Thread: RE: MedMod Thread

Hi Folks
    After lurking and reading virtually everything written for the last month I just couldn't resist joining in
    Obviously, I love this game. Also have the utmost admiration for all the modders out there-- reading all the info has me hooked on tweaking my own game

To the point (this may need to be cross-posted to the Dungeon for me): Red Harvest gave some info on bypassing the Sea of Marmara and the Adriatic to stimulate trade for the Byzantines and the Italians. This works really well as far as ship placements go. However, it seems that the Merchant doesn't recognize the new route as valid. I did a couple of tests with a Merchant in Constantinople. With the exact same sea routes and conditions, the Merchant produced about 1200 Florins without a ship in Marmara. When I reloaded and put a ship there it jumped to about 1800. So even though it works great for movement/placement purposes, it doesn't seem to have the desired impact on trade. Could this be hard-coded somehow?

Of course, I might also have messed it up somehow , but the ships are moving/being placed correctly.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Welcome Swordsman

I have no idea
    Im just a tavern tiger

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Alienated Senior Member Member Red Harvest's Avatar

Hmmm, not sure what this means. You might want to check to see the actual trade income for the province and break down of exports (select the little coin doo-hickey for economy info, then click on Constantinople, that will pull up exports by region)--see if it opens up any new trade routes that weren't working before. Some have said that having multiple ships in the path also increases trade. I admit I haven't tested this multiple ship bit. I should probably go back and test all of this some more, I was merely pleased when it worked at all, LOL.
    Rome Total War, it's not a game, it's a do-it-yourself project.

Red Harvest gave some info on bypassing the Sea of Marmara and the Adriatic to stimulate trade for the Byzantines and the Italians. This works really well as far as ship placements go. However, it seems that the Merchant doesn't recognize the new route as valid. I did a couple of tests with a Merchant in Constantinople. With the exact same sea routes and conditions, the Merchant produced about 1200 Florins without a ship in Marmara. When I reloaded and put a ship there it jumped to about 1800. So even though it works great for movement/placement purposes, it doesn't seem to have the desired impact on trade. Could this be hard-coded somehow?

This is an important finding if true and needs to be confirmed or disproved. First, exactly how did you change the early.txt to delete the references to the Sea of Marmara? This may have some impact on what the game engine recognizes. You might want to post the changes here so we can look at them.

In addition, you need to check which provinces appear on the trade when you click on the Constantinople entry as Red Harvest said. Just seeing the overall figure won't give you a detailed breakdown of which provinces Constantinople is trading with. Please let us know the results here. I don't want to have to spend time modding this (which I was planning to do) if it's confirmed that it's not going to work.
    Yours was not at first a criminal nature. At 10 you stole sugar,at 15 you stole money,at 25 you committed arson. At 30,hardened in crime,you became an editor. Worse yet is in store for you. You will be sent to Congress,then to the penitentiary. But,all will be well. You will be hanged.
    -Mark Twain

Hi Swordsman. Your deadly blade is always welcome here. We can copy this over to the Dungeon forum, but it looks like you are in good hands right here.
    This space intentionally left blank

Well, like a true rookie, I was so into the game-at-hand I just noted the anomaly for a couple of turns, shrugged, and moved on to wreaking havoc.

Trade? We don't need no stinking trade

I will try and recreate it in the next game and get more details. I originally just assumed because the Constantinople-built ships were showing up in the Aegean and could move to either the Black Sea or Marmara with no problem that I had modded correctly. But understand that things aren't always that simple. So I guess my experience is just a data point that needs to be explored further. I hope it turns out I did something wrong cuz I REALLY wanted this to work. Thanks for the feedback.