View Poll Results: i hope to see in RomeTW - what do you want?

Voters
31. This poll is closed
  • A more balance system

11 35.48%
  • Heavy armour steam rolling Roman infantry

2 6.45%
  • Celts/Vandals/Tinkstas

1 3.23%
  • Huns/Goths/Visigoths

1 3.23%
  • Hannibal/Elephants etc

0 0%
  • 3d graphics

3 9.68%
  • more focus on management/building/politics

5 16.13%
  • a game that I wont have to buy a new PC to play

2 6.45%
  • less historic focus

0 0%
  • more historic focus

6 19.35%

Thread: i hope to see in RomeTW

Roaming around the World looking for a quiet place to eat your family.

Again from the non constructive poison pen of a Wolf is a poll..a wolf who is hoping that one day we can have some form of voting system that helps us offer our opinions to CA...what a terrible idea that would be..well what do you expect from Saddamwolf HuMonsta.

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

Gladiators? Hmmm material for the Colosseum.

Topic moved.
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

you need another choice: All of the Above

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Monk @ Feb. 26 2003,17:27)]you need another choice: All of the Above
    So more *and* less historic focus then eh? How does that work?
    ~LordKhaine~

Roaming around the World looking for a quiet place to eat your family.

you make it very historical but have the odd jet fighter flying past the Elephants who are invading the shopping mall

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Just curious - the most popular choice is "more balance". What do people find imbalanced about MTW? Is it the MPers finding cav too strong, missiles too weak or something else?

Without the stirrup and couched lance, I suspect cav will be weaker in RTW and perhaps missiles a tad more powerful, given the lighter armour of their targets.

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

if anything much of the armour was better, and there was more of it, and the missile units generally less powerful. You certainly don't hear stories like crecy and Agincourt in the Ancient world.
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

Senior Member Senior Member Longshanks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Simon Appleton @ Feb. 27 2003,10:03)]Just curious - the most popular choice is "more balance". What do people find imbalanced about MTW? Is it the MPers finding cav too strong, missiles too weak or something else?

Without the stirrup and couched lance, I suspect cav will be weaker in RTW and perhaps missiles a tad more powerful, given the lighter armour of their targets.
    That is one thing I'd like to see. Cavalry shouldn't be the dominating force that it was in MTW, for historical reasons.

aye - but remember in SP that faster moving mounted units can now play a strategic role... which simply wont be represented in the battles on in MP.

A fast moving cavalry force may not be up too much in pure combat, but strategically (on the strat map) it can race around a lot better than foot armies.

This may well induce a greater divide between the use of certian units between SP and MP - which may, or may not, be a good thing.

Certainly a "throw away" cavalry force who can simply delay an encroaching army has a strategic use that cant really be represented in either STW or MTE with their provincial campaign maps.

MP worth of cav may well be lower - SP worth may be quite different at the "bigger picture" level
    morsus mihi

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

i think the more balanced system is mainly from ppl who play multiplayer or maybe thats me making assumptions...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Catiline, yes on reflection, you might be right about the lower importance of missiles in ancient warfare. My impression is that they were for softening up and skirmishing - not too different from what vanilla archers can do in MTW (lower morale more than cause a lot of deaths). I'd like to see the cavalry a little like the pre-patch MTW cav, but maybe even weaker. Not sure if there should be any big scarey kats lurking around - it may be just before their time.

I wonder what the distinguishing features of warfare in the age of the Roman period should be, compared to MTW or STW?
    I guess partly it might be the contrast between "warriors" and trained Legions. I am not sure how this could be represented in the TW system, as I would expect a big factor to be that the Legions can pull off more complicated maneouvres. Maybe more use could be made of the kind of "impetuosity" flags and behaviour we see in MTW? I would quite like the Romans to have some speed or responsiveness to orders edge too. The warriors might have high "charge bonuses" but start to falter in sustained close combat. I guess if the human plays the Legions, then the AI might do a decent job of simulating the dumb warriors

Isn't she pretty in pink? Member Rosacrux's Avatar

To be precise, misiles were a dominant force in the eastern type warfare (Persian, mesopotamian, steppe) and a rather insignificant one in the Graeco-Roman world.

Just to hold things in perspective - for instance the "heavy" infantry of the Persian armies relied upon the arrow shower to demoralize and put in dissaray the enemy formation.

Of course, when they met the Greeks, they got their butt kicked pretty badly... actually, they got their butt handed to them in a paper bag
    CHIEF HISTORIAN