Thread: The sad state of multiplayer Shogun...

Well after quite a number of friendly online games i am beginning to find online Shogun quite boring...

Not meaning to be melodramatic, but he are my reasons why:

1. Lack of balanced interesting opposition armies especially with myself being a player that likes to play with the whole range of different unit types
    - flat land: armies consist of loads of musketeers, ND and Monks.
    - high land: armies consist of loads of archers, ND and Monks.

Can CA not put a limit to the number of units allowed of certain types? Mainly musketeers and monks?

2. Uselessness of JHC in relation to almost all the other cheaper units, see other thread for reasons why: http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002301.html

3. Inability to seem to find a happy medium with morale. Firstly it was set way too high, now it seems that once the units go, they just all follow suit no matter how high their honour is?!

The current favourite setup of Monks, NDs and Musketeers seems to utilise the weaknesses in the morale to the full extent, hence its popularity. Guns initially demoralise, then the shock troops finish the demoralising job!

4. Power rating and demoralising effect of musketeers. We all know about this, i have faced countless h0 musketeers in armies and had my whole army just up and leg it as soon as they try to attack them from any which way!

EuroLord and the fellow beta testers did briefly inspire me in online Shogun with the friendlies i had against them...Thanks for that

In regards to online gaming, till improvements, cya

DRJ
    =MizuDoc Otomo=
    =Clan Takiyama=

Doctor,

Don't give up. With both guns and monks costing more than in STW, the gun/monk army must be less effective than it was in STW. Take some guns, ND and WM yourself. Play with people that agree to units limts. Play with modified stats. Play no guns. Play at 10,000 koku with honor upgrades. Play multiplayer with some regular allies to bring teamwork into the game as a major factor. There are lots of options to have some great games, and there are a lot of players online who want this type of gameplay.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

well as far as i can tell the morale now is the same as old shogun and now as monks and musks cost more it is harder to get monk/musk armies. . so i don't see what the whole big prob is? we got used to it in shogun original i am sure we can all get used to it again now!

------------------

Watch out for that. . . . . Dam too late!. . . the story of my life!

WarlordWarrior
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

I agree Doctor. I too am a fan of balance armies and the give and take of a pitched battle between honorable generals. Though just a newbie here and online I am learning that many people are simply ladder players. The only reason they play is to advance up the ladder. These folks have no honor. Whatever they can do to get to more honor points so they can move from 59th to 58th on the ladder is what they are going to do.

Its time to call a spade a spade here. These ladder players have no honor. They have lost all interest in what actually made this game fun to play. That is the strategy. Trying to outguess your opponent. Setting up your forces according to landscape and weather. All these men want is a 5000 koku game on Totomi. Where is the true honor in the same game on the same land that you always play. Sure you may gain some honor points in the system but you lose them in my eyes. I have found the only way to defeat these guys is to fight fire with fire and load up on monks and musks as well. Give them a taste of their own medicine and they are apt to not want to play you again. Anyway I search for men of true honor, not the kind that can be measured with points on a website. But the kind who fight strictly so that they can once again feel the sting of battle and feel vindicated in either victory or defeat knowing that they fought with TRUE HONOR.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Mongo

------------------
    There is a time to fight and a time to retreat it is wise to know the difference.
    There is a time to fight and a time to retreat it is wise to know the difference.

A game can't be perfect.

The patched MI is surely far better than the old MI. Now you have to play good to win. Play crap, and you will lose. And this will lead to better skilled players after all. Lower the morale, more skill is needed, that is not a bad thing.

Muskets are muskets...they were always unbalanced. And now they fire in rain, and kill with a higher rate cuz the game is faster. And theyre funky cheap.

Monks to 600 koku, HC beefed up and muskets should not fire in rain...even if they are MEANT to fire...who cares? We just want a balanced game. Now RAIN = LAG and LAG only!

Tera

------------------
    Honour to Clan Torîi Aku.

Visit my resource centre here!
    Evil is within us...

[This message has been edited by Terazawa Tokugawa (edited 10-02-2001).]

yep tera i agree with u in the gun rain thing i don't know y they changred it i certainly didn't hear any1 ask 4 it?

mongo plz don't generalise so much, not all ladder players just hunt for honour! i am on the ladder and have been high up does this mean i have no hounour? i think not many ppl on the ladder just play the game coz we enjoy it. . . i used to be like that hunting for honour but after a while i found out there is no point as there is no fun. . i havent played a copmp gfame for ages!. . probab;y about a month . . i just play the game for fun now and i enjoy being with my friends and clan m8's. . give it time and these new newbie ladder climbers will do the same! but plz don't generalise so much. . we aint all bad

------------------

Watch out for that. . . . . Dam too late!. . . the story of my life!

WarlordWarrior
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

Cant expect to be the best overnight......
    the way it should be

Swooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosssssshhh!!

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

the goldfish Senior Member tootee's Avatar

I play against anybody of any army with my balanced army of no more than 4 max for any unit type, always.. it's always challenging to beat those unbalanced army.. and fun too because it's testing my skill.. who care about my opponents.. DON'T BE SCARE TO LOSE!

------------------
    tootee the toothless warrior (aka goldfish shimazu)
    ------------------
    tootee the goldfish,
    loyal roach of Clan S.G.

Senior Member Senior Member Dark Phoenix's Avatar

When I was playing online I would only play people that I know like Elmo, clan mates and allies.

------------------
    DoragonPhoenix of the Clan Doragon

"DP is correct" - Shiro
    DP is correct - Shiro

Well i may well pop in to the server and hunt out those players that i enjoyed playing against... although it is a tough enough job finding them or being on at the same times!

The CA team still need to address many of these balancing issues before this game is played with good balanced armies and not armies selected solely from 3 unit types

------------------
    Online name: DrJambo Ouchi
    =MizuDoc Otomo=
    =Clan Takiyama=