Thread: Just what is wrong with the X-Pack?

What is wrong with it? I still have not gotten over how much better the graphics look now that I can use my 3D card with it, but I have noticed no massive problems other then balence issues with the Mongol Cav (2000-150 kill counts are kind of hard to swallow). As I posted in the Morale thread, I don't really see the difference between the new and old.

And please, when you guys respond, no tirades.

------------------
    The Fuh (:
    The Fuh (:

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

AFAIK, nothing is so wrong that it's not worth getting. a few glitches and probs (reinforcements, naginata pixel, etc.) but really a decent game. it's too bad Hach decided to un-install his STW:WE and go back to the old one until a patch is released; good thing he's not holding his breath instead...

It's difficult to spot the difference in morale, you have to had played STW a lot.

In MI, the troops rout much less, and flanking and tactics is blatantly useless - to a certain point. Therefore rush armies are encouraged (all damn ashis and guns!) and it's boring, boring!

Tera

------------------
    Visit my resource centre here!
    Evil is within us...

Believe me, Fuh-san, you're not the only one asking that question.

No, seriously. The morale problem is of very little consequence in SP. Most of the other gripes people have is what existed previously, but has not been fixed.

And I hear the gun model is inferior - that too.
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Senior Member Senior Member NinjaKilla's Avatar

Quite simply it's too fast.

Blog Entries

at least, the armysetups will look all same!!
    coz there isnt any different tactics as ashis and guns....in old stw u can use arcehrs, cav...more spears and so on...

i saw many different armysetups and i lost to
    the most of them...

so, if ur good u can win with near every setup, badly only in old stw...

flanking is important, went into the back of enemy, circle him....overwight....this is real "war"...u can use all the instrument to ensure the victory.....

...and important...u can still win with a smaller army...ucan win 1v2....its hard...but possible...

Thatsy i LOVE THIS GAME...u lost if ur last men is dead!!!!!!!

..look at MI....tztztztztztztz....
    i can only say...its boring...

kocmoc

Yes Koc, sadly yes.
    There are differences between MI and STW.

Example: In STW if an honour9 nag is surrounded by 4 ashis he would lose due to the morale effects of surrounding and flanking,

In MI, that honour9 nag would never lose - because simply flanking is useless and it's like the 4 ashis are frontally attacking.

MI is all guns and ashis army, and it's the game of the rushers, helped by the fast pace of the game and by the absence of morale defiences.

What the heck - in MI the best army wins, not the best general.

Tera

------------------
    Visit my resource centre here!
    Evil is within us...

Humph. That is truly too bad, but I guess I don't see it in the single player. I don't like online and I lack the space on my little laptop to install both.

But I still love them Mongol Cav!!!

------------------
    The Fuh (:
    The Fuh (:

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

Also not mentioned also are the facts that with the new game in single player:

1. Reinforcements are almost uncontrollable now. They will come from all over the map, and even behind the opposition's lines. All of this at totally random times.

2. Death of a Daimyo will result in a revolt in every province that you do not have at least three units of troops stationed in. It does not matter how long you have held the province or the how high the population loyalty was prior to the Daimyo's death. It will also even happen in your home provinces, which happens to be where the successor to your Diamyo is going to appear. I do not use my Diamyo as much now because of this.

------------------
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

[This message has been edited by Forward Observer (edited 09-18-2001).]
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

the death of the daimyo rebellions aren't nearly as predictible now. I've lost a few here and there, mostly to old age, and not had any rebellions. at least, as often as i've had some, i've had none and the inheritor just pops up.
    the new birth chart (not really new, but new to me) has helped in getting heirs assigned to good units, so no more ashi or musket heirs.