Thread: The Empire Strikes Back? bug?

After conquering fully two thirds of the map, with one Daimyo (Takeda) remaining, suddenly virtually ALL the provinces revolted! I had no religious differences and there was no reason for things to get 'Ikkei'. Also, a dead clan and daimyo came back to life!
    Should I have left Shinobi in all my provinces?
    Is this a 'bug' or is this the AI version of the 'Empire Strikes Back'?
    "Attack last;Retreat first"

You should have left a few Shinobi in each province.
    "What did the five fingers say to the face?"

I had that happen to myself a few times as well. Biulding towers and tower forts seems to calm the peasants. Also I found if your Diamo retreats from a battle, the provinces go nuts in revolt, they dont seem to like loosers.
    And dont tax them like a Democrat or liberal.

---------------------------------------------

' Eat your weakest man '
    TeuTonic
    PIV 2.4
    512 RD1066
    Gigabyte G-8IHXP Mombo
    G4 TI4600
    Audigy Gamer
    Western Digital 80gb HD/8meg cach
    Samsung 19 SyncMaster 950p
    Stransky-Grab your MP-40 and I'll take you where the Iron crosses grow row on row.
    Steiner...

the 'dead' clan coming back to life is not a bug as i have stated in another thread but i am not sure bout the reble thing

------------------

Watch out for that. . . . . Dam too late!. . . the story of my life!

WarlordWarrior
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Member Member KumaRatta Yamamoto's Avatar

Yes the peasants seem less docile than in the original STW (as the ronin's are more agressive), but this is what we asked for, a less boring end game.

I use shinobi and border forts also, because garrisons (with low honor taisho's)can and do get bribed by opposing clan's.

Ths strategic units seem stronger now, it takes less shinobi to provoke a revolt or calm down your peasants. Ninja's have more success.

The daimyo and heirs as strategic units have more importance also. When my daimyo gets old, i kind of retire him (no more battles) and pump up the heirs honor in battles.

This way when my old daimyo dies , i have an new Daimyo with high honor. Like they say in the guide book "a weak daimyo will get no respect" from his subjects.
    KumaRatta Yamamoto Sonkei soshite yuki Ratta Ichizoku. Come and visit us : www.rattaclan.homestead.com

THanks Guys! I just wanted to be sure it was 'as designed' (as a software integrator, I use that one all the time!).
    Anyway, CLINK was right on. The 'Great Rebellion' happened after my Daiymo was sliced and diced! I think everyone is right on this one but the 'trigger' was the death of the Daimyo even though I had heirs.
    Thanks!
    "Attack last;Retreat first"

The thing about the heirs having high rank when they succeed is BS. I had Tokugawa Ieyasu (r6) succeed, and there were still five million rebellions.
    My motto: Be sharp, not
    well-rounded.

yeah I've noticed more civil unrests in the MI. But like always, having troops in the province will keep loyalty high. And if they do revolt you will have small armies to mobilize to take them out quickly, other then bring parts of your main armies all the way back to untouched provinces...

oh yeah shinobi and border forts (since they act like shinobis) help too...

There have already been a couple of threads on the same issue as the original posting here.
    See http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001866.html and my own posting at http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001745.html

I don't know enough to get on a soapbox and start yelling "BUG!!" ... but if it's a "feature", I would certainly like some more documentation!!!

The first responses to the original post here may have missed what I think is the key issue. Yes, there are a number of things a player can do to improve things and lessen the chances of revolt.

In my case, I thought I has done them, and I thought I was in great shape until the whole island erupted in revolts. I swear I had each and every province WELL OVER 150% and my territory still erupted when the Daimyo died in battle.

I just wish I knew more about the "feature".

Yeah I had a similar thing happen. The destroyed clans tend to resurface more often in territories surrounded by ronin, that are away from you or from troops. The best counter is to keep lots a few troops around to garison your territories, use your shinobi around, lower your tax rate, and build buildingss and improve farm land even if you don't need them for a miltary purpose or economic one I've noticed that they help keep your people happy. Just increaseing farm production and building a castle in one area I noticed caused one territory in a game I played to stopy having a revolting every 2 seasons.
    To prevent religious revolts buid both Temples and Churches, if you do a balanced job of supporting both religions your chance of a religious revolt is less. A Temple abd Church in the same province works great.
    finally keep an eye on your tax display as it shows you what the loyalty ratting for diffrent areas are, you can use that to figure what area's you need to make more loyal.
    Finally take your time in advancing so not to extend your self. You don't want to take a territory, have it revolte or lose it to ronin or another clan just cause you over extending your self.

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

I'm glad I saw this thread, because it just happened to me. I was playing Shimazu from the 1550 start. I had conquered about half of the Island using my usual blitzkreig tactics that worked so well in the original STW. It has been a little tougher going with the X-pack. I do like the shift key color code check for loyalty, but anyway I probably had about 20 conquered empty provinces behind my front when my Daimyo got whacked. I had been pretty cafeful about monitoring for loyalty. I suddenly had a clickfest for OK's to drop down boxes for a revolt in every single one of those provinces that I had no troops in.

The manual mentions that revolts can be attributed to a cruel or a weak Daimyo, but mentions nothing about a dead one.

To quote the manual: "Revolts also influence the neighboring provinces, and if a revolt starts in one province it can soon spread to other provinces."

Either their definition of "soon" means a revolt of 20 plus provinces in one turn, or there is a minor bug.

Cheers

------------------
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

[This message has been edited by Forward Observer (edited 08-23-2001).]
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

I've seen this happen even without a daimyo death. Takeda had grown very large, and as Hojo I slowly worked him back till he was only left in Mikawa. I owned Totomi, Shinano, and everything right of that. When I was about to finish off Takeda in his last province, like 7 provinces on the far right coast (note these were NOT recently conquered provinces, but some of the earliest conquered provinces) all revolted for Takeda.

------------------
    Koga no Goshi

"Nandai"
    Since time began
    the dead alone know peace.
    Life is but melting snow.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Member Member KumaRatta Yamamoto's Avatar

A loyalist rebellion can happen up to 5 years after being conquered, that's 20 seasons, that's a long time.

Alastair: Where the rebellions peasant driven or loyalist? What is immediatly after your Daimyo died or after your high honor heir was "crowned" as the successor?
    Did you have shinobi or garrison or border fort (one of the above) in every province? Did ALL your provinces revolt?
    Thanks just trying to understand...

[This message has been edited by KumaRatta Yamamoto (edited 08-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by KumaRatta Yamamoto (edited 08-22-2001).]
    KumaRatta Yamamoto Sonkei soshite yuki Ratta Ichizoku. Come and visit us : www.rattaclan.homestead.com

hmm they probaly just loved thier daimyo so much or something or they think thier clan is weak. I don't i'm just dumb hehe.
    I am great