Thread: Now THIS is important

Gifted Dilettante Member DragonCat's Avatar

I am REALLY tired of the constant misspellings, typos, and misuse of words- including my own. If everyone would take the time to use a dictionary we wouldn't have half the silly rubbish being posted that we do now.

And compared to most of the drivil the community has been subjected to of late, instead of a joke, this is actually a serious comment.

Oh, ok, I meant it mostly as a joke (I hope you read this far before you decided to write your flamereply). . . and to make the point that its easy to quibble over things. Let's try to take the bigger picture and get at what people really mean, instead of what they let fly out of their mouths too easily.

And to nitpick one little thing:
    To those complaining about spending $40 - its $30- there is a $10 rebate, remember? Of if you didn't have the original, then $40 is a fair price.

OK, some more nitpicks (you shouldn't have gotten me started)

To those who are outraged that they aren't getting the patch they deserve: get a grip. I have seen more than reasonable effort to keep this game working and making it better.

As for multiplayer: I would love to see it, but I've always thought that it was too complex an undertaking for them to code. Those of you how have put a lot of effort into making it happen in the community, my hat is off to you. Its a giant undertaking and I think a lot of progress has been made. But I think it is a huge leap in development to make it happen. And far beyond the scope of what the developers are equipped to handle. Should we give up- NO! But I think we need to seek another way instead of butting our heads against reality. The definition of insanity is to keep trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Egad, it sure has become easy to get up on a soapbox and rant! My apologies to those of you in the choir who don't need my preaching. But for the rest of you layabouts. . . DON'T MAKE ME COME DOWN THERE!

From now on, I will only post to discuss reasonable topics- of which there have also been plenty. In fact, I think the morale issue has finally come around to a reasonable discussion among those with differing opinions.
    DragonCat
    . . . on the prowl!

spelled "drivel" wrong....

LOL, i noticed that too, but didn't want to bring it up... guy seems a bit agitated...

------------------
    "You have offended my family, and you have offended a Shaolin temple."

DragonCat, was this really necessary?

I happen to think you are one of the better posters, with your rationally thought out mature arguments and discussions....

...so why this...?

It really serves no purpose and should, if anything, have been posted in the thread started by Obake (the "enough is enough" one) as it's essentially stating the same things!!

I fear all you will do is instigate ill-feeling in the community and there is already plenty of that at the moment!!

Anyway, please stick to what you are good at.....posting interesting, informative and mature messages.

Regards,
    Doc
    =MizuDoc Otomo=
    =Clan Takiyama=

Now THAT was diplomacy, Doc.

Doc,MonkeyDan and Lord A,

Two key phrases that may have been missed- quoting myself from above.

"...including my own." I recognize I make typos and the occasional misspelling. I gotta move the dictionary closer to the computer.

and

"Oh, ok, I meant it mostly as a joke (I hope you read this far before you decided to write your flamereply)."

This is a clue that I am somewhat tongue in cheek about how "upset" I am, pointing out how the community seems to get all hot and botherd over even the most trivial or pointless things. Did either of you actually read past the first paragraph? It must be like the muskets in Shogun, my powder was wet and I was at long range, as I certainly seem to have missed the mark- humor wise.

Then to further confuse issues, I changed gears and got serious giving my take on several of the issues that seem to have gotten out of hand. People have been saying the most outrageous things.

And thanks for the compliment, Doc. Seriously. Its good to know I'm taken seriously (so much so that my humor has gone unnoticed) ;-)

And as to whether this was really necessary??? I direct you to take a look at Obake's post. If we're making people like him give up, then we've truly gone beyond the pale. And I don't think I insulted any individual or said anything untoward in any way. I think I made a plea for people to think a little more, to reply a little more thoughtfully and to try and put themselves in the other guys position- to understand what they are saying. If this is NOT what I have done, could you be more specific as to what you thought was out of line, based on your reply?

(extra credit for anyone who can tell me where the phrase "beyond the pale" came from and what it really means). Maybe we can salvage SOMEthing out of this thread, LOL!

------------------
    DragonCat
    "On the prowl . . . ."
    DragonCat
    . . . on the prowl!

The "Pale" was the are around Dublin that the Brits had under their control after the invasion.

------------------
    ]I ) \ / ]| [
    ]I \..I .]|_/

]I ) ]L\ ~][~~][~ ]L\
    ]I \ ]| \..][ ... ][...]| \
    [img]https://www.huscarl.com/Friends/DonglAis.jpg

]I ) \ / ]| [
    ]I \..I .]|_/

]I ) ]L\ ~][~~][~ ]L\
    ]I \ ]| \..][ ... ][...]| \

Hi DragonCat,
    I wasn't implying anything - just thought the spelling mistake was funny (I know we all make them, no matter how close the dictionary is!). It absolutely wasn't a personal attack (hence the little winking smilie thingy).

P.S. I also dislike poor grammar and spelling for what it's worth.

Yep, sorry, no harm intended.

------------------

Its not about the money its self...

Look up your Shogun Book you got when you bought it, and open pag 6.......read there! Attending remind me about this one!!

This is what it says
    -----------------------------------------
    The World of SHOGUN-TOTALWAR´TM´WILL LIVE ON

*Online events planned
    *More Historical battles to download
    *Patches and updates ensure that the game evolves with you, the player.
    ------------------------------------------

------------------
    May the honour be with you all..........EuroSan the reborned spirit of LinkSan
    May the honour be with you all..........EuroSan the reborned spirit of LinkSan

soirryu buyt itsd wiht mny dfick i typre!
    PUUUUSSSSSIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE POOOOWWWWWEEEEEERRRRRRRR!!!

I just love the grammar queens of the world. Why stop at just spelling? Why not include punctuation as well? Would that be enough, or should we submit all our posts to a tenured professor to check for run on sentences, correct structure, and so on?

First try and remember that the World Wide Web is just that... International, and for some of our posters English is a second language. Are you really upset if someone, who has taken the time to learn one of the most difficult languages, may misspell things?

Along the same lines, some of our posters are young, and may not have the education or experience to post things perfectly.

Please keep in mind it's the message that is important, not the way the message is presented. Yes there will times when a message will get lost in bad spelling or more likely bad structure, but for the vast majority of posts this isnt a problem. (oh drat, someone may not know what I'm trying to say without that apostrophe.... *ahem* isn't)

If your so concerned with presentation, then take a cooking class. If your interested in living without hunger, then stop looking at your food and chow down.

Voodoo Child,

Please re-read both my posts above. First, there was some humor intended to my faux "rant." Sheesh, I'm usually a pretty funny guy. I was trying to illustrate how a lot of the complaints have gotten out of hand. And you are now helping demonstrate my point- as a negative example. You have misunderstood the point of my post.

I don't mind the posts I can figure out - especially from those whose first language is not English. In fact, those posts I greatly admire. I DO mind some of the mindless gibberesh from those for whom there seems to be NO language they can communicate in effectively.

More than spelling or grammar, I really dislike it when people don't read intelligently and respond in kind. In fact, if you will remember, what I said is (here I'll quote it for you) - "Oh, ok, I meant it mostly as a joke (I hope you read this far before you decided to write your flamereply). . . and to make the point that its easy to quibble over things. Let's try to take the bigger picture and get at what people really mean, instead of what they let fly out of their mouths too easily."

Let me quote that last sentence again:
    "Let's try to take the bigger picture and get at what people really mean, instead of what they let fly out of their mouths too easily."

As you can see, I am saying exactly the OPPOSITE of what you have accussed me of saying. Far from being a "grammar queen" as you put it, I am saying, take the time to try and understand someone's point, before you dash off a flip reply.

Just setting the record straight!

------------------
    DragonCat
    "On the prowl . . . ."
    DragonCat
    . . . on the prowl!

Doh, got so excited replying to Voodoo Child I forgot to give partial credit to RyuRatta.

Indeed "the pale" was short for the palisade (wooden wall) around Londonderry (Derry). The English Law only extended as far as the palisades around LondonDerry (Derry) and so to go "beyond the pale" was to go where the King's Law did not extend. My use of the expression was to note that many posts have gone past acceptable limits that those who post here have agreed to.

Note English vs. British and Londonderry vs. Dublin. I could be wrong on either count . . .
    DragonCat
    . . . on the prowl!

Quote By dragoncat:
    "Of if you didn't have the original, then $40 is a fair price."[/QUOTE]
    perhaps this has already been mentioned or perhaps i am just blanking out and not seeing it correctly, but should the word "Of" be in that sentence at all?
    The claustrophobic mime in an imaginary box is a master of the microwave.

Also, anyone notice the laughing smiley face for this post?

I promise I won't troll like this again.

I'll read any replies, but hope I don't need to say anything more. . . ;-)

------------------
    DragonCat
    "On the prowl . . . ."
    DragonCat
    . . . on the prowl!

Thank you for demonstrating a hidden point of my post... It is so easy to misconstrued the tone of words you read off a page. To you, I'm guessing, my post was received as a flame, but I can tell you it was not meant that way, it was a reminder to all that everyone has their own way of doing things and no one way is better or worse than another. This includes ranting.

I find it amusing that you've taken the time to rant about the way people rant. I'm sure others will find it amusing that I have taken the time to rant about you ranting about...... I just choose to make my point about one aspect of your post. Whether it was said in jest, or part jest, you threw it out there. After that its fair game to anyone to pick on, whether the original intent is misconstrued or not.

What's my solution... Try an not criticize the way people do things unless it seriously jeopardizes the organization as a whole (in this case org)

heheh i knew there was a certain amount of lightheartedness (
    =MizuDoc Otomo=
    =Clan Takiyama=

i'll show you pointless... *shakes fist*
    The claustrophobic mime in an imaginary box is a master of the microwave.

Sounds like this thread is headed towards the dangerous waters of OT....

Please . . . kill me . . .

this topic has more than outlived its usefulness. . . .

------------------
    DragonCat
    "On the prowl . . . ."
    DragonCat
    . . . on the prowl!

Don't you go telling me the semicolon is cuter than the colon!!!

Come on put 'em up, put 'em up!!

If you can easily explain the rules governing comma splices in twenty words or les, I'll be impressed, until then, eh, who cares.