Thread: going off topic

why is it when ever I read a thread that it nearly always goes off topic and starts becoming a chat room? If your gonna post in the thread it should be about what the thread topic is otherwise post off topic?
    I am great

Why are people always posting useless threads, which have practically no reasonable purpose for existing?

Senior Member Senior Member Kurando's Avatar

I am not sure which threads you are refering to Tank + the mysterious reason why that happens at the dojo is probably the same reason that it also happens on every other message board in cyber-space as well.

I agree with you however that patrons should try to respect the integrity of other peoples threads and make an effort not to hyjack them. -Mind you, a lot of the time it is the patron who creates the thread who does most of the chatting...

Modern civilization is a vast conspiracy against silence

Gifted Dilettante Member DragonCat's Avatar

Hmmmm, doesn't this belong in the off topic forum? ;-)

Seriously, having watched several of my posts get hijacked, I think the reason is that people like to pursue their own agenda. I know I do. They don't MEAN to go off the topic, but it happens.

Its a lot like going to the dictionary to look up a word. You end up reading all sorts of definitions OTHER than the one you originally went for. Its one of the things the distinguishes as humans. We can be easily distracted.

Now, let's get back to discussing morale - since that is how pretty much every other topic is being hijacked these days . . .

------------------
    DragonCat
    "On the prowl . . . ."
    DragonCat
    . . . on the prowl!

Actually I think boards/newsgroups act more like a bull session where person A makes some points which reminds person B of something which reminds person C of something, while person D responds directly to A, which reminds E of something, etc., etc., etc.