Thread: Splitting Units?

Is it possible (STW) to split portions of units into other units?

I find that I tend to end up with multiple units that are below strength, but I can't merge them because they are not enough below strength to accept a merge with another unit.

For instance, (with 60men units) you have 3 units of SA's at strengths 40, 40, 40. I can't merge two groups together because that would exceed the 60man unit, however if I could split one group into the other two, then I would end up with two full strength units.

DB
    (o)

Wait until they run, they are easier to kill that way.

Southpaw Samurai Member Ii Naomasa's Avatar

Unfortunately, you cannot split units, nor merge units in any way if their total number is greater than the max number of troops available in the original Shogun: Total War.

This was one of the major complaints of players and was one of the issues resolved with the release of the Mongol Invasion pack and the Warlord Edition. In the newer version, you can merge any number of troops together, and the extra troops will be left over in their own group.

You still can't split up units (aside from playing games and merging a unit with another unit that has just the number you want to have left over. Of course, there's little reason to split troops if you can merge them easily now.

Hope this helps.
    Naomasa Ii
    Vices & Virtues:
    Verbal Diarrhea: This general can't ever say or write anything in less than three paragraphs. Can't even yell 'Charge' without a soliloquy. -3 to command.

Quote Originally posted by Ii Naomasa:

You still can't split up units ( Of course, there's little reason to split troops if you can merge them easily now.

Hope this helps.
    [/QUOTE]

I think there is a reason for that.

Because splitting up units can easily be abused.

Suppose I have one unit with every upgrade possible, then I can use it as the "seed" troop to upgrade all other troops of the same type INSTANTLY. All I need to do is to split it into, say 60 1-man unit, then merge at will.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

well, the "seed" method might sound like a good idea, but doesn't work since STW uses a system of averages when determining upgrades. for example, combine a 10 monks with upgraded weapons with 50 monks with none: you'll lose the weapons upgrade for the unit. although your 10 monks will still have their own individual weapons bonuses, it doesn't transfer to the rest of the unit.

So basically I guess if I want the improved unit merging, I need to buy the expansion.

db
    (o)

Wait until they run, they are easier to kill that way.

Quote Originally posted by solypsist:
    well, the "seed" method might sound like a good idea, but doesn't work since STW uses a system of averages when determining upgrades. for example, combine a 10 monks with upgraded weapons with 50 monks with none: you'll lose the weapons upgrade for the unit. although your 10 monks will still have their own individual weapons bonuses, it doesn't transfer to the rest of the unit.[/QUOTE]

I thought weapon upgrades is NOT counted as soldier by soldier basis, while honor is.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

You're right, weapon/armor upgrades always affect the entire unit. A merged unit (all troops in it) always has the weapon/armor status of the unit on which you dropped the other unit. The "seed" method probably would work.
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

okay them i probably missed something. my own reply stems from experiences stacking armored troops (bronze shield) with famously armored troops (silver shield). the unit usually ends up with a bronze shield. i haven't kept a close enough to eye on weapons upgrades in STW:WE to see, but was basing my answer off the original STW.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

To combine units of differing upgrades/men per unit do this:
    1.Hit Esc button to bring up menu
    2.Click performance and move the men per unit slider at the bottom of the screen to 120.Of course if your playing 120 men per unit you can skip this step.
    3.Go back to your game and combine your partial units in this order.
    a.Take the unit with the lowest upgrade of weapon/armor and drop it on the unit with the highest upgrade,for example drop bronze armor on gold armor = a recombined unit with all gold armor.If you do it in reverse you will have all bronze armor instead.This works the same way with the sword upgrade.
    4.After combining your units go back to the men per unit slider and put it back to where you had it originally before you continue your game.
    Hope this helps.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*