Thread: I sent the booty - but get nothing...

Playing Mongol on Xpert. I have about 4/5ths of the map owned, with a small garrison and border forts in every province so as I dont have to sweat those pesky revolts. Now... granted I used a bit of the plunder to build those towers, but the Kahn still got quite a bit. Yet - now I have stopped getting units from the mainland. I just played 4 years, sending back the pillage every year, never less than 3k every time - and still I get nothing! Anyone seen this before? Its now a war of attrition - and without getting some new units once in a while I am doomed to lose...

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "A mind is a terrible thing to taste."
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

If I were you I wouldn't leave a few units in all your conquered provinces.Leave a small force or two centrally located in your rear to put down any "brushfire" revolts.Take your best army and smash the main Hojo troop training province or provinces.Don't try to hold them,hit each one and destroy the training dojo's.If you can follow up with a smaller force to continue the seige or better yet storm the castle do so.Any territory that you have held for about 5 years or so,should remain loyal to you.You should be able to dismantle some of those towers and borderforts,which should free up some koku.Hit and run is the way to go when playing as the mongols.When there is a revolt in your rear,don't attack the very next season.Wait 2 seasons,when you retake it you will pillage some koku,if you attack immediately after the revolt you don't get anything.I don't know why,but that's the way it seems to work.Hope this helps.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

I have never built a tower yet! A waste of good koku in my opinion.
    Take a province and immediately move on. You get a revolt behind you. Let them take the province - it is usually 80 men. Then the next turn go back with small unit and re-take the province. This way you get extra koku for taking the province back! If you re-take it as soon as the revolt happens you get nothing for the fight.
    Leave a small army back that can jump around putting out bushfires that start. Use shift to see loyalty and after a few years you see a change from red to yellow and then green.
    Then you can move the small unit forward. To where you can use it more effectively.

Don't build towers! The time taken and the koku needed is wasted. As the mongols you must keep moving. Work on a simple principle - if the army is in one province for two turns you are an idiot. I tell myself this regularly And yes occasionally I am an idiot. You MUST be agressive!!!
    Just my thoughts - I hope it helps.

Thanks guys, but your misunderstanding the problem. I know how to beat the japanese - creating a breakout is NOT the problem. If it was I would NOT have as much of the map as I do. As for towers - I have those for 2 reasons - they help keep down rebellions and they kill enemy shinobi/ninja. You may see that as a waste of koku, but since most years in the middle game I was sending 10k+ or more to the Kahn, I don't have a problem there. The question is - has anyone seen a point in time when the Kahn stops sending reinforcements regardless of you sending pillage back?

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    BSM_Skkzarg

Senior Member Senior Member Erado San's Avatar

Haven't seen that happening.

Can you send me one or more savegames from that campaign? I will have a look myself and send them to CA also. If this is bug they can use that data to sort out what causes the problem.

mail them to erado@hetnet.nl

[This message has been edited by Erado San (edited 09-17-2001).]
    A voice from the past is heard in the lands...

I haven't seen your particular problem.How many years into the campaign are you?I'll have to look at my logfiles to find the date I completed my campaign.Maybe at a certain point in time the Kahn stops sending troops and my particular campaign did not last long enough to see it.I don't think I suggested to eliminate all your border forts in your rear areas for the reason you describe.Sorry for the confusion on that.Definitely cover all ports and strategically located provinces with borderforts.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

I just finished my first campaign (against) the Mongols and found that after about seven invasions, I had their sole remaining force bottled up in Nagato. I just left them alone and waited for my dojo upgrades so I could play with the new troop types. I sat around for years just to employ those lovely "legendary everything" troops to counter the newest threat, but no more Mongols came...

I found this curious because I'd bottled up the Mongols in one province before and yet year after year they'd still get huge reinforcements somewhere on the other side of the map.

Erado, the savegame is sent.
    Thanks guys for all your input - I think it may indeed have something to do with the length of time the invasion takes...
    Hopefully we will find out soon.

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    BSM_Skkzarg

Think we will all be interested to see these results

I just checked the logfiles and they don't give the year of the battles in the campaign, so I really don't know or remember how long it took.Dang it,hopefully Erado will have an answer.

The game year is saved at 1296.
    so its been awhile since the first landing.
    BSM_Skkzarg

I believe the campaign starts in 1270-1271 doesn't it?25 years doesn't seem that long when compared to the Sengoku Jidai campaigns.
    Unfortunately I deleted those save games to make space for the historical campaigns I'm playing now.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I will try and play it again and see what year it finishes and perhaps allow it to go on to see what happens? I supppose I could always bottle him up and build border forts around him to stop any ninja getting out.

Can you build border forts as mongols? I have seen the icon for the towers.

Personally I prefer the campaign mode from 1530. Little income to start and the beginning moves are fun.

Kiwi,you can build borderforts as mongols.It is a must in order to keep a lid on the revolts.I thought I'd bump this one up.Hopefully someone can answer Skkzarg's question.

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

I had this happen to me once, but didn't think to report. I even did a test by using the .muchkoku cheat. Khan got all of that booty and I did it for a couple of seasons and still nothing.
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa

I had just conquer ALL Japan except ONE and the Khan send a lot of reinforcements.

Before, I got 640 men in the far left and I must wait 3 years until reach the front line.

I suppose the Khan send the reinforcementes in an irregular basis, but they will arrive sooner or later.

Erado,

Any word on this yet? Thanks!
    Skkz

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    BSM_Skkzarg

Maybe the Khan doesn't know what to do with all the koku. Maybe he wants gold or something. Just joking.

I could totaly be wrong with this, but this is what I'm thinking...

The tribute you pay the Khan is in a sense the amount of koku you spend for reinforcements. I'm sure the Khan takes a cut for himself, but every autumn all your harvests are calculated, then the maintiance of your forces are subtracted, and everything is sent to the Khan. The Khan takes his cut, and buys troops for you to use with the remainder.

My suggestion would be to attack provinces with buildings for the plunder. During the attack let some of those worthless koreans take no hope missions to reduce your maintinance, but still acheive the victory with your other troops.

I would think this would kick start those reinforcements again.

That makes sense. You also pay for the upkeep of your troops. Great idea,Voodoo.

Voodoo,

Its not a question of whether or not the kahn is getting tribute. There is MORE than enough tribute going back to him to at least by a few units - but NONE ever appear. That is the problem. It seems to be related to the date - but no confirmation of that yet.

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    BSM_Skkzarg