Thread: Worth The Money?

So most of us all ready have the game(Mongol Invasion)What do most of us think 2 it so far?
    1#Units most impressed with!
    2#Units not worth the time and space!
    Imo im very impressed with the MLC they pack a quick punch.As for the game on a hole,not had chance 2 check it all out yet,but things shapeing up,apart from morale problem!
    Worst unit could well be bombers nightmare 2 use....

------------------
    Shoko Emperor
    Die by the Sword

for me it aint worth the money unless it is decently patched
    quote:I gallop messages around, dont track me I can bring war as well

or modded.. i.e. make a mod, fix the morale..

------------------
    Khan7

I like it but but i never played the original.

I probably have a decent list of complaints but overall its good. The mongol artwork seems unfinished though.. The footmen are all one color and look like little wooden soldiers (literally made of wood).

I'll love it and sing songs about Shogun Totalwar Mongol Invasion...

-WHEN-

they release the multiplayer campaign patch that was ADVERTISED as already being in the game.

Ready to sing...

worth the money on sale at best buy

I agree about the mongol artwork. The quality is not very good and they all look the same.

After all the M-I is not all bad, bad and bad. The single-player is very good, of course no game is perfect. And the MP, excluding the morale issue is fun too.

I am a Shogun lover and I felt I had to buy it anyway.

------------------
    Honour to Clan No Fear.

Visit my resource centre here!
    Evil is within us...

Senior Member Senior Member Kurando's Avatar

Living in a non-European country it bothered me somewhat that I was forced to buy the same game twice, but it was certainly worth the money (both times).

Modern civilization is a vast conspiracy against silence

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

I paid only $20 for my expansion so life is good here.

The SP is amazing! I find morale is good, bribes are fun, and new campaigns are a great twist. Historical campaigns are good too. All in all, SP Mongol Invasion is simply tons of fun!

I've yet to try MP for the Mongol Invasion so I've no opinion there.

EDIT: My answer to your question is an emphatic yes!

[This message has been edited by Shiro (edited 08-30-2001).]
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa

Member Member KumaRatta Yamamoto's Avatar

For me it was worth the money because of the SP Sengoku jidai campaign on it's own.

BUT

If you are a hardcore MP player and really loved the old morale setting of the original STW, maybe you should wait a bit.....
    KumaRatta Yamamoto Sonkei soshite yuki Ratta Ichizoku. Come and visit us : www.rattaclan.homestead.com

nope. sorry.

------------------
    ''I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I believe and what I believe—I believe what I believe is right." geowge W —Rome, July 22, 2001

Nope, wasn't worht the cash, but
    Is anything ever REALLY worth the money?

Edit: Please don't misunderstand me, i think the game is great, but the only thing that's "worth the money" is the woman, the mortgage, and the utilities (no car payment).

------------------
    "You have offended my family, and you have offended a Shaolin temple."

[This message has been edited by Lord Aeon (edited 08-30-2001).]
    "You have offended my family, and you have offended a Shaolin temple."

Senior Member Senior Member Erado San's Avatar

Yep. it's worth the cash. Unless you only play MP, then it wouldn't be yet.

SP is excellent. Some quirks I don't like either, but it is much improved.

MP is not good enough yet. It would benefit from a lot of improvements, but mainly Morale and partially the Unit Balancing muck it up. Once this is patched it will be great again.
    A voice from the past is heard in the lands...

Blog Entries

well, I LOVE SHOGUN.....i play since over 10 years computer games, i started with atari, Amiga500, C64 and my first 286 (16 Mhz) hehe

the older guys , im sure can remember, Asteroids...or blockout....

...i played many games, but last year a friend of mine told me about shogun and i said...."ok i want to test it"...

...and i tested it
    i tested it now over 14 month and it is still
    love in the air, hehe

i swear, i never bought a game wich brought me such long time of fun!!!

every cent is woth this game!

i dont play SP, it is too easy, last time i played as the server was down...

the computer is stupid and play very bad...

So i only want to play online, coz there are guys wich are DAMN MUCH BETTER THAN THE PUTER

WHOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO
    yesterday was a great day, after some days i saw my Khan again, and................
    we did a 1v1!!!!!
    i cant rememeber the last 1v1 before this,
    so it was a GREAT DAY!

well guys, i realy hope all come back to old STW, coz MI MP suxs.

..and i will all shogun games buy they will publish in the future,

....IM A SHOGUN LOVER.........

Kocmoc

I got my new MONGOL INVASION ... THE INTRO WAS A BEATIFUL PIECE OF WORK ...of course from AKIRA KUROSAWA and not from EA or CA... grrrr... WTF they think we r? IDIOTS?...
    ALL THE MOVIES are only playing sequences in different order... NOBUNAGA, TAKEDA etc...

ONLY AN EDITION GAME!...

BAD VERY BAD EA!... we can see taht u didnt put all ur effort in the expansion...

for other side only new units andd bigger maps make me happy but u can make better things u r a BIG COMPANY ... maybe u need to think about the players and not about CLIENTS and MONEY!

SKULL XIII

------------------
    "It's better to let the enemy alive as to kill it ... To TORTURE it!"
    It's better to let the enemy alive as to kill it ... To TORTURE it

The expansion is a bargain and worth every penny.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Kocmoc mate...the Q´s was is the Add-on worth the money

I can only agree with your post about Shogun...it beats the MI !!!

------------------
    May the honour be with you all..........EuroSan the reborned spirit of LinkSan
    May the honour be with you all..........EuroSan the reborned spirit of LinkSan

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

I've been playing the MI for almost 3 weeks now,and I think the SP campaign's are great.The new diplomacy and special units changes have definitely improved the game.The AI plays much smarter tactically and doesn't deficit spend.The enemy Daimyo's don't suicide attack you as in the original STW,they will port attack you if your not careful too.I haven't tried the multiplayer yet,and I will wait till they fix the morale problems with it before I do.All in all,for me it was well worth the money.A lot of my other games are either collecting dust or being used as drink coasters.This is the best game I own,no contest.

------------------
    Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell so that they look forward to making the trip.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

I think it's great, it's added many different times to start and lots of multiplayer games, and some of the new units are great (Battlefield ninjas and Kensi sword saint). However the bomber is useless, they only come in small groups and theire range is so limited that as soon as they're close enough to attack, they can be killed with pikes. A few cavalry can decimate them.

Definitly worth the money
    ROFL..Zone does not rest [MIZILUS]
    I don't play to win... I play not to lose ;)
    Thx whoever made the smilies work :D but now they don't again...
    1BC Civ3 forums

Well.
    Ive had it two days now
    almost won my first campaign (as Shimazu, but on normal setting so not too much of a challenge)
    MP - only played friendly but have noticed running is rare, although opponents units have all run

All in all, I think the new units are cool - (even though i dont know how to use 'em effectively yet), i like the added sp details (such as being able to fill a unit up to 60 instead of having two depleted ones, and having each general have his own little star filled banner)
    So for single player the game is worth the moola.
    Mp, well i havent played too much MI online yet - coz i feel most of the good players wait for the patch which makes the chat room a little quiet.
    so the answer to the Q is that i feel it was worth the money yeah. Especially if either you play sp a lot, or you havent spent so much time playing original stw online.
    I think that the total war series could soon be overtaking championship manager in terms of hours(days) of my life.

------------------
    PUUUUSSSSSIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE POOOOWWWWWEEEEEERRRRRRRR!!!
    PUUUUSSSSSIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE POOOOWWWWWEEEEEERRRRRRRR!!!

At the moment, I don't believe that the the game is worth the cost. Having said that, I have some faith that my opinion will change after the patch.

The SP strategic game is where the best improvements have happened and they are welcome improvements in most respects. I particularly like the added Sengoku scenarios. While I have not been the biggest fan of the strategic game in its general concept, the new version is definitely superior to the original version. I could better accept the flawed concepts behind the strategic game if it actually was a multi-player game serving as a scenario generator for MP tactical games. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we will see this in the patch. If you are already primarily a fan of the SP strategic game then the WE/MI is probably a worthwhile purchase.

The tactical game is broken at the moment but I expect that it will be fixed in the patch. Anyone who believes that the WE/MI tactical game works at this time does not know enough about warfare in even the most general sense. I actually thought the casualty rates in the original STW were a too high, but now that the morale system is broken, they are way too high. The battlefield morale system is what distinguished the original Shogun: Total War from most so-called tactical computer war games. Until that is hopefully fixed in the patch, that distinction is missing for WE/MI.

The Mongol units are interesting but the thunder bombers, kensai, and battlefield ninja are most charitably described as cute but silly. While I admit to occasionally using them as a guilty pleasure, I would rather have seen some more realistic units.

Having the good fortune of finding STW by chance,I was able to borrow it from a friend at work,simply because he lacked a decent computer to handle it.
    Also with the info I aquired from this forum about the MI being released with patches to fix the old,I waited and dished out $49.00 bucks Canadian.Yea,so for me it was a good buy.
    I hope though that Crusaders is a one shot deal,and that they can get most of it right the first time.

The history of the world is much to large,waiting for add ons.

---------------------------------------------

'Eat your weakest man'
    TeuTonic
    PIV 2.4
    512 RD1066
    Gigabyte G-8IHXP Mombo
    G4 TI4600
    Audigy Gamer
    Western Digital 80gb HD/8meg cach
    Samsung 19 SyncMaster 950p
    Stransky-Grab your MP-40 and I'll take you where the Iron crosses grow row on row.
    Steiner...

Is it worth the money?

Well in the UK that's bit of an difficult question to answer.

In EB I purchased the expansion for £14.99 which is about the standard price for an expansion pack and I would say that at that price its worth the money. Especaiily as I had been saving my reward voucher since Xmas waiting for it to hit the shelves.

But in some stores (Woolworths for instance) its being sold for £29.99 which is the price I normally expect to pay for a full game.

So, if you are in the UK shop around.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis