Thread: * * EXTREMELY INTERESTING * * or How to play STW, WLE and MI from one

first i have to apologize for not coming up with this any sooner i could have, but since i am very disappointed with the expack i wasn't poking around. i got this idea while i was doing something slightly unrelated. anyways, here we go guys, enjoy...

for starters, it is very simple, hehe, it turns out that the WLE/MI is hosted on the very same server (not too surprising after all). the only difference is the port to which you connect:

STW connects on port 8793
    WLE/MI connects to 8794

what does it mean ? - 2 important things right now:

1. everybody is complaining about the split "servers", and asking for the ability to play from a joined lobby- well now you can

2. all the folks who have bought MI expack and have invalid CD KEYS can now play this way

all you have to do is open the internet.cfg file with notepad and change the ChatserverPort to 8793 (you can find this file in the main Shogun WLE directory)

then just start your MI or WLE as you would normally and use your old STW CD key and nickname/pass to log on. voila !

you will find yourself in the 'old' lobby, you will see all the players regardless of which game they are using, you can talk to everybody as usual, you will have the new lobby features, you will see everyone's honour (from the STW database tho), you will only see the games that are hosted with the same game you are using.

one problem is with people who bought WLE and don't have the original STW, of course, they will not be able to do this, but i don't think there are many of those right now anyway. i have only played 2 quick friendly battles to make sure it works, everything seems to be OK, tho i'm not sure if reporting the game results after comp. games will work 100%, if yes then of course you can use 'new' game to compete on the same old ladder (if there's still someone who cares about that) - any volunteers feel free to try it

ok guess that's about all that needs to be said, i'm looking forward to see everyone in the same lobby again

cheers,
    jd

[This message has been edited by JayDee Daidoji (edited 08-23-2001).]

When on ICQ you told me it was possible I thought I was dreaming...hehe yep it is possible! wooohooo

Well good thing that:

1. The community will NOT be divided.
    2. I will not have to install the STW and STW+MI in different folders.
    3. After Richie's news I was depressed a bit. Now I am relieved.

Yep, this is great news, at least after this late inferno we got some good news, and ironically it didnt came from official sources.

Tera

P.S.

Just a pinprick: If I have Stw+MI not WE I can still do this process right?

------------------
    Honour to Clan No Fear.

Visit my resource centre here!
    Evil is within us...

[This message has been edited by Terazawa Tokugawa (edited 08-22-2001).]

yes of course, that's prolly the main thing here for folks who have bad cd keys for MI

------------------
    I'm a man... I can change... If I have to...
    ...I guess...

Wow JD your a genius...

But I have a question. Since I am one of those ones with the MI and a non working CD-Key. Does this mean after I change my port number or whatever and logon to the old STW, I can only play on the old STW server and old STW games?? or does this mean I play the MI Games off the old STW server??

It sounds me to me like this only means we can play the old stw game through our new MI. Which still leaves the problem of us getting on to the MI server to play MI games. Is this correct or am I totally off?

And if I am off, are you saying that everyone no matter which game can share servers, if all logged on to the same port? That means only people on the game MI can see only MI games, and people logged on through STW can only see STW games, but they are still in the same chat room, and able to interact with each other?

Sorry I'm still at work, so haven't been able to test it myself. But I was so happy with the news I just had to find out whats going on...

JD this great news!so all this really works,i myself was getting worried about haveing to re-install STW in new directory.
    Does this also mean u still have all ur patches*maps,1.12*etc intact?

------------------
    Shoko Emperor
    Die by the Sword
    Shoko Emperor
    Die by the Sword

HOLY BEJEEZUS, THIS IS COOLNESS ITSELF!!!! man, i cant believe it, i just tried it out! the one problem is not being able to play old stw games, and also the fact that people that have just started out with the game (bought warlord edition but not the original) will be separated on the newer server port. So that they will be alll alone....
    The claustrophobic mime in an imaginary box is a master of the microwave.

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

If this is all so rosy, then how do you explain having to re-register your name in order to play on the 'new' server? It may be the same physical server, but odds are they are using different databases and source instances...

Of course, I am 100% ignorant on this issue... so take my seemingly knowledgeable reply with a grain of salt... OK... with the whole bag of salt...

[This message has been edited by Vanya (edited 08-22-2001).]
    [Sips sake, eats popcorn]

Way to go Jaydee! Hat's off to you mate.

...and thankyou Critter for posting it in the main STW forum.

Quote Originally posted by Vanya:
    If this is all so rosy, then how do you explain having to re-register your name in order to play on the 'new' server? It may be the same physical server, but odds are they are using different databases and source instances...

Of course, I am 100% ignorant on this issue... so take my seemingly knowledgeable reply with a grain of salt... OK... with the whole bag of salt...
    [/QUOTE]

Basically each server is independant. Each stores its own usernames and passwords and more importantly its own cd keys.
    when u log on to the `server` ur form of verification is ur username, password and cd key. No game version verification is used (tho ea may foil our plans and change this)
    So in order to log on to the old stw server using the we/mi all u need is an old stw username, password and original cd key. What this means is u are logged on to the original game server but not with the intendend game version. You can only see and join games for your version, ie we/mi can only see those such games.
    This means we can all play on the same server with our old usernames and honor and more importantly....
    ... in theory it should be relatively simple to allow players to compete against each other regardless of game versions. In other words we/mi should be able to join old stw games (the new units just shouldnt be available) with the introduction of a patch. V1.12 players can only play people with the same `patched` game. Hopefully we can persuade EA to release a patch which paches the stw game to we/mi (v1.00???) making stw game visible to we/mi players but not the other way around for obvious reasons....

We live in hope once more
    All Hail JayDee
    Hail Hail Hail....

[This message has been edited by Yoko Kono (edited 08-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Yoko Kono (edited 08-23-2001).]

excuse the shoddiness of my last post im shaking with excitement

hehe jaydee gonna get a real big head it might explode!!!

jokes aside thnx a lot jaydee

------------------

Watch out for that. . . . . Dam too late!. . . the story of my life!

WarlordWarrior
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

JD where are you!?!?

can anyone answer my questions?? :P

Originally posted by DarthGuru:
    Wow JD your a genius...

But I have a question. Since I am one of those ones with the MI and a non working CD-Key. Does this mean after I change my port number or whatever and logon to the old STW, I can only play on the old STW server and old STW games?? or does this mean I play the MI Games off the old STW server??

This only means you play using a different server. You will not be able to play the old stw on this server just the new we/mi off the old server

It sounds me to me like this only means we can play the old stw game through our new MI. Which still leaves the problem of us getting on to the MI server to play MI games. Is this correct or am I totally off?

yep your totally off. see above and below.

And if I am off, are you saying that everyone no matter which game can share servers, if all logged on to the same port? That means only people on the game MI can see only MI games, and people logged on through STW can only see STW games, but they are still in the same chat room, and able to interact with each other?

Yep. Thats it exactly.

Sorry I'm still at work, so haven't been able to test it myself. But I was so happy with the news I just had to find out whats going on...

Its so exciting isnt it
    go on try it out
    pull a sicky

Yoko

isn't it your bedtime? like around 1:30?

the eyes, the eyes!!!

ahh thanks so much yoko for clearing that up for me

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Great news JD! Good work! Beats the heck out of the "install old STW in diff dir" solution I've been using. That works, but you hafta re-type the diff CD Keys in, depending which version you're using.

What can I say, but: Oh Ca-nada, eh?!

p.s. if it wouldn't betray state secrets, how'd ya find out the port #'s?
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Good work JayDee. It does suffer from the problem of not being able to handle original games so I'll have to put up a game later tonight and see if I get a nibble for a player.

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

I have made the changes, I WILL only be found on the original Shogun server!
    Copy the WE-MI cfg file,
    edit the original as above, and log on using your ORIGINAL STW CD KEY and password!!!

------------------
    DoragonBarocca of Clan Doragon
    The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

what about the ranking list????

------------------
    "It's better to let the enemy alive as to kill it ... To TORTURE it!"
    It's better to let the enemy alive as to kill it ... To TORTURE it

Well, you should be listed on the original server. The problem I have is that I have spent a couple of hours since I first read this both waiting for a game to pop up or sitting as host for a game and nada.

OTOH, my pissin and moanin got an EA support guy to simply ask for the information that would confirm I purchased MI from the EAStore and he will email me a new CD key.

STW connects on port 8793
    WLE/MI connects to 8794

all you have to do is open the internet.cfg file with notepad and change the ChatserverPort to 8793 (you can find this file in the main Shogun WLE directory)

Well done JD'but 2 questions

If i am a WE/MI player and i change this file to the old 8793 number am i then able to see people online who have not done this?I mean people who have WE/MI and have not changed this?I take it i will not see the new lobby?

Also as i suspect i won't see the new lobby with most players with WE/MI.Can the STW only players not use the 8794 number and appear in the new lobby?

Hach

------------------
    The greatest thrill in life is not to Kill' but to let live!
    The greatest thrill in life is not to Kill' but to let live!

For England and St.George Senior Member ShadesWolf's Avatar

This is great news guys

Clan shades r over the moon about this info, thanks for sharing it with us.

I and the rest of the UK part of the clan will see u all in the Add-on tomorrow

HHHHHHOOOWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
    ShadesWolf
    The Original HHHHHOWLLLLLLLLLLLLER

Im a Wolves fan, get me out of here......

well JD i have X-pack here now!going to check all this out wow! Here goes.....

------------------
    Shoko Emperor
    Die by the Sword

THANKS JAYDEE!!!

Now I believe the Force DO exist! And, only Jaydee got the Force!

This answer the question, now we can watch and talk to other
    girls. Also, we can talk with our old girlfriends too. LOL

Guys with MI would be more powerful for a while on old server.

Now, on old server,

When a player who host game and ask the play who want join the
    question, "What's your honor?"
    Guys with MI can answer the question since they got X-Ray Eyes to
    see the honor number near the players names.

When a player who join a game and ask game host the question,
    "What's the season?"
    Guys with MI can answer the question since they got X-Ray Eyes to
    know what season it has within the game.
    EDIT:
    I think can't get this kind of X-Ray Eyes, Guys with MI can't see
    old STW games on Gamelist.

Wow, wow, wow, now, we are unity.

Gustavus2 (STW)
    BaiQi (MI) / Nurhachi (MI)

[This message has been edited by Gustavus2 (edited 08-23-2001).]

darth had his q's answered + he was already online over there so he's ok

hata
    "was getting worried about haveing to re-install STW in new directory."
    - well don't stop because you will have to do that IF you want to play both 'new' and 'old' game

"Does this also mean u still have all ur patches*maps,1.12*etc intact?"
    - when you install MI it goes on top of STW, adds new files, updates some other; it will add the WLE maps ie. overwrite the standard ones, i'm not sure what it does with the extra custom ones, although it should leave those alone (i don't have MI so there)
    - as for patches- once you install MI they are irrelevant, you then play WLE v 1.0

wonton- i mentioned that at the end of my post

another obvious "problem" is that you can't tell who is using which game when in the lobby, one solution would be to keep a WLE room open, but we have learned many times that it just doesn't work, not much i can do about this

Vanya
    "If this is all so rosy, then how do you explain having to re-register your name in order to play on the 'new' server? It may be the same physical server, but odds are they are using different databases and source instances..."

- i don't need to explain, hehe, it IS one server, it is running 2 lobbies simultaneously on 2 different ports, and there ARE 2 databases, one for WLE/MI and the old one for STW; if you want to log on to the new lobby you need one of the new cdkeys, if you want to log on to the old one you of course need the STW cdkey; it works because there is no server check for the version of the game, and the chat client is built into the game and works exactly the same in both, that's why this works

yoko
    "... in theory it should be relatively simple to allow players to compete against each other regardless of game versions. In other words we/mi should be able to join old stw games (the new units just shouldnt be available) with the introduction of a patch. V1.12 players can only play people with the same `patched` game. Hopefully we can persuade EA to release a patch which paches the stw game to we/mi (v1.00???) making stw game visible to we/mi players but not the other way around for obvious reasons...."

- you will have to forget about that right now, there's more to it then the version number. sorry

KukriKhan
    "Beats the heck out of the "install old STW in diff dir" solution I've been using. That works, but you hafta re-type the diff CD Keys in, depending which version you're using"

- i'm not sure what you're doing over there, lol. part one - probably the same explanation as for Hata; this only lets you play NEW game from the OLD lobby, it's not the diff cdkey depending on which version, rather starting a different version of the game and then connecting with the same cdkey

CeltiberoSkullXIII
    "what about the ranking list????"

- what about it you are using old STW database if you do this so if you play competitive games then you're playing on the STW ladder, not the new one

hach
    "If i am a WE/MI player and i change this file to the old 8793 number am i then able to see people online who have not done this?I mean people who have WE/MI and have not changed this? I take it i will not see the new lobby?"

- no. you are in the old lobby and see whoever is there, ie. ppl like you with WLE and all the ppl with STW

Can the STW only players not use the 8794 number and appear in the new lobby?

- they COULD, if they have WLE or (valid) MI cd key; remember this was mainly a fix for those who CANNOT get online with their MI for now; but since there are a bunch of ppl who want to be online together, it has to go this way as the ones with new game DO have old STW cdkey, but STW guys don't have the new cdkeys

//me needs a break

------------------
    ...I guess...

[This message has been edited by JayDee Daidoji (edited 08-23-2001).]

JayDee, can you still play the MI server, with the new units, or do you have to change back the port code?

------------------
    Honour to Clan Shades!
    Honour to Clan Shades!

you will be playing whichever game you used to log on with

you can only host/join games with ppl who are using the same version as you, but you can talk to everybody at the same time

------------------
    ...I guess...

This needs to be bumped for our fellow Euros

------------------
    Honour to Clan No Fear.

Visit my resource centre here!
    Evil is within us...

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

from what little i've been able to see, this DOES affect your honor points. i believe it bumps them up by 20 points, since stw started everyone at 80 and the xpack starts everyone at 100. my 'honor' is now 94 when playing the xpack on the stw server and i was NEVER that high before, mostly cause i dont play comps.

you can also go back to the xpack server and your honor on that server will remain whatever it was before you went to the stw server. diff databases.

frankly, i tried out going back with xpack to stw server and found i'd rather be on the xpack server...fewer newbies :) .....'how do i install the patch? i put it in my directory and it doesnt work!'. 'what does network version mismatch mean?'. 'why cant i see any games?'.

K. ;)

------------------
    I'm sorry, but i never apologize.

errrrrr... krae, man... where did you come up with that ? STW started with 100

and even if they started at different values the game would still have no effect on it at all since it barely reads the info from DB, one or the other

------------------
    ...I guess...