Thread: Help a noob with an easy modding question?

Question

Hello I've been reading these forums for awhile now gleaning all kinds of good information.

I have just installed Wes' 1.84 mod, and I was hoping for a little help with regards to modding the castle garrison size. I have read several posts talking about how easy it is, but I cannot figure it out.

I'm guessing I'm supposed to edit the crusader_build_prod3.txt file? Here's the relevant text I think I'm looking for:

DATA START
    14 CASTLE Fort, Fort Motte, Fort Motte Bailey, Keep, Keep Curtainwall, Keep Curtainwall Ballista,Castle,Castle Ringwall,Castle Ringwall Catapult,Citadel,Citadel Barbican, Citadel Barbican GunTowers,Fortress, Fortress Artillerytowers1, Fortress Artillerytowers2 CASTLE, TROOP_PRODUCER 800, 300, 300, 1000, 200, 200, 2000, 300, 300, 3000, 500, 500, 5000, 1000 , 1000 6, 2, 2, 12, 4, 4, 18, 6, 6, 24, 8, 8, 30, 10 ,10 {}, {CASTLE},{ CASTLE2},{{CASTLE},{CASTLE2},{ CASTLE3}},{ CASTLE4},{CASTLE5}, { {CASTLE4}, {CASTLE5}, {CASTLE6}},{ CASTLE7},{ CASTLE8}, {{ CASTLE7}, {CASTLE8}, {CASTLE9}},{ CASTLE10},{CASTLE11,GUNSMITH},{{ CASTLE10},{CASTLE11},{CASTLE12}},{ CASTLE13,FOUNDRY2},{ CASTLE14,FOUNDRY3} Fort, Fort Motte, Fort Motte Bailey, Keep, Keep Curtainwall, Keep Curtainwall Ballista,Castle,Castle Ringwall,Castle Ringwall Catapult,Citadel,Citadel Barbican, Citadel Barbican GunTowers,Fortress, Fortress Artillerytowers1, Fortress Artillerytowers2 Fort, Fort, Fort, Keep, Keep, Keep, Castle, Castle, Castle,Citadel, Citadel, Citadel, Fortress

What do I edit to modify the number of troops that can be in a castle? Or am I in the wrong file? Wes said it was in the build text, and this is the closest thing I can find to that...

Thanks

Welcome to the Org TheRookiee.

I've posted your question into the Dungeon forum here: Editing Garrison Size. Stay tuned for an answer.
    This space intentionally left blank

Don't do it in text format. Go to the download section of the .org and dowload the Gnome Editor v2. Nicest tool for modding units, buildings and projectiles stats.

Or try this:

GnomeEditor V2

With Gnome Editor, the castle capacity is i the last column (column 28).

IIRC, changing the capacity won't change the siege time message (the one that says how long it will last).

Edit: I forgot this

Lightbulb

Thank you both for your help Many thanks.

Please tell dunno thanks for his reply as well.

Two more questions:

I increased the numbers for the castles you mentioned but in the game when I right click a castle, it still says the usual capacity number. I also tried starting a new campaign with no results as well. All I did was replace numeric values in the Gnome Editor. I didn't touch anything else. Am I still missing something?

Also, can I change the seige time as well as the garrison number? I basically want to make castles more valuable since they are currently just death traps for any troops that retreat to it.

If there was a way to keep the buildings from getting destroyed when retreating to the castle that would be another thing I'd like to do.

Thanks again for your help

Was you able to put more troops into the castle? If yes. It worked.

Changing the number only allow you to put more troops in the castle. It won't change other things like the capacity of the castle show in the building info page (when you right click on the castle), the massage that says how long the castle will last under siege, the number of years it will take for the castle to fall without an assault, ...

There was a thread on this topic a long time ago, but I couldn't find it.

oooooh; okay. Well it probably worked then, I just don't have enough troops to test it properly.

Guess I'll play the game and see how it goes. Thanks for the reply.