Thread: forceing a cease fire

Wink

This probably has been posted before but I figured a trick out recently.
    If you lay seige to every province of a faction you are at war with then withdraw all your forces at once you will no longer be at war with them. I find this extreamly usefull and not at all cheesy, so im wondering if others do this and if it is common knowledge.
    It makes sense to me that this would be coded in as to give the player an alternative to totally annihilateing enemies, since they never accept cease fires.
    Save the kurds

Ooooh...useful Didn't know that Thanks
    Temple of Aozos - roleplaying, writting, drawing and chatting community.

I will not buy Rome:Total War unless Viking Invasion is patched.

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

How interesting did'nt know that either.

Welcome aboard
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Welcome to the Org wordsmith. Thanks for sharing that ceasefire tip. I'm sure there are more than a few who will be loading up MTW to try that one.

Does it work with large empires as well as small, nearly defeated factions? How long does the ceasefire last? Are you able to ally with them once you have a ceasefire?
    This space intentionally left blank

thanks for the welcome

here is my experiance with the forced peace.

There is no limit to size that i know of, I have done this on factions who had 5+ provinces, so the only limit is how many provinces you can occupy in one turn then abandon the next. You need to make shure you dont have any unseiged forces about any where. I dont know if crusades count b/c it has never come up for me.

The diplomacy system in MTW is *VERY* simple it has 3 settings war-peace-allied, when you or the ai sign a cease fire all it does is change your diplomacy setting from war to peace. This remains until the peace is broken by one party commiting an act of war.

As for the ligitimacy of the peace... I often find an enemy unwilling to accept a cease fire so I pull my trick, immediatly afterwords my diplomat will often find yesteryears enemy to be most graciously accepting an offer of alliance.
    Save the kurds

uping this thread b/c it is so usefull
    Save the kurds

I just have to ask why would you use this tactic other than for novelty?

In my experince if I can attack and seize all of an enemy's provances it behoves me to hold on to them.

What situations have you used this tactic in?
    All you can do is pray for a quick death... which you ain't gonna get -Mr. Blonde

Slapshooter Senior Member el_slapper's Avatar

Well, can be useful in GAs. I'm pretty sure I had never read that. I don't know if it is a bug or a feature(let's say it's both), but is allows far more gamelength... More than cool. 1001 thanks.
    War is not about who is right, only about who is left

Having a point of view upon everything is good
    Having a view upon every point is better

Bored Avid Gamer Member Alrowan's Avatar
    Sydney, Australia... that place down under...

intersting...
    Llew Cadeyrn/Alrowan - Chieftain of Clan Raven

Cheesy in a sense that the AI does not think about saving its people in the first place. But then let's look at the Iraq...

I know a lot of people aviod eleminating factions so as to prevent dealing with reemergance of said faction. It can be very usefull when attempting to aviod totally eleminating a faction.

also if you dont want to capture a factions land, because it would be difficult to defend, to rebellious or a variety of reasons.

or maybe your working the diplomacy tree and a powerfull neighbor of yours wont alley with you b/c your at war with some puny punk of a faction. Forceing a cease fire will allow you to alley with both factions.

truely, a very usefull tactic.
    Save the kurds

Senior Member Senior Member Wellington's Avatar

Due to the title I thought this was going to be an interesting, and strongly worded, Political debate regarding the UN, the USA/UK and Iraq.

Oh well ...

... next thread maybe

Wellington, which forums do you inhabit constantly? The cream of the Org crop is found in the Tavern (you all know it) and I am just wondering where you spend your residence in the Org.
    Innovative Soy Solutions (TM) for a dynamically changing business environment.

Senior Member Senior Member Wellington's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Lehesu @ Mar. 22 2003,20:27)]Wellington, which forums do you inhabit constantly? The cream of the Org crop is found in the Tavern (you all know it) and I am just wondering where you spend your residence in the Org.
    Anywhere and everywhere - I don't subscribe to the blinkered approach

Mainly the Dungeon, then the Entrance Hall. Lately, due to the current situation, I've been a bit more visable in the Tavern.

Wink

thx for the tip, although I thought the same thing as Wellington did ...