Thread: Unit sectors ...

I posted this at the Coloseum, too, but I thought that ... heck ... shouldn't everybody say something? Plus, maybe, although I think it's too late, they could include this in VI ...

All of you must have observed that, once you order one (or more) of your units to attack, they all head for the middle of the enemy formation; I find this very frustrating, as sometimes you just want to hit the flank or, worse, if you have more units attacking the same enemy unit, you would very much like to see them not engaging in the same point.

Of course, the problem is old (at least for me, I thought of it ever since MI was announced) ... And the solution is very simple: when you click on attack, by pressing a key (like when you select the melee for the archers), the enemy unit could (virtually) split into three sectors(at least, and I think enough) ... the one you click upon it's the one your units will attack ... I think of this as to a major improvement; what do you say, CA?

Wink

Two simple things I would really like...

1)An attack move command, so you you can double click on a spot and your army will charge in a line, picking the nearest enemy unit as it goes.

2)Facing movements. Basically when you hold a key down, then click on an area and hold the mouse button down which ever way you drag it will be the direction your group faces.

That is what you get if you just do a simple click or double click.

You can maneuver your units so they will meet the enemy units at the sector you wanted. ie. You want 2 of your sword units hit 1 enemy spear unit at both end of the spear line

Spear
    / \
    Sword1 Sword2

You can use the waypoint moving (I forgot how since I have never used it).

You can move a whole formation by selecting all units you want to move then Alt + left click to make them move and maitain the facing when they arrive at the new location. You can use the same method to charge a whole line of your infantry at the enemy. In stead of double click on the enemy, you should double click a little behind the enemy (I think people called it charge through).

You can rotate the whole formation or part of your formation by group (G) all the units you want to rotate then Alt + right click and drag or move the mouse until your units face the direction you want.

There are many maneuver and formation keys that are in the manual plus there are a few tricks that the Vets here developed from their experience. There were some discussions about this topic in the past from which I learned some of the tricks. Some of them are very valuable in both SP and MP.

Humanist Senior Member A.Saturnus's Avatar

I would like to be able to turn a line of units as a whole. Now, you have to draw the spearline again, every time you want them to turn direction. Units should also be able to swing (if that`s the right expression) instead of turning.

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Alt right click does the wheeling/swinging. A whole line/formation of units need to be Grouped for a proper wheeling.

Ja mata

TosaInu

Thumbs down

Ok, bad ideea, life sucks

My thanks, I didn't know that, and to think that I pride myself by looking the manual and tutorials over before I play a game.

However I'm once again wondering, can you get your soldiers to move fast and wheel to a new facing at their destination?

Senior Member Senior Member Ithaskar Fëarindel's Avatar

Yep. Select the unit you want to move and right click the direction you want it to face. It'll start to turn - now hold Alt + LClick where you want them to move. They move and then wheel round. If you do this but hold Alt + Double-LClick they move quickly and wheel round.

Can do this with groups too. Select the units you want, press G to group them, and then right click in the direction you want them to face. Hold Alt + LClick and the group moves to the destination and wheels round (or Double-LClick.)
    Fëa-Quendi

*~Member of the Ronin Warlords and of UGLI~*
    *~IthaskarRW~*

Running round in circles IS better, B!