Thread: help!!!!!

im not that good at the campaing section of the game whenever i do it i get so frusterated i quit plzzzzzz help i usally play shimazu because of locacion

I am not that great with the Shims myself, but eliminate the Imagawa, get a treaty with Mori, take Kyushu (at least I think that's the little island), kill Mori, kill Oda, kill Hojo. (But that it were that simple right?)

I prefer the Takeda clan myself. If you do play with them in the SJ full game, strip the western provinces and hammer the Hojos (take Musashi 2nd turn). Then try and kill their Daimyo and they will fall, signing treaties along the way. If you can get all the Hojo lands, you will be very wealthy and in position to take all of the eastern half. You do that you can swamp the Oda, Mori and Shimazu.

------------------
    The Fuh (:
    The Fuh (:

If yer haven a little problem,try Hojo,he's situated in some of the best fertal land in all Japan.Also his strategic position is good for starters.You'll grasp it. I'm not the best little Diamyo myself.

TeuTonic
    PIV 2.4
    512 RD1066
    Gigabyte G-8IHXP Mombo
    G4 TI4600
    Audigy Gamer
    Western Digital 80gb HD/8meg cach
    Samsung 19 SyncMaster 950p
    Stransky-Grab your MP-40 and I'll take you where the Iron crosses grow row on row.
    Steiner...

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Check out the strategy archives on this site,they should be of some help.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

also, make sure you've had plenty of practice with small custom battles before taking on the campaign. the sometimes strange combinations of campaign armies can be difficult to use if you're not familiar with the ins and outs of troop strengths/weaknesses. and most of all, don't give up! we all were new to this game at one time.

IMO lord of water it comes down to building the right stuff at the right time, ie use your clans units that it gets cheap, ie i usually play as takeda there for i roll over japan with lots of naginta cavalry, use shinbi put 5 or 6 in lightly guarded enemy provinces they will cause a rebellion each turn, if you can get geisha your laughing target heirs and daimio even of allies, also u can bribe bribe armies using your emissary, very expensive so try to bribe ronin theyre alot cheaper to bribe.

try to get your main spear dojo or horse dojo on lands with armories, i wouldent bother about an armory for your archer dojo, accept as many alliances as you can, but always look to expand, also look for oppertunites to get your borders down to 3 or 4 territories highland or river this way you can create an impenitrible wall to your lands while you build your forces, launch decoy attacks ie send just one unit to attack a province then hit the one next to it with your main force.

Dont have too much time so ill leave it there good luck!

Swoooooooooooooooooosh

Fear the Wolves

[This message has been edited by Swoosh So (edited 09-16-2001).]

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Here i go again :-) using your generals wisely is paramount, the honor of troops is very important and a general can raise this, make sure you dont have 2 or 3 good generals in the 1 army, just the one is fine, Also try to make your highest koku provinces have 100% farm upgrades, also building mines where you can, target provinces not just for the sake of it look at their value, the ai may have upgraded a province so much that its a total gem, use the port attacks to get in behind an enemy they usually have their provinces lightly guarded that arent in direct contact with enemy provinces, u can attack by sea by moving a shinobi/emissary/ninja or geisha through your port to and enemies then next turn you can attack from that port to the enemy province, if u start on the north of japan take the island fortify it at the 2 points where enemy can attack you, then use port attacks on hojo fertile lands, also take the ronin island to the south as soon as u can, tosa province etc, and you will soon be the biggest fattest daimio in all japan :-)

Swooooooooooooosh

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

another question i went dhristan onece and the monk riots kiled me is it worth it?

I personally don't find it worth while praising Jesus in STW,unless I want to biuld a geisha house.
    Don't biuld a church in the same province where you have a Budist temple.
    Biuld a church in another province if your trying to get the Geisha house.
    Don't forget,no temple,no warrior monks,you definatly want these fanatical fellas in your arsinal.

TeuTonic
    PIV 2.4
    512 RD1066
    Gigabyte G-8IHXP Mombo
    G4 TI4600
    Audigy Gamer
    Stransky-Grab your MP-40 and I'll take you where the Iron crosses grow row on row.
    Steiner...

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

What are you on about Clink, you don't need churches for Geisha houses, *just* legendary Tea house, the infamous ninja house and a tea garden...

------------------
    Oderint dum metuant
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

Clink:
    I second that. Make sure you build a church in the same provinces with temple if possible. Otherwise station several priests in that province.

The neighboring provinces need attetion too as temples will have impact on them as well.
    ------------------------------

Swoosh So:

Actually I put armors on everything. Including archers. Of course I agree that archers are really easy to update (no use for weapon updates and it's easy to build legendary archer dojo), and sometimes armors aren't really necessory if you can recruit them em masse (thus that little extra casualty won't bother you much).
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

oops...I stand corrected
    All this time ,I,v been doing it wrong.

TeuTonic
    PIV 2.4
    512 RD1066
    Gigabyte G-8IHXP Mombo
    G4 TI4600
    Audigy Gamer
    Steiner...

HEY WAIT A MINUTE!!

In the old STW,didn't you need a church to build a Geisha house?

TeuTonic
    PIV 2.4
    512 RD1066
    Gigabyte G-8IHXP Mombo
    G4 TI4600
    Audigy Gamer
    Steiner...

don't weapon upgrades improve your archers/handgunners ranged weapons? I had a unit of musketeers with 3 weapon upgrades and in one volley almost every man in the unit killed an enemy.

Clink,
    You did not need a church to build a Geisha house. What was said above is true.
    With the new MI you need a tea garden as well as what was required with the previous version.
    As Shimazu it depends on which year you are starting as to what you do. But generally you must expand quickly to get your Koku up and at the beginning because of your quick expansion you need shinobi. You really need to expand quickly to get the ronin island and as far down Mori's little bit as possible.
    It is also a good idea to make alliances - you never know occasionally someone dies and you get some of their land. Shimazu is good in that in that every other Daimyo sends his emissary to you. I have noticed that in the case of Oda they never stop at my Daimyo?? When I do get some land in my case it is always some useless province with no troops totally surrounded by a very good ally and after getting crapped on I have to go and make another alliance!!!!

Doh...

Excuse me while I head out side to find a sand box.

TeuTonic
    PIV 2.4
    512 RD1066
    Gigabyte G-8IHXP Mombo
    G4 TI4600
    Audigy Gamer
    Steiner...

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by kain:
    don't weapon upgrades improve your archers/handgunners ranged weapons? I had a unit of musketeers with 3 weapon upgrades and in one volley almost every man in the unit killed an enemy.[/QUOTE]
    The weapon upgrade(swordsmith) applies to hth attack bonus only.Gun units are your worst melee units,so this bonus is wasted on them.However,increased honor does make missile units more accurate.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Kiwi's observations on Shimazu are interesting. Personally I rarely bother with any "dark side" units at all. I only build armies (or invest in castles, farms, mines, ports etc). If I'm attacking and taking several areas I drop the tax rate to the lowest to stop the rebellions. I've played with lots of Shinobi and they have their uses but it's so tedious moving them all over the map!
    I've played about 10 campaigns or so and I've only ever seen one Geisha which the Ronin were using against me during the final 3 or 4 turns as Shimazu mopped up the final areas. I simply moved my Daimyo out of harms way and carried on to victory (minus one or two generals who became Geisha fodder)
    The main advantage I've found as Shimazu is that by the time I get to the Monk-ridden provinces in the centre of the map, Oda or Mori or others have already wiped these out, so progress is easier here. That's why I find it more fun to play Hojo and come up against the Monk-ey boys in places like Kaga which are a challenge to take.

ReturnOfTheJordi.
    You are doing better than me - as Hojo I have never made it to the Monks before Oda or Mori have done the work for me.

Repeat after me - I must be more agressive!!!!!!! Or I am going to read Maltz stories again. That always shows me how to be more agressive.

As far as Shinobi are concerned I never used them originally - and I agree with your comment on moving them around - but, used correctly they are great ninja killers and can be a lot of fun if your opponents take a province and you send in a few of them; instant revolt.
    If you incite a revolt in an area where there was a previous Daimyo - who is dead - you can get a clan come back to life. Pretty good really.

I played a game recently (as Hojo) where I made a conscious decision not to attack after my initial conquests to get rid of Uesugi, and secure behind two river provinces. Then I simply incited rebellions and with my income I was able to buy the rebels. A lot of fun to try it a different way.

Live and learn.