Thread: One line muskets?!

Well has anyone tried this before. Just one line of them. They must have better accuracy right if they have none infront of them and they shall all fire at the same time.

------------------
    Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
    http://lod.fateback.com
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

They have the same accuracy and rate of fire as if you string them in two lines. Two lines have unobstructed fire - anything more with muskets and the remaining lines will reload while others fire - meaning a higher ROF with lower men firing per volley.
    Qapla!

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "A mind is a terrible thing to taste."
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"

1 line will cause more damage obviouslyt as more will fire (i think!)

------------------

Watch out for that. . . . . Dam too late!. . . the story of my life!

WarlordWarrior
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

1 or 2 lines; dont see a big difference. They fire both at once all ranks. And theyre slowpokes in reloading.

3-men deep rocks!

Tera

------------------
    Honour to Clan Torîi Aku.

Visit my resource centre here!
    Evil is within us...

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

I have to agree with Tera.The increased rate of fire is more important than the kills because of the hit on the enemies morale.The faster they are fired upon,the faster their morale drops.

------------------
    Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to hell so that they look forward to making the trip.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

LOL

------------------

Watch out for that. . . . . Dam too late!. . . the story of my life!

WarlordWarrior
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

Musk in 3 rank and deeper has better morale.. they waver less easily.

------------------
    tootee the toothless warrior (aka goldfish shimazu)
    ------------------
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

Senior Member Senior Member Rath's Avatar

It is however better to have them in 2 ranks in a musket duel as they will usually take less kills which also means they will have more men to fire to kill the enemy...against an infantry or cavalry charge i prefer them in 3 ranks for the quicker volleys and better morale.

If you play me you should deploy your men in a column instead of a line - 2x30 or 3x20 - so that only 4 or 6 men can shoot. This way, you get a machine gun effect as all your guys rotate and fire - its like a gatling gun. This makes all my men get scared and run away.....
    This only seems to work against me. Try it with anyone else and you will get slaughtered....... 8-)
    Just a helpful hint! 8-P
    Qapla!!!!

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "A mind is a terrible thing to taste."
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"

1 line is also harder to maneuver, easier to flank, easier to break during melee.

i use 3 rank formaitons.

Senior Member Senior Member The Daimyo's Avatar

If you are ever stuck in a gun fight, and all you can both do is shoot, then it is best to arrange your men in a single row vs. your enemies men when on flat ground and within medium or long range. The shooters from both sides have a tendancy to shoot the guy in the middle and work their way out.
    The more of them you kill per volley means that the more time they lose having to shuffle back into formation.

In the event that you are surrounded or having to take on melee units with your gun units, yet you have some distance and time to fire at them with - make sure to arrange your men into lines 3 men deep and straight facing the enemy. Do not ask your men to move or skirmish or they will rout if they are already engaged or they do not have friendlies to back them up and hold of the enemy.

In the event of a Yari Ashigaru, Monk, or cavalry charge - hold your men in place (hold formation/hold position) and shoot until the last moment. Then charge your melee units at the enemy from behind or from the sides of the muskets. Keep your guns in place and firing so that the enemy engages them rather than your flankers/chargers.

This should demoralize the enemy sufficiently. This works especially well on all of the japanese units (not including Kensai or high honor monks though) and the Korean melee units.

------------------
    The Daimyo
    Miaowara "Kakizaki" Tomokato
    @ http://www.planettotalwar.com

I sometimes lay my guns in 2 lines when l am suspect a rush and unclick the fire at will mode. You can have them selected and remove the command when the enemy is real close and they shall inleash a very powerful shot!

------------------
    Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
    http://lod.fateback.com
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

For what it's worth, when I had my LAN set up I tested musk in 2 rows vs musk in 3 rows. The musk in 3 ranks always won. I think this is due in part to the first volley rarely getting any kills near max range. The unit in 3 ranks fires it's 2nd and 3rd volleys before the unit in 2 ranks gets off it's second volley. The unit in 2 ranks doesn't seem to be able to recover from this initial casualty disadvantage.

At close range, it may be a different story. I've never tested it. I've always felt that a single, short range, full power volley would be preferable for repelling a charging enemy unit, but you have to manually manage the guns to achieve this. I always leave my guns in 3 rows, and put my management into my hth units.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2