Thread: AI not getting excommunicated

Last night I was playing as the HRE. The Hungarians were constantly attacking my polish provinces, but NEVER got excommunicated. What gives? I wasn't excommunicated although I got warned whenever I retook my provinces.

Anybody ever seen this?
    In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power.
    —Marcus Tullius Cicero
    De Re Publica, 51 B.C.

For TosaInu and the Org Senior Member The_Emperor's Avatar

They will only get excommunicated if your a much smaller side... Excommunication is a meathod the AI uses to keep the player in check when he gets too powerful. Also the Pope is slower to act against his allies, so check to see they had an alliance with the Pope.

if you suffer a prolonged seige then maybe he would intervene, but I wouldn't hold your breath (and the Pope hates it when you counter-attack as well)

Get an Assassin ready and bump off either the Pope or your leader if Excommunication happens. (or send your king off on a suicide mission) The Pope is more trouble than he's worth, and he rarely works in your favor.
    "Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

Thanks for the tips.
    In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power.
    —Marcus Tullius Cicero
    De Re Publica, 51 B.C.

actually i'm seeing the same thing in my current game. I'm playing as HRE and have been at war with Italy for the past 10 years, so far the war has take over 20,000 lives.
    The pope used to be allied to both of us. When the italians attacked my ships i got a message that the pope was on my side. But no one has been excomunicated. We both started out about the same size (itally took over all of france) but in the last 2 years the italians have been pushed back into italy (i hope the russians don't attack, my east fron is completly open), and still no one is excomunicated.
    And no warnings, atleast on my side.
    Maybe it's because i'm friends with a pope, and i didn't start the war?
    MILLER: I wish we lived in the day where you could challenge a person to a duel.

MILLER: Now, that would be pretty good.

The rules for excomunication is quite simple. If a faction with twice the number of regions attacks, he gets a warning. Any aggressive action before the warning runs out leads to excomunication. Sally out of a besieged castle is not aggressive (since the patch) but retaking lost a region does count as aggressive. Attacking the papist is automatic excomunication. Blocking a crusade in conquest mode is automatic excomunication, in glorious goals mode it depends on if the crusade's object is a goal or not.

Being friendly with the pope has no effect on the rules. But he will send you cash if he has any spare.
    Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Wink

Qoute The Pope will send you cash if he has any spare

Sounds good to me does this work in real life?
    Suddenly feel all Catholic.

I've been playing an Italian game where the English, French, and Spanish were getting excommunicated left and right. At one point I received a papal warning after attacking a fellow Catholic. I did a castle assault right away and got away with it, since the pope didn't excommunicate me. I was later excommunicated for other reasons.

May kitso.
    My Webpage

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

BIG SPOILER BELOW

don't read unless you want excomm's to be ruined for you

Spoiler
    MTW can only remember one warning per faction at a time, No player is issued multiple warnings for aggression against multiple factions, only for the first faction attacked
    - remember the ten year limit for your warning though, once that runs out you will be issued a fresh warning for your first aggressive action.

what's that? you don't believe me?, oh well...

The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

I love that tip
    That makes a whole lot of sense. I'm sure that the developers didn't make it so the game would keep track of multiple warnings. So, for example, you could get a warning for attacking the English, and then you could attack the French with impunity on the next turn? The game would only keep track if you didn't attack the English for 10 years? I've gotta try that one.

May kitso.
    My Webpage

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (eat cold steel @ April 23 2003,03:13)]...Sally out of a besieged castle is not aggressive (since the patch) but retaking lost a region does count as aggressive...
    can you check this please?

i sallied from a castle and won the battle and got excomm'd,
    so that capability is apparently NOT in the patch that activision released to joe public.
    thanks,
    B.
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.