Thread: Archer is trees.

Tell me, when archers use trees as cover, are they effective firing out of the forest. I know that they are no where near effective firing in. If someone could let me know, I would appreciate it.

[This message has been edited by Raging Road Rodent (edited 09-26-2001).]

I'm not sure but I think that their effectivity in inflicting casualties diminishes. I noticed that not all the archers are able to shoot... only the ones in the open areas. Or maybe I'm just dreaming.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

i think it works both ways, but not as bad shooting out. tried seeing in custom battles a few times and same honor/ same elevation archers, one in woods, the other outside shooting in. the archers shooting at the enemy outside caused a bit more damage (23 kills and 15 losses).

NO m8. It isn't a good idea to have your archers shooting out of the trees...they may hit a few men but not many. Better to have them just in front of the trees with some yari for backup. If it gets too hairy, have them retreat into the trees. Your hidden yari will then be able to rush out and pick of the remaining troops

------------------
    Watashiwa Yagyu Jubei desu! Ganbate!
    Watashiwa Yagyu Jubei desu Ganbate

It seems that the visuals are used for the arrows, so if your archer is standing behind a tree, the arrow hits the tree and stops. The guy next to him might be able to have an uninterrupted shot, however. Incoming arrows are on the arc, so they are likely to hit the larger "branches" part of the sprite, so you will get some cover, at the cost of some wasted arrows. If you archers are hiding deep in the forest, then they can't effectively shoot at anybody. Here's a case where the arrows aren't mathmematical abstracts, but it actually tracks the arrow sprite in its arc, and if it hits something, then there's your shot!

I agree with Yagyu Jubei: have the archers at the edge of the forest with yaris and no-dachi ready to charge out from under cover. This is especially important to do when fighting against cavalry!

-- B)