Thread: MI counter Units

Not had chance 2 really ply this game yet as still plyin STW.
    All these new units that have been added,which units counter which i.e YS used against CAV.Monks hate arrows etc.Just wonder if poss give a run down on all units as well be helpful to me and other just starting out! plzs

------------------
    Shoko Emperor
    Die by the Sword

when the Mongul Cavalry come-a-knocking...run, you don't have the answers

but seriously, I'm not sure anyone is completely 'at-home' with the units yet (not in europe anyway )

but now the morale appears to be getting sorted people may start playing in earnest
    Have you seen the fnords?

but now the morale appears to be getting sorted people may start playing in earnest [/B][/QUOTE]Hey m8 how is the morale issue getting sorted?

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Countering units...? Well, its easy to respond to that using the old typical responses from the STW days: it depends on your style of play!

I think Arqs would win the day for the Japos, but alas, they are not available! *Sigh* [*Winces at not being able to field the invincible wet gunny wedgie army of doom against the Mongols...*]

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

check out the bottom of the 'sad discovery about new morale system' thread and see what you think, new info there (relativly anyway )

looks like there is hope yet - just off to try it (could actually make things interesting again)
    Have you seen the fnords?

Well, no one else wanted to take a stab at it - so I will.

These are if your attacking!

Mongol Heavy Cavalry - counter with Yari Samurai - either multiple units or a single unit with upgrades. (A single YS with legendary weapons and armor will lose 10-15 men taking down a MHC of equal honor on level ground.) Also - use your spears wisely - either fight downhill, or in woods, or best yet, downhill in woods!

Mongol Heavy Cavalry #2 - Naginata Cavalry - more expensive than the upgraded yari solution, but sometimes more fun.

Mongol Light Cavalry - 1x Yari Cavalry, or 2x of yari samurai, no-dachi, or monks. If your using infantry you will need more than one unit, as the cav will run circles around you otherwise.

Mongol Skirmishers - Ranged attackers - primarily archers, as they have the longest range and the shield the skirmishers carry seem to be held at body station, as compared to upwards to deflect incoming arrows. Once the skirmishers advance, hit them with cavalry from the side....

Thunderbombers - well as they will usually explode themselves, its up to you - but with small unit size to boot any range attack unit is good.

Guardsmen and Spearmen - These guys are easy - just don't hit them with cavalry and your fine - Yari Samurai, No-Dachi, Monks and Naginata are equal to or better than these guys.

Now to defense:

Given the advantages that defense provides, a standard army of 4x Archers, 4x yari Samurai and 3x Xbowmen is usually sufficient to take out any attacker. Having a unit or 2 of cavalry can really allow you to clean up as well. Set your Xbowmen at 3/4 on the hill, and string them WIDE (2 ranks is best). Support them with the archers at the top of the hill, with the yari watching over it all.
    Cavalry on the back flanks ready to charge.

On a hill the xbowmen will have the range to take out MLC, and they absorb arrow fire very well with minimal loss. Combine that with high firepower, lots of ammo, and their cheap cost, and you have a very useful unit. Backed by Samurai and in Hold mode, they will stand and fire even under a charge.

Keep your archers on standby, as their ammo is more limited - Use them on the units your not sure the xbowmen could rout on their own. Heavy cav is usually the only one that this applies to.

A note on heavy cav - guns are ok against them, but for the money xbowmen are more accessible, and available earlier. If your being charged by heavy cav, you WILL need a yari sam to come off the hill and intercept the charge, but they will have an advantage fighting downhill.... then use that cav unit to hit the MHC from the side.....

Any other unit that you encounter will rout before it gets close enough to your position to do any damage - since the only other danger is a MLC charge and they invariably stop and use their arrows first, you will have ample opportunity to whittle their numbers down quick.

This help? If you need counters for the japanese units let me know - I will give you both the japanese and mongol counters.

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "A mind is a terrible thing to taste."
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

[Hits the gong]

Ohh... you very good... I not see that comming...! Ohhh...!

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

Quote Originally posted by BSM_Skkzarg:

This help? If you need counters for the japanese units let me know - I will give you both the japanese and mongol counters.

[/QUOTE]Thxs BSM yeh man post away will help me and others alike

U out there BSM?

Quote Originally posted by BSM_Skkzarg:
    Well, no one else wanted to take a stab at it - so I will.

Mongol Heavy Cavalry - counter with Yari Samurai - either multiple units or a single unit with upgrades. (A single YS with legendary weapons and armor will lose 10-15 men taking down a MHC of equal honor on level ground.) Also - use your spears wisely - either fight downhill, or in woods, or best yet, downhill in woods!
    ---------------------------------------------

Im currantly in the middle of MI expert. Been carrying pretty well much the same tactics as you have described,and haven luck at it.
    I try to find the steepest hill on the map,and park my chicken ass there. Yari Samurai by rights, should be able to allmost devestate a cavalry charge up a steep embankment,with light casualties to the Yari. This doesn't always to be the case.
    One thig I have found as the game goes on, the Mongol light cavalry seem to attack up hill sooner instead of sitting at the bottom of the hill to compete in a shooting match with your archers. Mongol AI tends to pick up on your style of play,or so it seems.

[/QUOTE]

TeuTonic
    PIV 2.4
    512 RD1066
    Gigabyte G-8IHXP Mombo
    G4 TI4600
    Audigy Gamer
    Western Digital 80gb HD/8meg cach
    Samsung 19 SyncMaster 950p
    Stransky-Grab your MP-40 and I'll take you where the Iron crosses grow row on row.
    Steiner...