Thread: To rout or not to rout

Played a 4v4 game recently, one of my allies was a newbie who put his gen in the front lines and our opponents (bless their hearts) pounced on this unfortunate newbie (2v1) and of course routed him. My problem with it all is one of four routs causing the other three generals and their virtually untouched armies to follow suit and rout. That doesnt really make sense to me. Why couldnt the other three generals at least get a chance to cross swords rather than just run like so many girl scouts? Even if these cowards run through the ranks of (some)of his allied generals men why would that render the three remaining generals useless? Allied musket support and ranks of infantry on hold position meant nothing...just seems unlikely. I really dont see three whole, untouched armies pissing themselves and running like that. As though they are naked and armed with nothing but olive branches. I know ,I know its part of the game (as it should be) and I am aware of honor, fatigue and musketts and how all of that plays into routing...I just feel that it is too easy these days to be routed.

Well it happens. Even if that newbie was very good the only thing we would have managed to do was hold enough until some of you flank both amries. Well these things happen and when a game is above 3v3 some allied amries can start far away from each other. They routed to save honor but if you faught correctly a 3v4 battle ain't difficult to win mate.

------------------
    Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
    http://lod.fateback.com
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

Yes this is part of the game i myself am a below average player...and plyd with and against good plyers...as i was takeing control of the opponent attacking me...my allie on the right flank routed... Some of his units fled through my MU caused them to rout then my whole army followed
    I just hate it when it does that,but its all part of the game,so we just got to live with it

------------------
    Shoko Emperor
    Die by the Sword

it is a good part of the game and a part i love! it brings much skill into the game at 3v3 and 4v4 level! that is when u need to know ur allies and be able to rely on them etc. .

------------------

Watch out for that. . . . . Dam too late!. . . the story of my life!

WarlordWarrior
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

One thing you have to watch out for is arriving too late to help a beleaguered ally. If you are going to send help, do it in time to make a difference. Otherwise, stand off and let him go. Once his units are off, they will no longer impact the morale of your units.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan takiyama ~~~

[This message has been edited by Puzz3D (edited 10-03-2001).]

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Miz i disagree ive played many games where my allies have routed and ive saved the day and vice versa its what makes the game soo good, I dont think people understand the uses of hold formation in conjunction with hold position and halt it really does make all the difference, just ask tosa about the battle where i messed up and got hit by 3 armies charging at me downhill , held for ages till rage devil got across and together we routed them, not that i had much left but its all a learning curve.

swooooooooooooooosh

[This message has been edited by Swoosh So (edited 10-03-2001).]

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

I'd feel alot better about it if yer Taisho were able to lop a few heads as his men ran by...that'll keep 'em from running

Swoosh,

You have to know your ally so you can estimate how long he can hold. My point is that, if your relief force arrives too late, then it will probably be swept away when your ally's army routs. A newbie is not likely to hold for very long. You have to make the decision to assist earlier with a player like that.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

I like playing such games but the thing that keeps me away from them even in friendly games is the dman lag!!!
    The interesting part is beggining with the enemy next to your flank and the question you are asking yourself.
    "To help my mate or is he about to rout and he shall take my untis with me

------------------
    Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
    http://lod.fateback.com
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

Lol 2 miz peeps now we all getting confused. Lol i agree that u cant tell how long an unknown ally will hold, But when i play with newbies i BARK! instructions to them Lol i am a newbies nighmare as a partner i do nothing but type instructions. I find that with the right commands an inexperienced player can be a good ally because they will listen more. One of my favourate battles ever was fighting 4 fears on bk valley, I had 1 exp ally kyoda (was it hedley i forget), anyway we barked orders to the newbies and after a great battle 4 fears ran for their lives GOD i loved that battle!!!

Was so proud of those newbies!!

Swoooooooooooooooooooooosh

hmm infact i believe one of them has gone on to become a clan player

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Heheheh That was a good battle Swoosh.

[This message has been edited by Fearoffucy (edited 10-04-2001).]
    The strength of my arms, the power of my soul, the valour of my men... These all belong to the Fear Clan. I'm ready to fight in the name of the clan.
    Shogun 2 on Facebook

Swoosh,

That cooperative aspect of multiplayer adds a great deal of interest and enjoyment to the game. It can be frustrating with unknown allies, but the occasional victory with allies that are still way down on the learning curve is very satitfying. I once teamed with a player in a 2v2 on Totomi who had yet to win a game, and we defeated two players who had been beating up on him for weeks. You can't believe how excited that player was to get a win, and I was really happy for him. I'm always trying to win for my allies more than myself.

Now if I can just get back online... Sometime next week I should have a modem connection working.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

Heya fucy!! lol i thought you great generals had retired!! good to see u!

Installing mi as i speak its my last week online and im going out with a bang!

Swooooooooooooooooooooooosssssh!!!!!!!!!!

Buddha

I for one sure appreciate the help that veterans offer. Its like actually having a real Taisho in charge of your teams efforts. Think of it, not necessarily having someone in charge but more of a co-ordinator certainly does make things work better especially in an attack. I will say this; playing with Swoosh sometimes feels like being in boot camp I can also say that though I may have been killed and routed I dont recall losing a battle with good ol Swoosh on my side "Here she comes to save the day!" (sung to the mighty mouse theme)

Swoosh,

What do you mean "last week online", and "going out with a bang"? It has a rather final ring to it.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

I think that the problem exists now with the new patch in the mi game. Not a big deal in stw or mi without the patch.
    I have seen many a hardened taisho have his army rout without suffering much of a blow at all.
    I wonder if it is the new morale? Or the guns? OR what. But the games are ending quickly. As soon as there seems to be a definate switch in momentum to the winning side, the game goes right to the victory/defeat page.
    It is frustrating.
    Watashiwa Yagyu Jubei desu Ganbate

Senior Member Senior Member ElmarkOFear's Avatar

The reason you won Swoosh was due to the fact that I was playing with the Fears and they got in the way of my rout path!!! I warned them but did they listen? NoOoOooO LOL My Nike contract is still intact!
    PS. I have noticed though that whole armies are really routing early, before contact or any serious losses have occured. You can only recover from these whole-army routs if you partners distract the enemy and he stops chasing you. It is very hard to rally with the new patch.

[This message has been edited by ElmarkOFear (edited 10-04-2001).]
    I have seen the future of TW MP and it is XBox Live!

Lol yukki i meant im giving up the internet and going to have as much fun in my last week online as i can with shogun, I have been rippped off from british telecom for WOW lol its been 10 months, I tried to resolve my bad connection by offering to pay for 2 full lines just to get the functionality of a full line so that i could get asdl installed but they wont do it. Maybe cable comes along to my hoose in bonnie scotland and saves me

Just as a word on this i will miss loads of u peeps never thought id be hooked on a game like this but its the people in the community that kept me coming back and i probably will again.

So heres to 300 drunken bad humoured knobbly kneed ashi net warriors!!!!

Swooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh!!!

Buddha

Hey swoosh, if I let ya call me grasshopper will u stick around?

Senior Member Senior Member ElmarkOFear's Avatar

Darn Swoosh! You just got the patch almost the way you wanted it and now you won't be able to enjoy it much. Take care and hope to see you back with us soon.
    I have seen the future of TW MP and it is XBox Live!