Thread: I am uninstalling till patched

Sorry i am uninstalling till patched.

I would rather play old STW until then.
    They did many good things to the Exp particuarly on the strategic map'but not enough to let me enjoy the game in SP mode.

The campaign is just so weak now and easy with cheap buildings and units and upgrades.

My lovely green loyal provinces revolted and even after they revolted they still remained green?

I don't get reinforcements full stop'but the computer gets plenty.

This reinforcement from anywhere for the AI even my own side of the map on bridge battles is ridiculous.

The morale thing.

Mongol vs Mongol Japanese vs Japanese

The speed on the strategy map of the AI moves.

The thing is i don't understand why they changed these things?All we wanted was the new units and the map editor?

If it ain't broke why fix it?

I of course am still interested in patching the game and will still post on the patching forums'but i have enjoyed STW for over 1 year now.I have'nt enjoyed this game for 1 day.

Hach
    The greatest thrill in life is not to Kill' but to let live!

Blog Entries

yep

Yeah, i think you guys said this already.

You should also make an announcement the next time you decide to brush your teeth. I am excited to hear about that too!

LOL, j/k

Seriously, this has really gone on long enough.

------------------
    "You have offended my family, and you have offended a Shaolin temple."
    "You have offended my family, and you have offended a Shaolin temple."

I just got MI, and have played two turns of the Mongol campaign as defender.

During this time, I've had a major side-show of my strategy unhinged by the rout bug, been caught unaware by reinforcements on the wrong side of the bridge, and been dizzied by the speed of the AI strat map moves.

I am loving every minute of it, and will return shortly to play more.

------------------
    "When on the battlefield, if you try not to let others take the lead and have the sole intention of breaking into the enemy lines, then you will manifest martial valour. This fact has been passed down by the elders. Furthermore, if you are slain in battle, you should be resolved to have your corpse facing the enemy."
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

LOL @ Anssi! That's just how I feel.

Remember that there were bugs with the old game that we screamed about for ages and never got patched. We got over it and now we're doing the same thing and delivering ultimatums about never playing MI again.
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa

but i will play MI again and never said i would'nt.

But i will play STW until it's patched.
    Actually on the old dojo or even on this forum i never ever asked for anything to be patched on STW which shows how bad the problems are on MI.

Hach

i support u hach, it is obvious to teh ones who open their eyes, but all teh hyping made soem blind of love but eventually we all see the things clear...
    quote:I gallop messages around, dont track me I can bring war as well

it is a shame they have messed up a lot of stuff and it is making ppl stop playing!

------------------

Watch out for that. . . . . Dam too late!. . . the story of my life!

WarlordWarrior
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

I love Shogun and like Maggy have been around since the old days when STW was still rumoured to be getting cancelled 'the works.

So i'm not some newbie just making a smart comment which i get the feeling some people think'or have not had time to get to know the game as just released.

Instead of just adding the new things'they changed things which worked fine for me on the old game or even if they were not great were better than what the x-pac has given us.

Up until Friday i never knew these things and just expected the new units and the changes to the strategy map(which i again think are great and the one thing i still want are these campaign map changes)
    I then discovered these changes and it's the reinforcement issues that have really killed it for me more than anything else.

So i won't throw the MI away as we are promised 1 patch and i want to work to make this a better game'but until then i will stick with my old faithful STW which to me is more fun and more challenging in campaign mode.

The thing i don't get is i can't remember any reviews telling us these changes before the game was released.I suspect it was not the finished game that was reviewed.

Hach

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

hmm, aside from the lack of Mongol army-strategy variation, I have little to complain about.
    in the end, I'll no doubt revert back to more Japanese vs. Japanese campaign games than the Mongol invasion, simply because the MI offers little difference in repeat games. still, after not having played STW for a few months, the thrill is back!

[This message has been edited by solypsist (edited 08-29-2001).]

Hach,

Nice way to put your money where your beliefs are. Except, you've already given EA your money. Once you've bought the game, therefore endorsing the company and all its practices, they could care less if you play the expansion everyday or you use its CD case as a coaster. Sorry but that's the truth.

------------------
    Koga no Goshi

"Hokusai"
    Now as a spirit
    I shall roam
    the summer fields.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

No not true ... I dont believe those most intimately involved with game would not care if people play it.

------------------
    In Reality ...
    In Reality ...

As Target implied, the people most intimately involved with the game are not the ones deciding where money and manpower will be spent. And the focus is on STW2, not on patching MI.

------------------
    Koga no Goshi

"Hokusai"
    Now as a spirit
    I shall roam
    the summer fields.
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Hmmm....

Well, so far, I'm rather liking the Warlords Edition for Single player campaigns.

--I kind of like the lower build times etc. To me, it gets the game rolling faster with the better troops. In the old version, we just overran the map with masses of SA and YS...effective, but dull. I think the new way gets the more interesting units and interactions onto the battlefield earlier which is a good thing IMO.

--Havent had any strange revolts yet, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

--Yes, reinforcements are somewhat buggered. I'd like to see them tweak this a bit. Annoying, but not enough to make me stop playing just yet.

--Morale thing? Are you seeing problems in SP? I think Morale is working just fine in the standard 1530 campaign. What is wrong with the Morale in SP? Plz elaborate if you are not referring to the screwy Mongol/Japan morale thing.

--Speed of AI Moves on the map? Hmm, I have no problems at all here either. Is there som eway that you could have accidentally disabled 'the scenic tour'? I know if you hit 'space' it goes at warp speed, but the standard moves go at the same speed as before for me (P3 550 with 256m of RAM and 32M Nvidia).

My biggest gripe so far is that there is STILL no multiplayer in the campaigns. IMO, this is criminal as it was the one HUGE feature that I was looking forward to. For me, they could have trashed the whole Mongol Invasion thing and just added to the standard campaign while adding MP capability and I would have been much happier.

At any rate, I still see it as a marked improvement over the original. Its worth it to me just for the fact that AI doesn't cheat so badly that we arent even playing the same game.

Talenn

Member Member KumaRatta Yamamoto's Avatar

Talenn i agree with everything you have written in your last post. Yes, considering all the depth added to the Sengoku campaign (strategy wise-You can now apply Sun Tzu's maxims to the strategy map), i would have gladly exchanged the mongol campaign for a playable on-line Sengoku campaign.

AND DON'T WORRY the morale problem concerns mainly MP and custom battles. The SP campaigns ARE FINE.

The veteran tacticians (battles on-line) are not happy. The veteran strategists (Turn based strategy map -Sengoku period) are very happy.

IT's a question of what is your main interest in the game.
    KumaRatta Yamamoto Sonkei soshite yuki Ratta Ichizoku. Come and visit us : www.rattaclan.homestead.com

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

the fact that enemy reinforcements show up so quickly (even when the whole army has been routed off the field) and mine fail to ever show up within speedy comparison sort of puts me off playing until this is patched up. i havent quit playting, but will probably stick to simple scenarios and such.

I agree Solypsist.

That is the main thing thats putting me off especially in timed campaign battles.

I am attacker.

No matter how skillfully i fight my units get whittled down'smaller and smaller.

My men are exhausted' and they are expected to chase of these fresh units appearing from all corners of the map.
    I get no fresh units'and my knackered men rout eventually.
    The old German eastern front parallel.
    We can kick ass'but we can't kick every ass their sending our way.Sooner or later they'll kick our ass back.

Hach

KumaRatta - your analysis is dead right - as a strategist I love MOST of the changes in the game. Tactically, there are is issues for MP games.
    Solypsist - Reinforcement handling is goofy all the way around. I have gotten reinforcements without a problem, I just cant see the logic in a group of ashigaru showing up in the enemy rear only to be surrounded by cav and WM and routed thru the enemy for max casualties. It is one of the things that needs to be addressed in the patch - both the location, and the fact some ppl dont get their reinforcments.

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "A mind is a terrible thing to taste."
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"