Thread: Tech problems

Hello All

Please i am begging if someone can help me to solve my problem

I am having that problem listed in the commom problems at the Help page. sometimes The game drops to the Windows desktop without an error message.

Ive tryed to do everything the help page said but it keeps going down. I lowered the resolutio to its minimun, than i tested it during a ew minutes of the game, then a start a campaign, and when i think that everything is OK, just when i click to command a battle, or just press esc. the game drops to the windows desktop...

I have the direct X 8.1 instaled in a Windows 98, and i have installed and unistalled several times the game, always with that mistic hope that now it will work like other guy said.

My PC is a Duron 1.1 Ghz, 256 RAM DDR, with a Gforce4 440, ECS 72S5A ( something like that ) mainboard, generic sound. 10 Gb HD.

If u can help me i would be incredible greatful

Thank u very much
    What you do in life, echoes through eternity

Beowulf

Come to the Apothecary and check the following thread (Tech help needed...):

http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin....;t=5428

Thank u very much

I will keep track of it

I hope now someone can help

Thumbs up

Thanks for the hands pdoan8. The left hand waves while the right hand helps Have a cookie compliments of the mods.
    This space intentionally left blank

Senior Member Senior Member MonkeyMan's Avatar

Obvious start here, I would say its probably a driver issue. If you havn't already, downloaded and installed the latest drivers for your card from

Here

Its about 7 meg, so it should be ok I hope.

If you already have the latest versions, make sure you have a copy of the latest drivers, and install the version that came with your card.

Hope one of these will sort it out.

Thank you monkey man

I am going to try it now, i´ll let you now if it works

Hope now i can play peacefully

Hello

O tried all this and the problem persists.

After half an hour of play, if i press esc or try to command a battle it crashes.

Senior Member Senior Member MonkeyMan's Avatar

Hmm, tricky one, seems to occur when your vid card mode changes, i.e. switches from displaying the main screen to something else. Have you tied updating your sound drivers, this is one other area I know there have been problems. It does seem odd that it starts off running ok and then goes bad after half an hour.

Once you've got and installed the latest sound drivers (if you tell us what the card/chip is we can probably find for you if you don't know or use dxdiag as detailed below and tell us what it says) Kraelin gave the following advice in the Apothecary:

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]you should also check dxdiag and make sure everything is working there. when you run dxdiag, there is a place in there that says 'save all information'. click on that before running all the tests and save a copy of it. even if all the tests are ok, it can still be helpful to us to have a copy of that in here.

K.
    Hope we can get you sorted out.

Talking

I believe those GeForce cards have an option for the amount of PCI memory allocated for textures, and that is often set too high. That setting should be accessable in the control panel for the video card under advanced. I would try setting that to 2 MB. Also, in the bios, you could try changing the AGP aperture. The initial suggested value for this is 1/2 your RAM which in your case would be 128. In any event, don't go below 16 for this setting or above your total system memory. Also, make sure anti-aliasing is turned off for your video card. That setting should be found in the video card's control panels.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

The Lordz Modding Collective Senior Member Lord Of Storms's Avatar

I read some old posts on TW.com the other day and Erado san was saying that the refresh rate setting could be a reason why you get some random CTD, I am not an expert but I have an Nvidia MX 440 PCI vid card and I had to reset my refresh rate which on my system was locked on 60mhz and I used a utility called NVRefresh tool which allows you to reset the refresh rate as needed I got mine at www.3dguru.com . Like I said I am not an expert or know much about Refresh rates but it might be worth a try...Good Luck
    Taking life one day at a time!

You may want to check how much cache you have. Windows manages this on its own unless you go in and change it...it might not hurt to bump it up a bit

Your machine kicks my lil 850mz athalon all over the map If I can run this game you should have no problems

PS. The latest drivers may not be the best; I loaded the 43.85 drivers from NVIDIA and they were bad for running the game (on my machine); I swapped back to the 30.82 drivers and everything runs just fine

Ja-mata TosaInu