Thread: Archers in SP add-on

Member Member KumaRatta Yamamoto's Avatar

I have noticed some differences with archers now (H1-H2). On flat ground they seem less effective than in STW, but with a hight advantage they are much more effective than they used to.

Did anyone notice any difference? or not?
    KumaRatta Yamamoto Sonkei soshite yuki Ratta Ichizoku. Come and visit us : www.rattaclan.homestead.com

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

I haven't noticed any difference on flat terrain,but with a height advantage H3-H5 archers have been racking up 70 plus kills per unit.If I have enough Yari to protect them I like to use a single line on an open hill.With that good line of sight they really slaughter slow moving units,or lightly armored ones.

------------------
    Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell so that they look forward to making the trip.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Kuma,

I posted about this a few days ago and got shot down, no one agreed with me. On flat ground, archers miss like hell and tend to fire more in an "arc" than a straight line than they used to... which means the arrows usually go straight over the head of whoever they're targetting and hit whatever's behind them (if anything). I've found for example that if there's a line of archers shooting at me with yari ashigaru walking towards me through the line of archers, to hit the archers I target the yari ashigaru.

------------------
    Koga no Goshi

"Nandai"
    Since time began
    the dead alone know peace.
    Life is but melting snow.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Like John Wayne used to say,"Windage and elevation Pilgrim,windage and elevation."

------------------
    Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell so that they look forward to making the trip.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by Hosakawa Tito:
    Like John Wayne used to say,"Windage and elevation Pilgrim,windage and elevation."

[/QUOTE]

The Duke rocks! I'd like to see him worked into Crusades Total War... he can be like a kensai or a geisha -- either will do.

The kensai version:
    Walks right up to the enemy, calls them name, then pulls out his arquebus and nails the enemy in a hail of lead while referring to them as 'pilgrims'.

The geisha version:
    Walks right up to daimyo, king, or sultan, challenges him to a duel at the OK Corral and shoots him dead while referring to him as a 'pilgrim'.

Alternatively, you could dress the Duke up as a Cardinal and send him off to intimidate weakling leaders into accepting your meagre offers for peace (or is it piece... but piece of what? )

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

I also posted on this but never got any response. Height has taken on much greater importance for Archers.
    However, after playing with them - I am finding that I actually like xbow men better - they seem to stand up to arrow fire better than samurai and while they have a shorter range, their bolts tend to do more damage.

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "A mind is a terrible thing to taste."
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"

The only thing that ticks me off about crossbowmen is that only the first rank can be incorporated into the battle, so if you want to get maximum bang for the bow you've got to put them in ridiculously thin formations and you can't use many units >:-(

This gives me the idea though of perhaps having a line of crossbowmen out front with your sturdy archers behind.. but you still can't incorporate large numbers of crossbows efficiently..

------------------
    Khan7

I've been using the Xbows like guns and it works out fairly well. They are slow to reload anyway and I find them a little better than the Arq and worse than the musket for killing.

Part of this might be that while fighting the Mongols, the SA have long exhausted their munitions and are cowering in the woods and the Xbows are still out there, plinking away with some yari infantry waiting for some silly M?C to charge.

Member Member KumaRatta Yamamoto's Avatar

Well Koga, must be nice to see that people ar now noticing the same thing as you. You we're slightly ahead of your time

Hey your in good company most "geniusses" are

KumaRatta Yamamoto Sonkei soshite yuki Ratta Ichizoku. Come and visit us : www.rattaclan.homestead.com