Thread: Spending koku

So, with the possibilities of buying armor and weapons upgrades as well as boosting honor when purchasing units, what is the best "bang for your buck"?? Do you upgrade the weapons on missile units or armor? Or is it honor? Should one only buy honor for melee units? or would armor be a better idea? Does upgrading guns in any way make a differance or should you just buy more of them?

Ahhh good questions - it depends on what your going to use the units for. Armor is useful on Archers and your heavy units - as it gives them more survivability. Add weapons to your shock troops - monks and no-dachi.
    Add honor to your missile troops first - as it improves their accuracy. Your hand to hand guys can also get some honor - it improves their morale - and with the patch thats NICE - however - dont go overboard. A couple of cheap honor points is one thing - but the more you get - the more it costs.
    balance is everything

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "A mind is a terrible thing to taste."
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"

Upgrades are very expensive.

You don't need weapon for missiles. Armour only.
    And for hand-to-hand...get weapon.

Honour is expensive as weapon...armour is more expensive. Try a combo weapon/armor...

Tera

------------------
    Honour to Clan Torîi Aku.

Visit my resource centre here!
    Evil is within us...

I expand over a reasonable area quickly without producing many more units. I then use all the koku I saved to build up the upgrades whilst just defending. By the time I have full upgrades the computer has good sized armies which makes my battles skill/upgrades etc. against numbers. This gives a good variety of battles throughout a campaign.

------------------
    Fight first, ask questions later.
    ROFL..Zone does not rest [MIZILUS]
    I don't play to win... I play not to lose ;)
    Thx whoever made the smilies work :D but now they don't again...
    1BC Civ3 forums

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

If you are expanding your holdings your really don't need missle troops...they are better defensively...invest in armor for spear troops and calvary (Nagi Calv!!)...numerous armored troops can overpower fewer shock troops any day...
    Silence is beautiful

Spending money in campaign mode is easy, what I mean is spending money for online battles. Is there a method to this madness?? What are the rules of thumb?

Miz,

Thanks for clarifying! There is a method to the madness - honor does 3 things - it increases your attack, defense and morale bonuses. Every honor level gives a small bonus in morale - while it seems that every 2 levels of honor create a +1 bonus to attack and defense. Since at lower levels 2 honor points (+2 morale,+1 attack, +1 defense) is often about the same cost as one upgrade to armor and weapons - morale is the better choice. However - as you increase the levels, the next "step" up costs more - so to start honor is the better buy. Once you can purchase an increase of armor and weapons cheaper than you can purchase 2 steps in honor - go with the upgrade instead. Compare the cost of 1 upgrade on each vs 2 honor points - if the cost is close or if honor costs less - go with honor - if it costs more - go with the weapon/armor upgrade.

This of course assumes all things are equal. If for instance you know your facing an opponent who uses shock troops - you may want to invest in the armor at the expense of weaponry so that you can blunt his assualt. If your facing a force of gunpowder units - high honor may be better (even if its more expensive) to keep your men from routing as quickly. However, in most cases - its best to use a balanced approach when possible.
    Hope this helps, and if my numbers seem off to any of those who mod = feel free to correct my impressions.
    Qapla!

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "A mind is a terrible thing to taste."
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"