Thread: Newbie Q\'s

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Just picked up STW:WE a few days ago, having had no experience with the original STW. Been having a blast playing my first campaign as Shimazu, but ran into a couple things that made me a bit confused:

1) Mine complexes, until I read the existing discussion on here of them.

2) Capturing provinces with buildings in progress, and facilities existing without castles: early on, I captured a rebel province with a small castle in it. I built a Spear Dojo, and when it was complete, I went to train troops there and discovered that in addition to Yari Ashigaru and Samurai, I could also train No-Dachi and Kensai. I looked at the province, and somehow a Legendary Sword Dojo had appeared there. I've also encountered a Tranquil Garden in a province with no castle, and I've had a number of buildings be completed in provinces which I captured while the buildings were under construction. (I think that's what happened with the Legendary Sword Dojo.) So are these features or bugs?

3) Sudden loyalty drops: I made treaty with the Portuguese when they arrived in 1542, and converted to Catholicism. Several years later (1547?), all of a sudden every province I had went from green to red in the loyalty display, and in the course of two seasons I had three loyalist uprisings in recently captured Imagawa provinces, one in a former Mori province I'd held for several years, and about 6 Ikko-ikki uprisings in provinces I'd held for a decade or more. It seems like these were probably related to my conversion to Christianity, but why did it take five years for there to be a sudden sharp reaction?

Thanks, all.

Dixie

Member Member KumaRatta Yamamoto's Avatar

1) Mine complexes: you have to build a fortress in your province before you can build a mine complexe. They double your mine koku output.

2) Capturing provinces with buildings in progress. So are these features or bugs? I have seen the same thing also, always when i conquer a province early in the game. I don't know if it is a bug or a feature. I know that this never happened in my SP games with the original Shogun. Maybe someone else can help us on that minor point.

3) Sudden loyalty drops: A conquered province can stay loyal to it's former Daimyo up to 5 years (20 turns). You should use garrisons, shinobi, border forts and farm upgrades. Don't forget the AI can always send shinobi in your province to provoke a rebellion, so protect yourself. If it was a Budhist revolt, you should send in priests in your recently conquered provinces, to convert the population

KumaRatta Yamamoto Sonkei soshite yuki Ratta Ichizoku. Come and visit us : www.rattaclan.homestead.com

Thanks for the reply -- re: #3, I'd dealt with some restive provinces earlier in the game, but the weird thing here is that every province I owned went red in the space of one season (which is when the revolts started). It does seem like a reaction to my conversion to Catholicism, but I couldn't figure out why it was delayed so long.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

1. as a side note, most people feel mine complexes are a not worth the expense and time it takes to get to them.
    2. hmmm..i dunno about that one.
    3. converting to christianity tends to cause some drops in loyalty in every province. these can be worse in provinces that have buddhist temples (expect major drops) as well as provinces that have been under control for less than 5 years or previosuly held buddhist structures. if you're a christian daimyo and you conquer a castle with a temple structure, it's best to destroy it.

Quote Originally posted by solypsist:
    ...if you're a christian daimyo and you conquer a castle with a temple structure, it's best to destroy it...[/QUOTE]

Generally yes
    but if you have numerous priests and a sizeable army in the province it can be better to keep the temple and build a church in the province while retaining the ability to build monks. just make sure that christianity levels hit 100% quickly or the monks may well turn against you...

Member Member KumaRatta Yamamoto's Avatar

Soly, yeah in the original STW i did not build mine complexes because of the time (need a fortress) and $, unless i was building a fortress in that province in any case.

But in MI the building time is shorter and the koku investment less, so now i build them
    if i play an western clan like mori who needs the koku.
    KumaRatta Yamamoto Sonkei soshite yuki Ratta Ichizoku. Come and visit us : www.rattaclan.homestead.com

So when is it best to go Christian, I had taken over half of Japan with Clan Oda, had warrior Monks in the armies I had, but built a Church in one of the Oda provinces, Ida I think, and hey presto..half my provinces were in revolt, it spread like wildfire and the shinobi were useless.

So how do you go about turning Christian and keeping a lid on the revolts?
    An uncertain, wavering...

Mudge.

Quote Originally posted by solypsist:
    1. as a side note, most people feel mine complexes are a not worth the expense and time it takes to get to them. .
    [/QUOTE]

Even in the original STW, gold mine complex is still one of the best investment ever.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

The Breath of God Member Divine Wind's Avatar

I agree
    "To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War