Thread: Mongol campaign and yari ashigaru

When defending against the Mongols, the Japanese start the game with yari ashigaru in the field but can not raise them at spear dojos. Only YS are available.

Why is that? A goof perhaps?

Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

All I know is that it's supposed to be that way (it was an intentional choice by the game designers). Why? Not sure. Perhaps to make rooms for other unit types (I would not be surprised if the game engine was limited in this way).

------------------
    Khan7

the absence of the facility to produce yari ashigaru serves only to enhance the value of mongol cav
    with their speed of foot ashi are very useful in co-operation with slower yari at cornering and heading off MLC enabling the yari to close in for the kill
    by taking away the abilty to reproduce ashi, once they are gone its much harder to hunt and surround the mongol light cav in particular
    a wise but somewhat devious ploy by the games designers methinks

Senior Member Senior Member Obake's Avatar

I am quite sure that the reason for it is that virtually the only armed troops at the time were the samurai, and not the general populace.

I believe that the inclusion of some Ashi H2H troops are meant to represent those peasants who take up arms in order to fight the horde, but that the peasants cannot be conscripted to defend Japan.

Hope this makes some sense.

------------------
    Obake

I warned you, but did you listen? Ohh, no...it's just a harmless little bunny, isn't it?
    Obake

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally posted by Obake:
    ...I believe that the inclusion of some Ashi H2H troops are meant to represent those peasants who take up arms in order to fight the horde, but that the peasants cannot be conscripted to defend Japan.

[/QUOTE]

sure that makes sense
    but then you CAN train ashigaru but only in the art of crossbow firing
    why get rid of spears and let us only get xbows?

bet you a spear is easier to kill stuff with then an x-bow... like thrusting and stuff doesn;t take an Einstein... wouldn't a bunch of peasants make it to battle faster and wouldn't they cost less... a pointy piece of wood is much cheaper then a crossbow!

------------------
    Chaos is born from order.
    Cowardice is born from bravery.
    Weakness is born from strength.
    -Sun Tzu
    Chaos is born from order.
    Cowardice is born from bravery.
    Weakness is born from strength.
    -Sun Tzu

Quote Originally posted by Obake:
    I am quite sure that the reason for it is that virtually the only armed troops at the time were the samurai, and not the general populace.

I believe that the inclusion of some Ashi H2H troops are meant to represent those peasants who take up arms in order to fight the horde, but that the peasants cannot be conscripted to defend Japan.

[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm, I may be wrong, but I've always been under the impression that the disarming of the peasantry took place under the Tokugawa Shogunate and prior to that armed peasants and warriors were not a rarity.

Member Member KumaRatta Yamamoto's Avatar

I tend to agree with Yoko Kono here, i thinks it's developpers trying to balance things out.
    KumaRatta Yamamoto Sonkei soshite yuki Ratta Ichizoku. Come and visit us : www.rattaclan.homestead.com

I believe its this morale issue again target said that the jap units practically bolted when they saw mongol units that is why they raised the morale right across the board, perhaps they couldent raise the ashi morale without unbalancing them or something.......

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

I can just see it, MHC just trotting across the map, come over a hill and suddenly all the Ashigru pegging it, the devs must have laughed their heads off
    Have you seen the fnords?

Algesan, the disarmament of the peasantry took place just before the Edo period (around the end of the original campaign), but their armament originally occurred during the late Nambôkucho and early Sengoku period, between the Mongol invasions and the original campaign. Ashigaru were (virtually) unknown during the Heian and Kamakura periods.
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Quote Originally posted by Anssi Hakkinen:
    Algesan, the disarmament of the peasantry took place just before the Edo period (around the end of the original campaign), but their armament originally occurred during the late Nambôkucho and early Sengoku period, between the Mongol invasions and the original campaign. Ashigaru were (virtually) unknown during the Heian and Kamakura periods.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Unfortunately the specifics of early Oriental history was not something I got much of in my readings on military history. Sun-Tzu and the Book of Five Rings, of course, but then they are classics.