Thread: cavalery archers (newBie question)

Greetings,
    Wise and experienced generals

This general-to-be has a question about cavalery archers. When I orderd my squad of archers to attack for a hit-and-run kind of tactics, the did not seem to respond. When I use other kind of cavalery, the respond swift and deadly.

Am I doing something wrong?

Greetz
    Tank

------------------
    Luctor et Emergo
    Luctor et Emergo

If you are a newbie avoid CA because you must know how to use them to inflict damage with them. I would suggets having a balanced army for now and when you become more experient you can have CA in your army.
    A tip is not to try to get them to fire against SA or gunmen cause they will be shot to pieces. Try going at the back of the army and kill monks and nd. If the enemy doesn't have cavalry then he is in some serious trouble.

------------------
    Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
    http://lod.fateback.com
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

I think arch cav are necesarry to get a balanced army.

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

You must alt-left click to make them attack. Your pointer will switch to a little sword. Otherwise, if you order an attack while your pointer is a bow, the attack will be a standoff one -- that is, your attack will be showering them with missles, not charging their ranks.

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

Totally agree that CA is a must when fighting in open terrain.. they have much fast mobility than SA, and can take out alot of routed enemy on the run.. Usually I use only lowest possible honour for CA.

------------------
    tootee the toothless warrior
    ------------------
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

Sure, CA is an all-around unit ..
    But wait, let's see...

Low accuracy ...
    Low ammo ...
    Low running speed as calvary ...
    Pathetic h2h fighting power ...
    Mediocre moral ...

Can't win archer duel;
    Can't win in h2h against anyone but the weakest, with the weakest being gunners or SAs who you'll have problem getting close anyway;
    If the AI has calvary you are in serious trouble;
    Otherwise they must have a lot of Ashigaru and/or YS thus you are minced meat one way or anther...
    Useless except for feinting movement;
    But if you feint too much you'll rout ...

CAs are surely all-around, but I'll call them all-around LOSER.

[This message has been edited by Gothmog (edited 09-28-2001).]
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

interesting post gothmog, how do you fare against Maggy in classic STW on a flat map?

Cavalry Archer units are, in my opinion, useless in singular (ie don't just get one).

They require a certain level of skill to operate and more or less useless if used out of context.

They can be devastating when in the right role.

Its a complex question, but I'd avoid CA until you have more knowlege of the game and then experiment with different tactics using them.
    Have you seen the fnords?

MY CAs fire flaming arrows onto the enemy. Add to that the zealot cavalry archers, bean-and-milk-fed warriors bent on dying for Buddha that race into the enemy formations with a flaming arrow during peak flatulence, and you have the makings of the most feared elite fighting force the Samurai have ever faced. They were the first Kamikaze warriors of the world, and are the inspiration of all those hell-bent extremists running amok...

Watching my great khan (Magyarkhan) and my orlok (Kocmoc) i have learned how great these units really are, Mind u in saying that i got along ok without using them to begin with get used to the game movement etc before you go including more than 1 or 2 in an army for they are possibly the hardest units to control at the start.

Swooooooooosh

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Quote Originally posted by Swoosh So:
    Watching my great khan (Magyarkhan) and my orlok (Kocmoc) i have learned how great these units really are, Mind u in saying that i got along ok without using them to begin with get used to the game movement etc before you go including more than 1 or 2 in an army for they are possibly the hardest units to control at the start.

Swooooooooosh
    [/QUOTE]

Hehe, this is exactly what I intended: claim CA to be the lamest unit throughtout the game so that many CA zealots will jump into defending ...

But folks, feed me with more tactics instead of just abstractly saying "they are hard to control, but they rock ...", please ... Yes, I have read about how those can be used to lure out rival units thus to break their formation; how to skirmish them so that they hit and run ... such and such, but I want more ...

[This message has been edited by Gothmog (edited 09-28-2001).]
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

I often use a unit of Ca as my taisho! Laugh if you like. I like to hold them back of my troops keeping them from firing till the last minute. I find them to be good at taking care of the straglers that are left. I also sometimes use them in flanking operations.
    With the new ashi/muskie armies out there, this is not working as well for me in multi.
    I think that the key to using them is that you really have to keep your eye on them. IF you leave them exposed and unattended for a minute they my be hacked to pieces by lowly ashi. I try not to let them get too spread out either...Sometimes it helps to move them about in a wedge. This way they are compact and easier to handle. Then open them up and let them do their thing. They are great gorilla fighters. Hit and run. HIt and run. Then wait in reserve.
    Watashiwa Yagyu Jubei desu Ganbate

OK OK OK... I will release 1 secret...

Here is how to use CA with devastating effect: Line them up into wedgies on the flanks of your formation. Charge the enemy line head-on with gunny wedgies to 'keep them busy' while you flank them and charge into their rear with the CA wedgies. The result is the enemy army will be the dire recipient of one big, massive wedgie. It will hurt like heck, and the enemy taisho will flee from the battlefield like a whipped dog. And any men left alive from his army will be chasing him off the field in a mad race to see who gets lost first.

Hope that helps...

If you want to know how to use AC just practice, almost all of us learned this ourselves by playing. We learned by practice not by someone else telling us what to do.

As i tried to explain cav archers are all about your movement skills, as your micro managing skills get better so will skill with cav arhers.

Swoosh

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Cav units on a whole are the hardest unit to use.I still cant use um as many other players... who are VG, will also tell u the same There's a art in useing...CAV
    Like Swoosh said

------------------
    Shoko Emperor
    Die by the Sword

So...

There is now way that they move automaticaly in when ordering a missile attack?
    shame.

Hit and run seems ideal for CA, except when they have cavunits too.

Tank

------------------
    Luctor et Emergo
    Luctor et Emergo

Is This just a coincidence or is someone taking the piss! I have a feeling it is the latter but I could be wrong. Why I think this is the way he highlighted the b in newbie question. But I have been wrong b4.
    I am great

b4 we start i just want to say "HIYA TANK!" phew, glad that's ova with.

Well, i use my ca as first blood units, to weaken the enemy, they are my sacrificial lambs, and i have found that when you click to fire at 1 unit, other ones come at you and you don't runaway, so i place them in range, then press "fire at will" so they run from ne1 and don't die as easily.

------------------
    Here little Jappie, i'm gonna getcha hahahaha!

What the hell dost thou talk about peasant!?
    Cavalry archers are a must!
    In attacking battles keep your troops in an easily defensable position and send out a unit of CA to flank the enemy. If you can sneak around either charge their SA with melee (you will SLAUGHTER them but remember to pull back before spearmen come) or use the arrows to provoke the spearmen (and otehr troops) into chasing you bck you your main army where you can massacre their unorganised chase. Even in defensive battles CA are an absolute must. Their melee is really not bad, if you only use it against SA its brilliant. And remember these troops are MADE for harassment. Just watch out for Yari and Heavy Cavalry and you are unstoppable.
    At least thats what I think...
    -TK
    -------------------------
    Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra. Suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night the ice weasels come.

Ooh didnt see the rest of your posts, hehe... guess Im jsut repeating stuff....owerr....
    -TK
    -------------------------
    Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra. Suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night the ice weasels come.

Just a thought....I wonder if cavalry archers could ever be modified to shoot on the fly. I know Mongol cavalry did this most of the time. That would take some talented programing.
    TeuTonic
    PIV 2.4
    512 RD1066
    Gigabyte G-8IHXP Mombo
    G4 TI4600
    Audigy Gamer
    Western Digital 80gb HD/8meg cach
    Samsung 19 SyncMaster 950p
    Stransky-Grab your MP-40 and I'll take you where the Iron crosses grow row on row.
    Steiner...

The use of CA depends on your style of play.
    A fast attack requires mostly infantry shock troops. And most people using this tactic don't get CA.

Then there are the balanced guys, who get one, 2 or 3 CA - they usually know how to use them, and do well with them along with a balanced army.

Finally, there are the CA fundamentalists. Guys like Magy have been practising with a lot, and learnt how to use them. Happy them, happy us. Except those who always lose against them.

Personally, I belong to the second group.
    CA are just another unit, mostly underestimated, but in a balanced army - you will always find a slot for one or 2 of these guys.

Tera

------------------
    Honour to Clan Torîi Aku.

Visit my resource centre here!
    Evil is within us...