fight like a 10/4 unit.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

yep i agree i am taking almost 200+ heads with every unit of MHC i bring into battle

------------------
    Clan Shades
    come by and give us a visit
    ShadeLord Shiba a member of clan shades
    Clan Shades
    come by and give us a visit
    ShadeLord Shiba a member of clan shades

hmmm u know how hard it was to convince the developers of downgrading monks/muskets, it never happend. u think teh hcav will be downgraded? eventually we will limit it in games (
    Clan Wolves: 10 years in Total War
    visit us at wolves.magyarkhan.org
    and youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ClanWolves
    and watch a Creative Assembly employee struggle in battle....

Quote Originally posted by Puzz3D:
    I think there is a problem with the effectiveness of the Mongol Heavy Cavalry. I just engaged 3 ai controlled Japanese HC with 1 Mongol HC on green (normal difficulty) and defeated them taking 180 heads and losing 38. This is way too effective for a unit with a 4/4 att/def rating. The Japanese HC are 2/6. The MHC and JHC units should be about equal. The Mongol HC fight more like they are getting their +6 charge bonus continually applied. They fight like a 10/4 unit.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~
    [/QUOTE]

Puzz, I think you might have it. The MHC (and MLC) are so freaking aggressive they may be on charge mode almost all the time in the middle of a fight. I'm used to having to maintain pursuit with Japanese units, but I put the Mongols close and they take off after everything. The downside is that if I have them charging by a fight to get at a rear area unit, they will tend to stop to play....

Well, if you look at it from the perspective of preserving historical accuracy, the Mongol heavy cavalry WAS one of the most devastating military units of its class.

I know that this may cause problems with online play, but there are other units that are effective... it seems to me that engaging the infamous Mongol heavy cavalry head on might not be a good idea if all you have is JHC. You might want to try a greater mix of units, such as Cavalry archers for a hit and run, or yari cavalry for flanking. Battlefield ninja are really awesome (although i still don't know whether or not you can use them against the Mongols). Counter power with speed and range, and so forth...

Anyway, i don't propose to tell you people what you should and shouldn't do, or what would work and what wouldn't. But i think it's still a *tad* too early to be whining about balance. I don't think that the units have really been evaluated extensively with respect to all their changes in effectiveness. That and, like i said, the MHC is *supposed* to be the best HC unit on the field.

------------------
    "You have offended my family, and you have offended a Shaolin temple."

hmm it wasnt the mongol hcav what was devastating compared to other hcav

i even dont think 100 knights would lose bigtime against 100 hcav mongols

it was the tactics, the horsed archers and discipline that gave the edge. not the mongol hcav. the hcav was mainly used to clean things up...
    Clan Wolves: 10 years in Total War
    visit us at wolves.magyarkhan.org
    and youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ClanWolves
    and watch a Creative Assembly employee struggle in battle....

When you say "clean up", how does that lessen the effectiveness of the troops?

Almost every elite force in history is held back to the last minute, thereby maintaining the veteran status of the troops. Napoleon's Old Guard and Ceasar's 10th Legion are two such units that come to mind.

The problem that will come up in MI is in the online battles. Playing the campaign, it looks like you get just a few of the MHC, so you tend to preserve them for final shock action and pursuit. After all, 3xH2 YS will beat a H2 MHC hands down in a fight. They can be destroyed.

The MLC are more frightening to me. The only thing that saved 5xH2 YS in three fights against 2xH2 MLC was the rout bug. Invariably, by the AI sends all but one YS after one MLC. The second MLC skirmishes until out of arrows and handily kills the remnants of its YS. About the time the MLC with the horde after it runs out of arrows, it routs off the field without being able to be rallied, despite having no casualties. Otherwise, you simply split the MLC, have the YS fixate on the one that charges them and hit the same unit in the rear with the second MLC. The YS will rout and then you slaughter them in the pursuit.

perhaps trapping the mongol unit wth yaricav and stporming it with spears will help
    quote:I gallop messages around, dont track me I can bring war as well

Senior Member Senior Member Erado San's Avatar

I Agree Magy,

Let's first try some tactics for a while and then come up with some good arguments to present a case to CA/EA.

I think this could well be the subject of Question Time IV in 2-4 weeks.
    A voice from the past is heard in the lands...

aaaaaaaaaarghhhhhh another question time? we should change the way we do that, for me the former ones and their outcome were unsatisfying...

Senior Member Senior Member Erado San's Avatar

It's the only way so far a collected set of requests have come through and most of the issues have been dealt with some way.

It is easy enough for you to say 'this is what WE want' but how do YOU know that YOUR opinion is OUR opinion.

The QT that I have in mind will collect the opinions of everybody interested enough to submit their opinions. They will be presented and then it's up to CA to use it or not.

If you think you know how to get through better than this then let me know and I'll be happy to work with you on it.

A voice from the past is heard in the lands...

i think the solution must be found in teh ype of questions and how they are stated. as i remember from the former ones most hardcore onliners didnt recognise a part of teh questions and the answers ca ea gave them.

i justw anna ask for a smart way to do it to confront ea ca with themselves and not being able to outmove us all with their answers.

The Mongol Heavy Cavalry are WAY too fast and the MLC have far too much defensive protection in-game. This is true whether looking from a game balance perspective or that of 'historical accuracy'.

MHC were indeed very well armored and armed. You could in fact class them as 'extra-heavy' in that not only were they protected almost head to foot but the 'horse' often had caparison armor too. I say 'horse' in parenthesis because the Mongols rode the famous Mongol pony of under 14 hands. Stout and hardy they may have been but they possessed no supernatural powers and could not break laws of physics. They were not as fast as European warhorses. Mongol lamellar armor was heavy in terms of protection AND weight (one does not always follow the other - it was a question of design). Not nearly as weighty as plate armor but still a major encumbrance. Their max speed would be a swift canter.

MLC should be the fastest because they wore little or no armor at all - why the game gives them better defence than Jap Cav Archers beats me. Also the MLC were superb archers but should have no special bonus over JCA in hand-to-hand that I can see...in fact 13thC JCA were superb archers too. About the only distinction between the two was the far greater unit discipline and tactics of the Mongols.

Well i made up a typical 6k army for the japanese.

Hev cav Gen
    6 x Yari Sam
    4 x Nods
    3 x X-Bows
    Nagi Cav
    Yari Cav
    Kensai

(all honour 2. No upgrades)

then i played with a mongol army of ..

8 Mongol Heavy Cav

(all honour 2. No upgrades)

Now cos we all know how dumb the AI is i used no tactics at all. I merely charged my mongols straight at the Jap army.

i won.

Not one of my units lost more than half its men and i basically wiped out the Japanese army.

Work that one out.

-Fury

[This message has been edited by RageFury (edited 08-12-2001).]
    "The only certainties in life are that we are born and we die. The rest is just a sea of complexity"

Well, i would say that you won because:

1. You only had xbowmen as missile units (eveb at honor 2, they aren't very good)

2. You're charging with the best unit type, hands down, of the time period

3. The way to use heavy cavalry most effectively is to charge with them

4. You're playing against the CPU, and it doesn't know how to defend against a charge like a human does

5. The CPU probably didn't take advantage of terrain... simply pulling back into the woods would have severely weakened your advantage

6. There were no other weather effects on the field to hamper your heavy cavalry, such as snow, rain, etc.

So basically all the conditions were optimal - weather, you're charging into non-cavalry units, crappy AI defense, etc. - for you to win.

What i think you should "work out" first is whether the attack could have been countered at all. Even when you factor out the weather, MHC still aren't so terribly powerful that they should wipe you out as Japanese. I suggest that you play the same game as Japanese and see what comes of it.

But then again, that's just my opinion... i could be wrong.

------------------

Also, i would just like to add that for those people who are playing the Mongol campaign and finding it easy to win at first (as Mongols), you're not taking into account that Japanese get to build structures, upgrade unit capabilities, retrain units, etc. as time progresses in the campaign.

Seems to me that the campaign will probably get more difficult.

Once again, i could be wrong.

------------------

6000 koku spears beat 6000 koku mongol hcav , i etsted thsi both ways so there must be a solution eventually but a vg player against a vg player i think the mongol will win easy...

Gifted Dilettante Member DragonCat's Avatar

Well there is a break in the online action, so thought I'd read through the threads. Here is my impression of the mongols online.

They are good to be sure- however I have both beaten them and have lost with them.

There are definite strategies. I'm not ready to say broken yet, but you have to go with new ideas, or you will lose to them.

I only wish you could play mongols vs mongols online, what were they thinking? That would be very interesting as well.

Anyways, I'm not ready to give my strategies away, and there are certainly others out there. For example, I can't get the thunderbombers to be worth anything, but I've had my position blown away by opponents using them - go figure.

And Maggy, the cavalry is SOOO much more fun to play now. Too bad Japanese cav vs Mongol cavalry has little chance.

------------------
    DragonCat
    "On the prowl . . . ."
    DragonCat
    . . . on the prowl!

I have just been playing a little more offline..just playing about with various units etc..

And it seems to me that this overwhleming strentgh of Mongol cav is actually intened. the developers seem to have gone more for Koku to Koku balance rather than unit to unit..

if this is the case it makes the game more difficult and fun. U have to decide when and where to spend ur money depending on wot enemy u are facing. I will write out a list of wot beats wot and costs later on.

-Fury
    "The only certainties in life are that we are born and we die. The rest is just a sea of complexity"

i would go for a unit by unit balancing

It would really be very nice if the Japanese Heavy Cav were upgraded as a counter to the Mongols. They wouldn't be AS powerful, to preserve the Mongol Mystique, but powerful enough to maybe neutralise a group of Mongol Heavy Cav (that is to say, to cause enough losses to the Mongol unit to prevent it from being a powerful influence after the combat) and to eradicate Mongol Light Cav while taking heavy losses. Or can the Nagi Cav do both of those things? I haven't seen them at all yet, so I don't know...

------------------
    Disappear into the Darkness!!
    "If your soul is imperfect, living will be difficult." -- Ryo Hayabusa, DOA2

"Hey, why are the enemy throwing their cookware at us?" *KABOOM* -- Thunderbomber sneak attack!

Oh geez, mongol heavy cav rush, yay. What about morale penalties?
    What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know.

can YARI SAMURAI kill MHC???? didi they have a chance???

------------------
    "It's better to let the enemy alive as to kill it ... To TORTURE it!"
    It's better to let the enemy alive as to kill it ... To TORTURE it

Check out my post about editing unit parameters in the editing forum. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000156.html

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

YS can indeed kill MHC like frogs eating flies. The problem is fixating the MHC since they're so freaking fast and well armored.

As far as any Japanese Cav is concerned, none of them can touch MHC head on. The trick with CA is useless since they will be quickly caught and chopped up by MHC and even MLC.

You're going to have to be creative. The MHC for all it's power is only worth 600koku...

------------------
    There's no such thing as overkill, just ensured victory!
    Roma Invicta- Rome The Eternal

There's no such thing as overkill, just ensured victory!

Member Member KumaRatta Yamamoto's Avatar

You're going to have to be creative, says Warmaker. GOOD!!!!!

Looking for new solutions, Creativity, the rules haves changed,sounds fun, finally a challenge for you very good players on MP, play as the japanese and keep us in touch of your findings!!!!!
    KumaRatta Yamamoto Sonkei soshite yuki Ratta Ichizoku. Come and visit us : www.rattaclan.homestead.com

a 600 koku spear unit will beat them with ease

If it can catch up with it.. And it is rediculous to have to have a contigent of spearmen just in case the enemy has MHC... but if you don't , you die

The trick just be not to try and chase them around. Just be careful not to let them flank you, and i think you'll be ok.

------------------

Hmm i dont see the point of this an honor1 ys with weapon and armour upgrade x3 costs 450 and kills mongol cav easy, so if a unit 150 koku less can beat it its hardly a bug and my tests werent even with ys on hold was a head on charge by both units which left ys with 30-40 men mongols none, satake if u fight mongols of course u will bring spearmen thats only natural dident we all expect that, nothings changed if u were going to fight a mostly cav army in the last shogun u would bring a good few spears

Swoooooooooooooooshooooooowl

[This message has been edited by Swoosh So (edited 08-14-2001).]

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast