Thread: Question about STW heir assignment

I would like to know if there is a way you can change the army automatically assigned to a heir? Im playing Uesugi and my son is the taisho of a ashigaru horde, witch I find is not very suitable for a daymios son.
    "A dagger in the night is worth a hundred swords at dawn."

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

unfortunately, once an heir is assigned to a unit, he stays there until he becomes the daimyo (and then he gets the heavy cav).

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

I would suggest that you check the parchment that shows your heirs.This will show his age.
    When he becomes 16 he will take command of the next unit you train,no matter what that unit is.It would be wise to save the game each season at this point and only train units that you find desireable to be led by an heir.By saving the game each season you can always reload and change the unit if you make a mistake.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Thus, it pays to look carefully at what unit you place your heir in. He is always automatically assigned to the first unit you complete after his coming of age.
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Thank you for all these answers. I am very pleased.

And assigning him to an Archer unit is not that great an idea since they are targets immediatly and are so easy to run over with Cav. YC are probably pretty good bets since they are fast enough to escape dangerous situations and are only really used to massacre fleeing troops. WM, ND, N are not too bad either, but their propensity for severe melee combat may mean the end of your heir before the end of your daimyo! Never a good idea.

------------------
    The Fuh (:
    The Fuh (:

Quote Originally posted by Hosakawa Tito:
    I would suggest that you check the parchment that shows your heirs.This will show his age.
    When he becomes 16 he will take command of the next unit you train,no matter what that unit is.It would be wise to save the game each season at this point and only train units that you find desireable to be led by an heir.By saving the game each season you can always reload and change the unit if you make a mistake.
    [/QUOTE]

Unless you are playing the expansion I don't agree. Don't you have certian units that the heir has to use?

------------------

White Wolf Clan.html[/url]
    I will be Baron of the world.

Archer units arent all that bad as Generals imo,just be careful with them and leave um in skirmish mode

I find assigning the heir to any cavalry unit is the best. I prefer YC. That way you can move him around quickly, hunting down routing enemys to gain some honour.

I like to have them as very highly upgraded YC or sometime NoD. Depending on what my armies are made up of.
    ROFL..Zone does not rest [MIZILUS]
    I don't play to win... I play not to lose ;)
    Thx whoever made the smilies work :D but now they don't again...
    1BC Civ3 forums

Brown Wolf,I'm not sure what you mean by "certain units that your heir has to use"?
    Any units that you are able to train at the time your heir comes of age are eligible to be led by that heir.Since playing the expansion I have never had a Battlefield Ninja or Kensai heir,but it should be possible.If you mean at the beginning of the game an heir has already come of age and is leading a unit before the game has started, then I agree with you.

[This message has been edited by Hosakawa Tito (edited 09-17-2001).]
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

UHM - no you cannot have an heir that is a kensai or ninja... any others are viable as long as they are war units.

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "A mind is a terrible thing to taste."
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"

Well Skkzarg,I guess that's why I've never seen it then lol