Thread: Most annoying battle

What's your most annoying battle? reenforcement issue aside.

I just had one against the AI where it had 16 units but they were all < 20 men, most had 2/3 men. At the start of the battle there were about 5 units in a group but the rest were spread out all over the map hiding in the forests. I ended up having to chase units all over the place but I ran out of time. Luckily I was able to bring in some YC for the second attempt on the province but I still had to chase units all over the place and only just made it in the time limit.

Yes, I could have just bribed the army but I wanted my general to gain honour. I thought it would be a quick easy battle.

Also, do you lose honour if you run out of time?
    Like a wooden man facing flowers and birds.

Yeah, those are pretty rough. You should try that after taking a Hojo hoard river province. Theres nothing more pathetic than watching 4 Ashis attempt a crossing. Whats worse is when you finally do ice all those depleted units, you usually have to cope with a slew of fresh archers when yours are dry.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

the most annoying are these:
    1. I don't win them!
    2. my troops start to flee for no real reason, without the rout bug. I learned the hard way that combat with the Mongols will result in my Hojo army turning and running just seconds into meeting the enemy, and I'm winning the fight!
    3. I chase the enemy off the field, vut enemy reinforcements show up: and they're all Cavalry Archers and I have no Cav. Always big fun.
    4. The enemy has a full banner of all archer units.

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Most annoying...

Shimazu vs Tokugawa in 1580 campaign. That pig has a pile of bninjas in Hizen. I, like an idiot, attack with lots of guns and archers, with 1 ND, 2 YS and 1 YC to hold off the enemy pig-dogs.

Well... those little pijama-mamas chewed my infantry up and I lost! Losses were even-steven, so I knew I could come back the next turn and whoop his arse. But, I once again was spoiled by the slumber-party-goers. Third time was a charm, as I invaded with a full 16 unit army that included 8 ND. Those pijama-mamas were quickly dispatched then!

(Needless to say, those pigs had extra honor and weepons, making them a tad nastier...)
    [Sips sake, eats popcorn]

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

lol
    you still a little bitter over that battle, Vanya?

The battles which annoy me the most are those that I win, but lose inordinate amounts of men. At least a loss is a honest loss (and I can justify loading the game ), but getting all your melee troops chewed up because of a tactical mistake involving a hill and 3 MHC, but still winning, is so... frustrating.
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

I too cannot abide winning but taking more then about 1/3rd losses. Escecially as the Mongols since I always take the losses in the Cav and they are so valuable and hard to repair.

------------------
    The Fuh (:
    The Fuh (: