Thread: Highest level General is Rank 8 - here is why.

I have answered my own question - with a bit of "cheating" to do it.

I took a running game, and modified the number of wins my general (and heir) had - He was rank 6 (with 35 wins) at the start. I bumped him up to 64 - and checked - yup he was Rank 7 - but no change in the text. Back out and shoot him up to 128 wins - go back and he is Rank 8 - BUT the text still is the same - but shows the # of wins and the new rank - so guess what - according to the text my guys only still get +3 honor (only???LOL)
    Looking at the units though - they actually have +4 honor - so it works. I kicked the wins up to 256 and my wonderful general is now back at rank 0 - which means the buffer is 255. At 255 wins (and 0 losses) the text is the same for a rank 6 general - I have ingame snapshots if anyone wants them - just let me know and I will icq or email em to ya - you can see that they were all taken on the same game "turn" etc...
    Qapla!

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "A mind is a terrible thing to taste."
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

255 max... seems reasonable as it would take 256 net wins to reset the generals rank or 64 years straight battles... not including rank 6 heirs... even then thats 56 years of battles and if you're a 72 year old daimyo that has fought all his life you might be be slightly senile.

Or about 4 battles per province!

------------------
    Victory first, Battle last.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Nice test.

One thing about the fact that your general's description text not being updated probably has something to do with that you are editing the game directly.

I think it might be possible that if you edit the general's net wins, then gives him a "real victory" from the game play, the description might become right.

Just a guess.

[This message has been edited by Gothmog (edited 10-05-2001).]
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

After I took the pics I used him - got 4 more victories and the text never changed.
    He was rank 8 with 133 victories. I still have him in a savegame.

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    BSM_Skkzarg

BSM_Skkzarg,

How did you edit the general rank? Did you use a hex editor? Or was it some text file that you edited? I am interested because this will be something useful to add to my campaign editor.

BSM_Skkzarg,

How did you edit the general rank? Did you use a hex editor? Or was it some text file that you edited? I am interested because this will be something useful to add to my campaign editor.

BSM_Skkzarg, as I have stated in your other thread regarding this issue, the general's text does not change.

What changes is the honour bonus in that text and the promotion text (the one you get when your general is promoted). The promotion text is the one that states that your general's knowledge (the one that just got promoted to rank 8) matches Sun Tzu's.

The only way to see the changes must be by playing it. Of course, this was in STW. I don't have WE/MI yet so I don't know if that has been changed or not. I managed to do it by using Tokugawa Ieyasu who was rank 6 and used him to fight every battle and assault every castle. I sometimes retreated from a province after conquering it to cause a rebellion and fight there again so I could get up to 128 victories without suffering a defeat.

Matsudaira Motoyasu - I did a straight edit of the little bugger - and after playing him I didn't get a change in the text - but he did get the extra honor bonus. (+4 instead of +3). It is in WE, not the original STW.
    I can reinstall it and try it - would be interesting.

Hecose - I used a little app I have for memory editing. Its real simple - gimme an email and I will send it to ya. I don't know that it will help you in your campaign editor. Your welcome to it either way tho. Gimme an email addy and I can send it - or email me at godsmethdealer@yahoo.com - or ICQ at 6211187. It only works in game - and you have to manually win a few battles to make it work.
    Qapla!

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    BSM_Skkzarg