Thread: Battlefield Ninjas, or, Why I Quit Playing Shogun

That’s it. I quit. The BNinjas have forced me to shelve Shogun. I didn’t want to do it, I like the game a lot, but the insane situation brought to the battlefield by the BN is unacceptable. I'm not running the patch, if it makes any difference.

Here’s the scene: In the middle of a bridge defense (1580 Campaign), I am kicking the living crap out of Hojo and Imagawa (duel attack), then boom! I see four units of BN coming over the bridge. I commit all my melee troops to the defense. Total rout.

The BN can’t be killed by arrows, they can’t be killed by Warrior Monks, they can’t be killed. Period. Their morale and attack ratings are too high, plus they can’t be seen until the last minute. This is an historically-based unit? Are you kidding me? CA needs to either get rid of the unit altogether, or tone it way down.

I’m going back to Combat Mission until this is fixed. In case it's not fixed, thanks to the Sword Dojo and all the members for the great information, both before and after I started playing. Peace.

------------------

It is always wise to have one unit at least of yari cavalry in your army. They destroy BN very easily.

Yari cav is a good solution to BN and Kensai - in fact - any cavalry unit is good against both these foot based groups. Also - BN do fall under musket fire - as do Kensai - but it must be concentrated. One unit taking a couple of shots won't do.

------------------
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "A mind is a terrible thing to taste."
    BSM_Skkzarg
    "ARG when I'm Happy, ARG when I'm Sad, ARG when I'm good or bad. ARG!"
    "ARG to port! ARG to starboard! Arg from stem to stern! ARG!"

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

if you're not running the patch, then consider yourself lucky the BN didn't appear behind your army as enemy reinforcements. (what the hell, you still lost so maybe you weren't as lucky as i would presume)

Actually BN can be easily killed by missile troops (muskets and archers). They seem invincible because they cannot be targetted on the first run. But the minute they engage in a melee with your troops or fire arrows, it will be possible to target them with your guns already.

Excuse me, but I find it amusing. Decide to quit a game because the AI managed a win?

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

That's a nice point Gothmog

Oh, and Jackson, don't shelve STW, uninstall MI and play the origional. It's far too good to give up!

------------------
    Fight first, ask questions later.
    ROFL..Zone does not rest [MIZILUS]
    I don't play to win... I play not to lose ;)
    Thx whoever made the smilies work :D but now they don't again...
    1BC Civ3 forums

They're tough to be sure but I've cut them to ribbons with either HC, NC, Monks & ND. I always lose about a fourth of my men though, depending on the honor of the men in black. My own ninja have certainly fallen to arrows and I've lost entire units them in river crossing rear attacks gone bad.

Oh and Jackson, before you give up on WI, I had a castle assault wherein I used a non-upgraded unit of BN to march up to the castle gate and shoot those 12 or 15 arquibusiers only to have 4 of them drop in the 1st salvo. They killed about 5 arques before the next salvo waxed 3 more and they ran away like little girlies straight through my lines and off the map.

I havent got MI and havent played STW for a while cos some fool tricked me into running a counter-strike clan:

Is is worth buying MI?
    (1st thread ive seen here for 2 months)

2 Months? Have a look through the last few pages of previous threads, you'll find too much to read if you had a year. Some people like it, some don't. There's now the patch aswell.

I'd say yes but have a look at earlier threads from a couple of weeks ago.

------------------
    1BC Civ3 forums

Quote Originally posted by Jackson:
    That’s it. I quit. The BNinjas have forced me to shelve Shogun. I didn’t want to do it, I like the game a lot, but the insane situation brought to the battlefield by the BN is unacceptable. I'm not running the patch, if it makes any difference.

Here’s the scene: In the middle of a bridge defense (1580 Campaign), I am kicking the living crap out of Hojo and Imagawa (duel attack), then boom! I see four units of BN coming over the bridge. I commit all my melee troops to the defense. Total rout.

The BN can’t be killed by arrows, they can’t be killed by Warrior Monks, they can’t be killed. Period. Their morale and attack ratings are too high, plus they can’t be seen until the last minute. This is an historically-based unit? Are you kidding me? CA needs to either get rid of the unit altogether, or tone it way down.

I’m going back to Combat Mission until this is fixed. In case it's not fixed, thanks to the Sword Dojo and all the members for the great information, both before and after I started playing. Peace.

[/QUOTE]

You felt it neccessary to waste bandwidth by posting this on the forums why? Nobody cares if you quit, and it doesn't really help you or others if you haven't tried different ways of getting rid of the BN. Although I do feel it neccessary to give you credit for recognizing the fact that BN and Heavy Cav are indeed different units. *applause*

Senior Member Senior Member Krasturak's Avatar

Gah!

As far as 'wasting bandwidth' goes, why did you quote the guys entire post?

Krast just read it a minute ago.

Gah!

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

Holy shit!
    LN is back!
    (or this just some trick by Shiro......?)

Quote Originally posted by Gothmog:
    Excuse me, but I find it amusing. Decide to quit a game because the AI managed a win?
    [/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. How stupid is it that you quit a game because you lost? With the freaking patch I lose in SP when id regurally kick some a$$. Oh man I lost a multiplayer game IM NOT PLAYING ANYMORE

Too bad, he quit before having his 50th post. It would have made a difference because if he had quit while a Samurai, he would have lost honor. Oh well...

------------------
    "Je vous repondrai par la bouche de mes canons"
    -Frontenac
    (I will answer you with the blast of my canons)
    -Trad. libre
    "Je vous repondrai par la bouche de mes canons"
    -Frontenac
    (I will answer you with the blast of my canons)
    -Trad. libre

heheheheheeh

------------------
    "It's better to let the enemy alive as to kill it ... To TORTURE it!"
    It's better to let the enemy alive as to kill it ... To TORTURE it

Hear hear.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this ra..." Famous last words indeed...

He obviously doesn't have any upgrades anyway, routed first time

He's certainly lost any sense.

------------------
    1BC Civ3 forums

No tricks Soly, it's really me. I have to contribute to getting rid of the CS disease somehow. (Have to play counter-strike and visited the official forums to understand my little nickname for the original post).