Thread: Civil War....a good thing

Senior Member Senior Member Longshanks's Avatar

Just had my first Civil War....it was fun, but also worth the damage you take in the war. Originally the royal family was pumping out some great heirs and great generals, but as the years went on I definately noticed things had changed for the worse.(and they didn't inbreed like the Hapsburgs)

My kings started to become lackluster, with only 2 or 3 stars, and very low acumen.(they could barely read and write)Even kings who managed to produce alot of heirs, produced alot of useless slobs.

So I eventually sparked a civil war and I'm glad I did it. The new king's line is much better, his son and grandson both started off with around 8 stars and high acumen IMO it is worth the builings I lost in the civil war, both fighting the Rebels and the oppurtunistic French.

Judging by what the AI goes thru, it seems civil wars are meant to be part of the evolution of empire. However, I've not had one in a long time and there were times when I wished I had because my king & heirs were as awful as the ones in your example. Besides, I would like to have civils war more often, just for a change of pace.

How did you start your civil war?
    - All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

I believe that what one seeks to get out of playing MTW determines whether or not a Civil War is a bad thing.

For me, the simplist way to spawn quality Royalty is to pump up the Faction Leader's influence rating (i.e. Crowns). That is likely because I never worry about any Heir trait except Loyalty. My Heir Units do not lead armies or govern Provinces.

Civil Wars are triggered by low Loyalty, I think. To cause massive drops in Loyalty among numerous troops, have a Crusade fail, have a Faction Leader with low Influence, keep a Faction Leader at a distance from the majority of troops, keep Low-Loyalty Heirs at a distance from the Faction Leader, or lose battles and/or territory.

Having said that, s simple technique for triggering Civil Wars is to send a Crusade out to fail. Once done, identify Heirs with low Loyalty (e.g two or less Flags), put them in charge of large armies with low-Loyalty Units and move them as far away from the Faction Leader as possible. Breaking your trade route to cause a sudden large drop in Income doesn't hurt but only seems effective if it causes your War Chest to go negative at or near the same time.

Question: I've played many a game as the Byzantines and when I'm badly beating whatever faction I'm fighting the enemy goes through a civil war (quite a relief sometimes). Are civil wars also caused by the faction leaders losing battles/provinces?
    Heraclius you are just being a silly Greek...-Galestrum

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

I hate them.
    At first, when I've heard that there is going to be a civil war, I was really happy ( thinking to my-self that CA is taking MTW into ne depths ), but that feeling was soon gone when I went through my first civil war.
    When I saw about a half of my land turn into independent rebel factions, which can be re taken by anybody, I was really disappointed. So I guess the only good think about the civil war is that you do everything you possibly can not to have one. Pleasing your generals with titles is one of the options. Can't they just be loyal, because I am their king?

Senior Member Senior Member Longshanks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Exile @ Feb. 19 2003,15:53)]Judging by what the AI goes thru, it seems civil wars are meant to be part of the evolution of empire. However, I've not had one in a long time and there were times when I wished I had because my king & heirs were as awful as the ones in your example. Besides, I would like to have civils war more often, just for a change of pace.

How did you start your civil war?
    I ended up having another lousy king, except this one took took the throne while he was still young and unmarried, and he didn't have any heirs yet. I gave one of my generals(a royal from way back when...the guy should have been about 170 years old)a large army far from home. I then stripped him of his King of Jerusalem title, and sent an assassin after him. I made sure it was a low level assassin though so he would fail.

I then had the king lead an ivasion of Sicily, which was occupied by a rebel faction(remnants of the collapsed Byzantines), I didn't really give him enough troops to do the job though. The invasion failed and the king was killed in the battle, with no heirs.

The civil war then broke out, with the loyalist faction being led by a royal uncle who stats weren't that great, and the rebels were led by the other royal who had been stripped of his title. I supported the rebel faction, as its leader had great stats.(he should have really died of natural causes a long time ago though...I wish generals had life spans just like kings)

Blah and assorted comments Member Foreign Devil's Avatar

One surefire way to start a civil war, for a catholic faction at least, is to build several crusades in one provence and then destroy the chapter house. Failed crusades hit your king's influence hard, and once that goes all the way down, civil war is sure to break out.

Speaking of Civil War, Gods and Generals opens tommorow (feb. 21). I know I'll be seeing it.