Thread: Attacking Castle..

These great fun but hard to pull of any advice?Tried many a time maybe takeing wrong units to do job

------------------
    Shoko Emperor
    Die by the Sword

I like to take my archers and set them up all around the castle if I can. I have them hit the archers of the defending units. I find that if you leave your men in their regular formations the the computer puts them in you see that when you send them to attack, they tend to move off to the side and then attack. I set up my yari or nags in a file of 3 or 4 and put them on the road to the gate. That way they head straight in. As I remember more I will post it.
    Watashiwa Yagyu Jubei desu Ganbate

You want plenty of archers, place them round the castle, not all on one side and with them target the defending archers (any spare arrows once they've gone use on any others). If you're playing MI, Kensi and Battlefield ninjas are great to attack the front gate with. They force the defenders back and you can charge in with a few samuri or cavalry who will cause havoc once they're in. Try and get their general with a kensi or the BN if possible. Then they won't fight so well.

Good luck

------------------
    Fight first, ask questions later.

[This message has been edited by Zone (edited 09-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Zone (edited 09-27-2001).]
    ROFL..Zone does not rest [MIZILUS]
    I don't play to win... I play not to lose ;)
    Thx whoever made the smilies work :D but now they don't again...
    1BC Civ3 forums

Bear in mind that the castle walls WILL stop a lot of your arrows, so you'll get more mileage out of your arrows is you shoot them through the castle gate. Which leads to friendly-fire casualties if you're attacking the gate at the same time.

I, too, set up the nagi's/yari's holding form in the mouth of the gate, but have assault troops (monks, no-dachi) Wedge themselves behind the enemy lines, then Engage at will once they're through the gate. This kind of battle can have routing break you're whole assault, so make sure you have high-honor troops, or at least be organized to pull them out of the breach regularly. When you have a fresh unit charge in, have the tired men try to pull back out onto the plain.

Castle battles are like bridge battles - you either love the challenge, or hate the frustration. Try doing some multiplayer castle games, where the defender agrees to spend less koku than the attacker (to keep it balanced).

Query: Has anyone ever tried to use the Ninja to alter the castle assault? You're supposed to be able to, but honestly I've never tried.

-- B)

"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

you can also send yari or nags to the gate and let them move back once contact has been made. That way you lure out one of the defending units and you can flank and cream them with other units otside the castle.