Thread: Favorite province

This is not the same question as the other topic about favorite map.

In the SP campaign, which is your favorite province to own. In other words, if each clan started with just one province, which would you choose?

Mine is Hitachi - coastal, rich farmland (something like 400), iron sand deposits so you can build an armoury, and not so insanely flat as some other Eastern provinces.
    Dewa is nice too, quite possibly the best looking map for Shogun imo. The fact it is highland, has rich soils and veins of gold is a bonus. It only has borders with a few other provinces and it is also coastal.

[This message has been edited by kain (edited 10-03-2001).]

Wow, mine is Hitachi too.
    You can build an armoury, great koku output, coastal map, and protected from the enemy after you take Mutsu...

Tera

------------------
    Honour to Clan Torîi Aku.

Visit my resource centre here!
    Evil is within us...

Yep, I like Hitachi too. Second I like Yamashiro. Because it is +1 for everything.

The worthless is Izu.

P.
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you on the field of battle, and hear the lamentation of their women.

Oh ya... I like the Island Sado..Because a Armory there. Sometimes I forget.

P.
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you on the field of battle, and hear the lamentation of their women.

Hitachi's my favorite holding province too. My favorite fighting province would have to be Kaga though. It's nearly always a challenge attacking or defending.

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

Shinano.

I guess every old-STW player had a good time here fighting thousands of hordes. Its fine cavalry and armoury are exploited in nearly every campaign.

All the provinces are my favourite. I care less for the koku(it's only rice anyway) Chop ass.

------------------
    Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
    http://lod.fateback.com
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

Shinano, Hitachi, Sado, Dewa and Musashi, in that order. Shinano boasts the bonus to cavalry, max it out and its your Yari sam and all cav producer. Hitachi is my musket, monk, no-dachi, kensai and BN maker, and Sado is my retraining ground. Notice Archers are not anywhere in here - the reason is simple - I build em in the Imagawa province thats famous for them and gives +1 honor (so you end up building Archers at Honor 3) then ship them straight to Sado for retraining with legendary armor, weapons, etc. Combine them with a high honor general - and you end up with Honor 5 or 6 Archers to fresh and ready for battle... who could ask for anything more?
    Qapla!

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "A mind is a terrible thing to taste."
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"

Definitely Shinano.

1) I love cavalry units and Shinano is the homeland of horsemen.

2) Strategically Shinano has so many borders that it's the key to eastern Japan. And those steep cliffs make the province very defendable. When playing eastern clans, Shinano is a must-have. When playing western clans, Shinano is a royal pain in the butt (thus a must-have as well).

3) Historically Shinano (well, part of it) is what made Takeda clan and Shengin so great. And also it's where those legendary battles between Takeda Shengin and Uesugi Kenshin took place.

[This message has been edited by Gothmog (edited 10-04-2001).]
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Shinano's benefits are also its downsides - it's surrounded by everyone, his brother, and his dozen cousins, and they're all out to get ya because the horse bonus is so good.

I actually like Owari. The ashigaru bonus is (arguably) among the most useful in the game, it has good income, and a river too. Therefore, the 1530 Oda campaign is the thing for me.

------------------
    "Feeling deeply the difference between oneself and others, bearing ill will and falling out with people – these things come from a heart that lacks compassion. If one wraps up everything with a heart of compassion, there will be no coming into conflict with people."
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

I like any province that has +1 Warrior Monks!!!
    Im a monkey 'till the end!

I say Shinano. I was able to raise an all-cavalry army, minimum H5, legendary weapons, armour, morale and discipline (lead by my Damiyo), and proceeded to righteously smite every opponent i found (except for those cowards who hid in the trees till my time ran out)... any province that can do that has got to be good.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this ra..." Famous last words indeed...

Shinano Hitachi Echigo and Dewa are my favourite provinces.

Noto kazusa and Izu and Awaji my least favourite.

OWARI I HATE THE MOST (I'll explain this later).

Shinano is a province you HAVE TO HAVE once you have enough archers, yari samurai and yari cavalry to defend. If not, you are toast against Takeda's fast moving army. It's got the resources and 'gates' to other provinces and it will serve either as a bastion bane.

I love Dewa because it's so isolated and it's got a mine and rich in koku. Once you got echigo and Mutsu, this is a resource growing province.

Hitachi - a must have because of Koku + armoury

The rest are useless!. I hate OWARI because of the freakin computer bug. Even after I take the province, if I get attacked the enemy don't know which bridge to cross...so we are 'locked' in a standstill. And since I don't have my timer on, my 'defending' forces suddenly will have to ATTACK to finish the goddamn battle...that really sucks

What're you lot on about?
    I luv Shinano, It has an armory AND higher honor cavalry plus it has 10 surrounding provinces so you have some brilliant battles defending it with your +1 honor heavy cavalry. Hitachi is OK but a bit boring, I love defensive battles. One time I was holding Owari in the ironman campaign from Hojo. I had a skeleton crew of 200 men there (1 BN, 1 archer, 2 spearmen) and Hoj attacked with a crew of 800 men 1st season, 900 2nd, and 1000 men for the 3rd and 4th seasons. Amazingly enough I held the province for all four seasons and only ended up losing 50ish spearmen! A brilliant battle indeed. One reason I luv Owari, Constant fights against Hojo, Oda, or Imagawa (depending on who you are).

------------------
    -------------------------
    Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra. Suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night the ice weasels come.
    -------------------------
    Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra. Suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night the ice weasels come.

Quote Originally posted by Takeda Kenshin:
    I had a skeleton crew of 200 men there (1 BN, 1 archer, 2 spearmen) and Hoj attacked with a crew of 800 men 1st season, 900 2nd, and 1000 men for the 3rd and 4th seasons. Amazingly enough I held the province for all four seasons and only ended up losing 50ish spearmen! A brilliant battle indeed. One reason I luv Owari, Constant fights against Hojo, Oda, or Imagawa (depending on who you are).
    [/QUOTE]

wow, impressive.

How did you pull it through again? Did you turn ammo off?

Pain is weakness leaving the body.