Thread: awsome battle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just hasd the best battle on tutorial 1 map i put the computer on normal and random units and both sides got 999999 koku and my men streamed out of the castle and the melee lasted about 20 mins the melee basicalyy was nags and no dachi and a unit or two of monks i won because i flanked the whole thing with hc and the archer/muskets were in a huge melee to!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member Senior Member Rath's Avatar

Heh you're reminding me of how i used to feel when i first got the game m8...glad to see you're enjoying it

edited a typo

[This message has been edited by Rath (edited 09-16-2001).]

Sometimes when you just want to unwind, you set up a huge battle, Set all your units to attack, sit back and watch. With a large monitor it can be quite a sight.

------------------
    Fight first, ask questions later.
    ROFL..Zone does not rest [MIZILUS]
    I don't play to win... I play not to lose ;)
    Thx whoever made the smilies work :D but now they don't again...
    1BC Civ3 forums

Very cool! I had my own richly satisfying experience just yesterday. I took the "cheap-old-non-upgrade" troops into Nagato with a pretty fair general to wear down the Mongols. I was expecting to lose or at most gain a phyrric victory given the huge amount of Mongol heavy cav, but I whupped-um good! They had 1 light & 5 heavy cav and about 3 good spear units with a thunder bomber. I had slightly more troops: 6 yari-sam, 2 archer & 1 yari-cav, 1 Cav archer, 1 No Dachi.

Hee hee, this was so cool! I baited the Mongol HC into the woods to where my YS waited in ambush. For some reason their HC was completely apart from the other troops. They saw my archers marching into the woods to harrass them, and all 300 of them made a reckless charge resulting in a woodland slaughter that claimed about 280 MHC losses and about 120 for me. A coulple YS held the brunt of their assault whilst the ND and other YS flanked & back attacked them. Wooooo Hoooooo!

After that, the other 5 Mongol units were easily dispatched with only another 35 or so losses. This was thus far my favorite Mongol encounter!

Very satisfying My favourite (I can't remmeber all the units) Was a large battle with two high honour generals which was so close that both sides kept routing but the AI routed first and it kept going 1 then the other so I prevailed by the end.

------------------
    1BC Civ3 forums

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

My most 'satisfying' battle... I took 16 sanda bomas and attacked Shinano. The defender was sitting on his hill, so I put the bomas into wedgies and ordered them to charge uphill. Right before the crest, I ordered a full salvo. Well... the bomas flew towards the enemy and rolled right back into my men!!! 3 volleys later, I had only 5 men left, and I had yet to face off with the enemy. And, to make matters worse, the enemy used an all-YS army -- no archers or crossbows of any kind!

Needless to say, my Taisho in that battle was praying to the wrong Porcelain god...

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

I find that quite amusing ! At least you've learnt what to do next time

------------------
    1BC Civ3 forums

I'd played probably hundreds of 'simulated' battles (custom) but so far one of the most memorable ones were between me (uesugi) and shimazu in one of the expert SP campaigns.

The battle was extremely challenging because of the conditions :

1) I made it a point to make sure that the enemy taisho survives the battle. He usually appears as the 1st wave and I could not afford to let him die because he had no heirs and I did not want my campaign to end prematurely.

2) the ratio between the enemies and I were 2.5: 1. Both sides had a pretty sophisticated army. Shimazu had disproportiantely more cavalry archers and high honour no-daichi, while I'd my archers, warrior monks and naginata cavalry.

3) The reinforcement (bug) was naturally against me..since I expect to win the 1st wave and by that time, my troops would be tired and I would not get any reinformcements until 8 of my battalions withdraw from battle.

The scenario : MINO. I had 3000+ troops while shimazu had 7000+ together with their taisho.

Opening battle : I lined up 2 battalions of archers on the left side of the map on top of a steep cliff, together with 2 naginata cavalry, one of which commands the top of highest point.

My land troops, (warrior monks) and 1 archer unit, together with another musketeer unit was on the right side of the map, on a plateau.

One more battalion of naginata cavalry and warrior monk took the middle pass.

The battle starts and I immediately rushed my archers (in high land positions) to the edge of the cliff/plateau and rained arrows on the sea of enemy no-daichi, archers and monks. Their cavalry units started to line up on the cliff to try to take out my naginata. Even before they could line up in a comfortable battle formations, my archers have already taken out at least 400 enemy troops. As their no-daichi and cavalry archers rushed the cliff, I withdrew my archers into the plateau while my two naginata cavalry rushed them from the top of the cliff. My warrior monks and another naginata Cavalry rushed the middle. In the wake of all these attacks, The taisho, positioned in the plateau together with 2 more cavalry units and 2 nodaichi were met with my masses of warrior monks. As their army started to fight a pitched hand to hand battle, I had to be very careful for my warrior monks to attempt to take out the taishos guards but at the same time allow space between him and the edge of the enemy map to be clear so that he can withdraw. Ordering a naginata to charge him would mean that the battle/campaign would be over. He was a rank 5 general and therefore his troops fought a brave battle.

When enemy reinforcements arrived, I'd already killed 1000 of his men while my casualties were only 50. The enemy taisho had withdrawn from the map. This was when the real challenge begins.

Enemy reinforcements started appearing from all edges of the map. While my tired NC were being recalled, I decided to centralise my troops in a key point (rather than chasing them around and risking a rout on my parts of the enemy) I took them all to the plains, with my musketeers lined up at the edge facing the front where the original enemy came.

Waves after waves of attacks ensued with me defending the crests of the plateau on all fronts. I'd probably fended off at least 10 battalions of nodaichis and my casualities were mounting. There was once when two battalions of the red devils overran my garrison and my naginata cavalry was in near-exhaustion. Making a desperate gamble I sent 2 of my cavalry to chase after the routing no-daichis while I immediately withdrew my 4 archers and other straggled units (i withdrew 6 to make sure reinforcements appear) while I ordered my general and my other warrior monks ( in total probably only 500 tired men left.) As they climbed towards the high point of the plateau, I withdrew the 2 nagainta cavalry (who was chasing the no-daichi to the edge of the map) to withdraw, to make myself eligible for reinformcements.. and guess what, THEY DIDN'T COME until 20 minutes later.

As my defences started to break under the wrath of the no-daichi swords, even my taisho was fighting a bloodied battle with his guards down to 15 men, my reinforcements came - 8 battalions of naginata and 4 samurai archers. And the rest was history.

All in all I lost 1350 men while the computer lost 4000...in the end my naginata cavalry was just way too tired to run after the easily routed troops..

Quite an epic! Must have taken almost as long to recount as to play

------------------
    1BC Civ3 forums